DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bird Attack

3c71ff70a13db39249c3a5af250a391e.jpg

Birds hate the **** out of it.

I had a large hawk swoop in to try to grab my Mavic while descending to land, fortunately I saw him coming from a ways off and just as he got close I darted beneath him. He looked back at it but I was already descending, and I guess he figured it was too late for another try because he slowly flapped off to a nearby tree.

I put an "Apocalypse Red" skin on my Mavic to try to dissuade birds from taking an interest, but this skin isn't quite as bright as I hoped so I bought a "Bullseye" skin which is a bright red. If the birds still show an interest in my skinned Mavic I will switch to the Bullseye, and then if they still show an interest will consider strobes or other means of deterrent.

Mavic Pro quadcopter with "Apocalypse Red" skin from DecalGirl by Joe Eckert, on Flickr

-Joe

I had a red tailed hawk go after my MP yesterday and caught a part of it on video. As soon as I have time to edit the video with just the hawk I'll post it. Don't want to post the entire video. I saw the bird coming as I was flying within line of site. I quickly descended and the hawk missed grabbing the MP.

I installed the "shark" teeth,and eyes on my MP first flight out with them on I had three large birds diving at the MP? Apprently they were looking for a fight!:D
This exactly!!

I have a brightish red skin already installed on my new mavic and 5 or so flights, had no issues with birds, but I know there are lots of kites where I live

I installed the shark teeth and eyes (smallish eyes) and first flight out, I drew the attention of a Kite which got pretty **** close. Thankfully, my spotter alerted me and I darted up straight away and tried to get away but the kite chased me... I managed to land safely.

But i went back up when the kite was no longer in sight... (Had a mission I needed to do). About 40% through the mission, a couple of smaller birds got interested and started circling, I ignored them thinking smaller birds... I better be looking out for kites... Then two birds became 4 and very soon afterwards, 4 became 10. I aborted the mission and got the hell outta there.

Now I've removed the shark eyes and replaced it with eagle eyes (Pictured). I'll try again in the morning but this time, I'll be a bit more aggressive and fly towards them (Including the kite). I've read in 2 places now is you have to assert your dominance with these birds and they leave you alone

WhatsApp Image 2017-10-27 at 19.51.46.jpeg

Last edited:
So just as a slight follow up, I believe having eyes on your quad attracts more attention.
I had those little Swifts surrounding my bird again even with the eagle eyes.
Took this off and I'm now somewhat ignored

Is this a bird or a gimbal issue???? I wasn't able to see the drone during this time so I don't know if this looks like a bird attack or an issue with the gimbal.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair