DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bird Attack

This happen to me Last week, didn't even see it coming til the last second. Thought for sure the bird was gonna take me out. Live and learn

The building in the back looks like the new Apple Campus. Maybe that is their anti-drone defense system.

I had a flock of birds playing with my drone during a flight...they kept flying around in a big circle right through the drone. It was pretty scary, I just flew out of the area until they calmed down.

I have had hawks watch the drone around my house and start flying around it. I normally just bring it back home quickly and land it.
I have that several times with pigeons, large pack just circling and circling

Im putting red skin on mine and some eyes, as we speak 2017-07-19 13.35.47.jpg . Birds dont like bright colors or eyes.

Some small birds go nuts to, diving reel close. I had big blackbrid vulture chase the mavic and not let up. They didnt chase my Inpire 2 though!

Oyster bird in Northern Norway, trying to dog fight my Mavic. I was wearing the goggles, I would have missed it just looking at my phone screen.

7d3762b3f599fe84d0df544bb6a21ef9.gif

Original in 4k.

Given the brief glimpse and the behavior of the bird, I am going to guess you were duelling with a Leucistic Red Tailed Hawk. It is a relatively rare genetic mutation of the very common Red Tailed Hawk except they lack most the usual pigment.View attachment 17631

I was thinking a Mississippi Kite. If you look closely it has red eyes, kinda like this one Mississippi_Kite_JerryOldenettel_FlickrCC_0.jpg

And i believe it was between a juvenile and adult
image.aspx.jpg

I could be wrong though.

Last edited:
Im putting red skin on mine and some eyes, as we speak View attachment 17652 . Birds dont like bright colors or eyes.

Some small birds go nuts to, diving reel close. I had big blackbrid vulture chase the mavic and not let up. They didnt chase my Inpire 2 though!
I have heard of others doing this, but, does it actually work?

if you see a bird around always engage sport mode and climb as fast as you can.

Never descent.

By climbing they will believe you are a predator.
Prey always dive.
Raptors always climb for attack

Ya after this encounter I did some research and you are correct every time I see the bird now I go straight up and it seems to back off.

I have had a few run ins with barn swallows, they are notorious for diving at people. I must have been close to a nest as two swallows were circling and dive bombing at the Mavic, but never made contact.

I must have shredded a large bug on one of my last flights, as I brough drone to the ground there were bug guts all over one of my props and the side of the drone... bad day for that little guy... Did not notice anything in footage, but hit some sort of big bug for sure.

Guys, one word - "Strobes!," I can't stress it enough. I've mentioned it previously in another thread - birds don't like flashing bright lights. I have seen it at work (I'm in airport operations) and pilots flash their headlights when they land and take off. I have 2 white cree strobes - 1 at the rear, and 1 on the top at the front. I also have a green and red strobe on the front leg extensions to indicate port and starboard. These cree strobes are incredibly bright (especially the white ones) and give the birds something to run from.
Also, as mentioned here aggressive colours (like my red wrap) are a general warning in the animal world - to keep away, I'm dangerous.
Can't impress you guys enough - a standard Mavic looks like a pansy to a bird - but a bright red flashing flying machine is a fearful sight.

The trick is to fly UP. Birds are relatively bad at that. They usually loose their interests (or their balls) immediately.

I've just got my new mavic. First flight i had was more or less up and down to get a feel. I then took it to a bay where a large mother Herron chased down my drone. Sport mode and changing direction every 2-3 seconds and flying up and down helps. Also I recommend flying towards yourself as birds won't go near you.

Now today I fly up and swallows try attacking my drone. About 50 of them! I feel nervous flying my drone now but I think a skin might help as the mavic is grey and has a bird like colour. Unlike a phantom. Size is also an issue.

I'd also like to add aswell.

If your planning on flying near birds. Take safety precautions and plan an escape. If your out in the water fly towards any land to avoid turning your mavic into the flying titanic. And if your flying over a forest to get some shots, scope out some open areas to crash land or to gain cover from birds.

Went flying today to test out GPS waypoints. I stopped over some trees to program a waypoint and saw a squadron of little birds flying near my Mavic. It was only until I moved that I realized they were coming for me. Luckily I had good orientation of my craft because I went full tilt. They chased me and were catching up so I went vertical while my finger hovered over Sport Mode. I thought I was going to lose my Mavic but I held out long enough and put some distance away from their nesting area for them to lose interest.

Reactions: WizDrone
I installed the "shark" teeth,and eyes on my MP first flight out with them on I had three large birds diving at the MP? Apprently they were looking for a fight!:D

This is where sports mode plus can help. 8-10m/s ascent will keep your bird safe.

This is where sports mode plus can help. 8-10m/s ascent will keep your bird safe.
They followed the MP up and down! I finally lost them in fast forward flight,while ascending fast.

Here's a short video of them playing with the MP!
These are Night Hawks. They are only a problem in the late evenings.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki