DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bird Attack

With a minute of takeoff today I had a huge hawk eyeing my Mavic, anyone ever have a bird attack their drone?

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots
I had an incident of a large kite have a go while the drone was in auto land mode at about 40 meters.I had to evade 3 times or so and eventuall devided to dive into some trees to get away it is cheaper to replace props than drones

Reactions: younumpty
does anyone know what the average speed for most common birds like seagulls and hawks is? Do they usually stop at some altititude hight? If these facts are known perhaps we can fly ours higher and faster than them. LOL

thanks!! Wow these guys are fast. I didn't know birds can fly at speeds around 80-100mph. crazy!!! So much for trying to out run them. :(

With a minute of takeoff today I had a huge hawk eyeing my Mavic, anyone ever have a bird attack their drone?

Hi, Yes I've had seagulls attach it, or more to the point, buse it. I've also had a swarm of wasps attack it with a poor outcome for them and a messy outcome for my Mavic Pro.

This is one of my biggest fears... cuz its a variable u cant control of course. Ive seen vids of attacks, it definately happens. I got a tracker cuz of it

I see bike riders with cable ties sticking out of their helmet to fend off magpies and crows here in Australia, surely we don't need to go down that path? :D

In Ireland Kerry Mountains. Small bird of prey. Didn't quite make it out looking up. Grabbed stopped a motor and then fell out of sky @80 mph into the mountain. 4 hour hike later bits of phantom 3 on a 50 foot path of debris. Bad day. Bird unharmed.

Fly safe... :)

I've had hawks come after my racing quad a few times. Good thing no bird I'm aware of can go 60+ mph as quickly as my quad.

So anyone found a way to get the birds to stop targetting or Mavic?

I'm thinking of trying to turn off VPS and maybe skinned my Mavic a bright Orange...
think it will work?

Just a note. From my experience so far. Certain birds will fly towards it and try to test its reaction and i noticed that when i fly away to escape them they usual give chase but if I get aggressive and start to chase them instead it seems to have great effect. They get scurred and fly away for good 9 times out of 10. So far ive had groups of small birds, geese, and other larger birds mess with me and never went down from it yet

I strongly believe that if I ever crash out it will be from a bird attack. Its the only variable I can not control that I encounter often it sucks. Its the main reason i fly with a trackimo tracker attached & have crash perfection/dji refresh

Reactions: Soundtekk
Birds are dicks. I usually just left stick up and gain some altitude, they don't ever seem to be able to chase it vertically well.

Reactions: bschaub
I strongly believe that if I ever crash out it will be from a bird attack. Its the only variable I can not control that I encounter often it sucks.

Yeah I agree, thankfully you don't seem to see too many actual crashes from birds although a few people in this thread have posted about theirs. They certainly do hassle it though and a crash from a bird seems the biggest threat if you're a conservative flier.

Thanks for the tip about chasing them and not backing down, I think I've also seen that behavior - I tend to be more bird-shy with the mavic because it's expensive but when I've been flying my bugs 3 which I recently got I've been less inclined to fly away when they mob it and I've also noticed they seem to back off after a little while. The eyes I fitted to my mavic also seem to help.

In the last two weeks, my Mavic has attracted the interest of a hawk - it flew close for a good look, but not much more - last week, it attracted the attention off 4 pigeons whilst I was using the drone to look for a leak on a friends roof. They were less friendly, and flew directly at the Mavic - wings out wide and squawking.

Needless to say, I hit the right stick to gain altitude.

When I landed the pigeons perched on a nearby roof, and each time I took off, they went for the Mavic.

Luckily, I had the footage we needed.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78