DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Birds...how scared should I be?

Birds...are you scared

• Total voters
My VERY first flight I had a huge Turkey Buzzard start to circle my drone above it. He was definitely thinking about taking a swoop at it. I landed it and then started flying much lower to the ground.

Vultures circle overhead because that's what vultures do. They soar in order to find thermals to gain altitude or they soar in order to seek out dead carcasses by following scent trails in the air.

Read more here:
bird migration - any danger?

Last edited:
Really? A scavenger bird like a turkey vulture was circling over your drone? And you assumed that it was "thinking" about attacking your drone?

Vultures circle overhead because that's what vultures do. They soar in order to find thermals to gain altitude or they soar in order to seek out dead carcasses by following scent trails in the air.

I once had a Mavic start circling over my yard when I had my small dog outside to go to the bathroom. It was definitely thinking about taking a swoop at it, so I rushed my poor dog in the house in order to be safe. Fortunately, I made it just in time to save his life. Whew...

View attachment 24502

Read more here:
bird migration - any danger?

Wow....thank you for the condescending response....

I am new to drones and did not want to risk having the bird or my MP get damaged. I did what I thought was best and took the drone away from the animal....I don't see why you need to respond in such a way as to make me seem like some kind of idiot. We are all here to learn. I an not an animal expert and aired on the side of caution. Next time if you have something snarky to say about my actions just PM me.

Ravens occasionally take a great interest in my MP and I'm sure they'd try to take it out if I gave them a chance. I climb quickly in sports mode then quickly drop as low as I can and land. A hawk dove at my MP once and a quick climb and drop freaked him and he took off. Vultures do seem to gather with interest around my MP in the evening before they roost but I don't think the have the ability to drop the MP.

it is my understanding that raptors, like hawks and eagles could be a problem, maybe crows, but what I have read, most other birds may be interested, but won't attack. Problem is they sometime fly pretty close and you might hit them. I try to avoid flying where there are birds.

Reactions: GooterFly68
The vultures do seem to circle , out of curiosity maybe? I know they circle my Mavic, but, moreso the Phantom, I do drop altitude which seems to make them loose interest. I've noticed more of them around this past couple of weeks. We have a family of Osprey nesting quite near to one of my favorite flight locations, but, after a couple of attacks I;ve been staying away from these big birds!

Reactions: SprayingMango
Wow....thank you for the condescending response....

I am new to drones and did not want to risk having the bird or my MP get damaged. I did what I thought was best and took the drone away from the animal...

I apologize. It's just that this forum and other message boards are replete with such knee-jerk reactions and warnings about birds that it gets a little frustrating when everyone assumes that birds are attacking their drones. Same thing when the rest of the world has similar reactions to drones flying near them and assumes that the drone is intent on spying on them. Both are uninformed opinions based on a lack of information or experience with the subject matter.

And you're right... the correct response from me should have been a straightforward note about the facts and an attempt to educate folks, without the "snarky"/sarcastic comments aired in frustration. For that I do fully apologize.

I would still recommend that you read my detailed response on the other post in order to learn more on this subject.

Last edited:
I had a few close calls with local birds of prey, namely a few different hawk attacks. However, since putting a red skin on my drone I haven't had a single bird show any interest in my Mavic. I went for the Bullseye skin from DecalGirl and I'm happy with it but they should make a stickier, "permanent" skin that doesn't come off so easily.

-Joe

I lost a drone after a bird collision so I'm wary of them. I don't think out was an attack although I have had starlings? or some type of smaller bird go after my Karma. It was a pair of them and they actually hit it a couple times. I out ran them and continued flying but it was nerve racking for a minute or two.

Reactions: eroomomni
I have had a few scary moment over the years...
The worst was when i had some kind of predator bird (falcon or similar) doing ”fake attacks” against my 500-class heli (900mm rotor).
It would have been a total loss. Both for my heli and the bird...
If a similar sized bird got a hold of the MP i guess its gone. If the poor thing dosnt get his feets cut off...

Reactions: cgfriberg
I try and avoid bird locations, not to avoid bird strikes, but because the only negative public responses have been "you are scaring the birds",.
When I review my video, I am convinced I never scare birds,I fly over wading birds, and they never fly away due to me.
Seagulls mob me as if to say"call that flying,pah,watch me, and see how to fly"

Reactions: raymo
I'm definitely cautious about some birds, especially so as I live ~1km from a Wedge Tailed Eagle nest. These things are big birds (2.3m wing span) and very territorial during nesting season. So far they've only shown curiosity with my Mavic, though my XK X500 was something they wouldn't tolerate.

Your Kite seamed to be more interested than agreesive. Skåne is a fantastic place. I go there every summer particularly to Ravlunda and Brösarp. I have got quite a few pictures from the Haväng tree and this summer also with my Mavic Pro

I was messing around in one of the paddocks today and had three wagtails circle the Mavic, they are only small and can fit in the palm of your hand but they are very territorial and aggressive and will take on much bigger birds.
The noise seemed to stop them swooping but they were within a couple of feet for quite some time and making a lot of noise.
We have had incidents here of Wedgetail Eagles attacking microlite aircraft, they are a pretty big bird and almost twice the size of the Bald Eagle, not easily intimidated.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent