DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

2 Zoom Birds, birds, birds

DJ Wes

Reactions
Site
www.litchiutilities.com
While in Kansas City I captured footage of the Kansas City Terminal roundhouse. While doing so, a flock of birds repeatedly flew around my drone and got braver each time completely surrounding my drone twice. You can see this during the first minute of the video. I figured if they don't run into each other, why would they run into my drone?

I completed this video with a "dolly zoom" which I don't often see in other videos.

Freakin' awesome. 👍

I always liked train stuff since, umm, forever.

Nice job on the dolly zoom.

Thanks for sharing. ☺️

Reactions: GFields and DJ Wes
That video is really crisp and sharp. And the color is wonderful, especially considering the overcast. It's good to see that the roundhouse was preserved. Thanks for the look at it.

That's a flock of pigeons, aka Rock Dove or Columba livia. Or, as Woody Allen said the movie "Annie Hall" - flying rats. They're very good at maneuvering and flying fast in close formation; their collision avoidance systems are excellent. They like to nest and roost in sheltered places like the beams beneath those elevated tracks.

Reactions: Fizzbang
Sorry but I would not say that the birds flew closer to the drone, rather I would say you flew the drone closer to the circuits they were flying. They are pigeons and they tend to fly circuits around their coop/nest-site/roost.

Once I had seen them I would have left the area or waited until they landed.
I think you were lucky that there was not a collision that resulted in you losing the drone and possibly injuring the bird.
I mean no offense but it is their airspace, the drone is the invader, and you have the intellegence to avoid the conflict by leaving. In a small flock maybe each individual bird could see your drone but in a big flock......

Is it worth the risk to your drone?

While in Kansas City I captured footage of the Kansas City Terminal roundhouse. While doing so, a flock of birds repeatedly flew around my drone and got braver each time completely surrounding my drone twice. You can see this during the first minute of the video. I figured if they don't run into each other, why would they run into my drone?

I completed this video with a "dolly zoom" which I don't often see in other videos.

I loved this one! Slow and deliberate flying, nice compositions, instructional and informative with great pop up titles, great coloring and editing, and finally, a nice music track which fitted in well from Eric Matyas, who supplies free music with attribution. The dolly zoom at the end was impressive, I do agree!

Dale
Miami

Reactions: DJ Wes
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest