DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bird crash (I think)

Oyibo VFX

Reactions
It happened again, Mavic went down.
Did my first Autopilot mission this morning and that went perfect (timeline pictures). Second flight in Autopilot for timeline movie went well. The same route I fly 3 to 4 times per week. And it hit the highest pylon (55m) while my altitude is set at 60m AGL. Still hit the pylon but there where some birds. I have no flight record and the movie is not working either. Very sick about this because I always do my preflight checks. The settings in Autopilot are never changed because the are safe.
****. Two weeks before I go home. Another DJI Care issue. Hope it's finished before I go back. Luckily I have the Inspire at home to keep my flying....

4856b780dc12d3f38aeb88ecb8281108.jpg

If the ground sloped up by just 5m that pylon then becomes 60 meters high against your take off point. you may think the land is dead flat but 5m is nothing for ground slope,. Also at any distance i am not sure i would trust the Mavic to be that accurate on its altitude. (i have seen mine flickering between a a meter or two.

how far away were you from the AC? like i say a 5m slope on the floor would take u into that pylon.

If you look at your last log it shows 3.9m if taht was on the ground level then i would say the ground had sloped upwards.

Remember the Mavic does not know where ground is,.the height is against its take off point not against ground level through the flight. That is why if you take off on a cliff and go below it drops to negative numbers.

Same will apply to a slope if you land higher than your take off point it will show a height higher than take off point.

i stand to be corrected if i am wrong

Last edited:
I flew this route for the last 5 months. It is as flat as a pool table. Believe me, I know all the barometer stories.
I'm not looking for an explanation here... Just very p****ed

I flew this route for the last 5 months. It is as flat as a pool table. Believe me, I know all the barometer stories.
I'm not looking for an explanation here... Just very p****ed
fair enough then not much anyone can do for you i guess

Reactions: Oyibo VFX
Oyibo - that is a very tough picture to look at! Sorry for your mishap and it will be interesting to follow you and the DJI Refresh process.

Good Luck!

Can you send the video?
Nope. Was the first thing I checked. But I had video till it hit the mud. But the Mavic couldn't finish the codec. So no footage. But as you can see on AirData, it maintained 60 (59,6) meters elevation as always

How did you assess the height of the pylon that you hit?

The base concern remains that all altitudes displayed by Mavic are relative to the take-off point, not above ground level...

Nope. Was the first thing I checked. But I had video till it hit the mud. But the Mavic couldn't finish the codec. So no footage. But as you can see on AirData, it maintained 60 (59,6) meters elevation as always

Not sure what you mean by this, but IF it has to do with losing power while it was recording, the final file will appear to be corrupt. It is not. It simply wasn't closed out correctly. There may be other more tedious workarounds, but the simplest way to fix an open-ended file is to put it back into the mavic (any mavic) and power back up for a moment. The file will have the wrong date/time, but it will become playable on nearly all players.

I would make a copy of the corrupted file, and then put the card in your Inspire or Phantom - or if there's another Mavic nearby.

This typically happens if the battery gets yanked while recording.

Waaaahhh, I want to post my story and picture but don't want to take any **** for it or answer any questions.

Why post this then? You need a bunch of middle aged guys telling you you're ok after a crash?

Get a grip.

[emoji107][emoji107][emoji107]
Unnecessary.....play nice

Reactions: Nikon1
You can recover the files using this tool.
It has worked for me in the past. Give it a try.
recover_mp4 1.90 Download Free - VideoHelp

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yannick 63