DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Birds...how scared should I be?

Birds...are you scared

• Total voters
Australian Magpies always have a good go at mine, and Galahs circle around my Mavic as a whole flock.

Your Kite seamed to be more interested than agreesive. Skåne is a fantastic place. I go there every summer particularly to Ravlunda and Brösarp. I have got quite a few pictures from the Haväng tree and this summer also with my Mavic Pro
Ravlunda is a very nice place, but the military use it for shooting, and it is I think a no fly zon. I filmed two US B 52 with my old camera (not drone) there, without zoomlens a couple of years ago, that is also in my Youtubechannel (Baltops 2015). I should have had my new camera that time, but I had´nt bought it yet then.
I always look carefully for birds then flying, because my experience is that they often fly near the drone and are very interested in it, and even birds do mistakes, and I´m not willing to take any risks, and I don´t want to hurt any birds either. Anyway, a birdcollision will probably end up with a crasched drone.

If it’s nesting season, most birds will get pretty territorial and aggressive to protect their nests, I made the mistake of trying to fly in a nesting area of crows and they were pretty bold swooping down on the drone to the point that I got the message and landed to leave them alone.

There are about 100 swallows that nest under the bridge where I live. It's about 400m away. Every time I would start my Mavic this Spring, they were swarming around it within 30 seconds. Nesting season. Every since August, they don't even look twice at it. I can fly right next to the bridge and they don't care now.

This mean looking fella swooped for my Mavic this weekend whilst flying in Buckinghamshire (they are common there)

http://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/resources/images/5134432.jpg?type=article-full

I panicked and was close to home so just landed...I've seen similar bird attack threads but was intrigued by people's general fear level here?

Pretty sure that's a Red Kite. They're not known to be aggressive but might attack if they have young nearby.
I flew my Spark a few metres from 7 or 8 Buzzards recently and they weren't too bothered. They just kept moving slowly away from it.
They probably just see it as some other kind of bird and unless it's flying in a threatening manner, probably won't take much interest in a drone.

I try to maneuver on top of them so they think my Mavic is trying to mate with them.

I actually laughed out loud! Nice ZX14. I used to have a Hayabusa but have GSXR1000 for my last 3 bikes. I found that cornering is an important thing for me.

I had a few close calls with local birds of prey, namely a few different hawk attacks. However, since putting a red skin on my drone I haven't had a single bird show any interest in my Mavic. I went for the Bullseye skin from DecalGirl and I'm happy with it but they should make a stickier, "permanent" skin that doesn't come off so easily.
-Joe

I wrapped mine with a bright yellow "taxi" wrap and had the same experience :)

I had a bird that was a bit to interested in my Mavic yesterday in Sweden.
Milvus - Wikipedia

How did you do that smooth zoom-in around 1:23? When I use the zoom my Mavic just clicks between 1.0 and 1.1 and so on, not smooth as that one. Was it made in post?

How did you do that smooth zoom-in around 1:23? When I use the zoom my Mavic just clicks between 1.0 and 1.1 and so on, not smooth as that one. Was it made in post?
Yes it´s made in post. I record in 4k and render final 1080. Then I can zoom x2 and remain full quality.

Reactions: Vilco
If you ever feel like a bird might want to attack your drone, it's best to send the drone up full throttle. A bird of prey can dive very quickly, wheresas the drone goes down slowly. When you shoot up the bird has a hard time trying to follow upward. The relocate your drone to another area. I've had a few attempts by ospreys (bird of prey) and some other territorial birds in the area and that trick worked for me so far.

If you ever feel like a bird might want to attack your drone, it's best to send the drone up full throttle. A bird of prey can dive very quickly, wheresas the drone goes down slowly. When you shoot up the bird has a hard time trying to follow upward. The relocate your drone to another area. I've had a few attempts by ospreys (bird of prey) and some other territorial birds in the area and that trick worked for me so far.

Me too! We can easily out climb most birds.

How scared should WE be? They should be scared. Even a small tree swallow will attack a drone ... Why? Protecting their young, and their territory. You're in their crib. Give em space. Like any animal ... avoid creating stress, theirs and yours. Move it or lose it. And best, study your local animals behaviors ... no different than knowing weather, navigation and tech.

In all fairness that is a red kite so far only crows pigeons and one buzzard, the buzzard seemed interested but didn't swoop or anything, the others if used it.

This mean looking fella swooped for my Mavic this weekend whilst flying in Buckinghamshire (they are common there)

http://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/resources/images/5134432.jpg?type=article-full

I panicked and was close to home so just landed...I've seen similar bird attack threads but was intrigued by people's general fear level here?
You have every right to be scared! I’ve been swooped by red tailed hawks, crows, seagulls, barn swallows and flocked by pigeons. It becomes like a game in certain areas such as church spires and old buildings. I’ll sometimes engage them in an effort to ward them off. A little radical aggressive flying sometimes works. The swallows come out of nowhere and are quite agile fliers. You might be composing a shot and suddenly see your gimbal go haywire for a second. (if you’re lucky) but you won’t know what happened until you review your footage. Suddenly out of nowhere you’ll see a small angry bird with wings in full stall mode and feet outstretched coming dead on in attack mode.

Gotta respect their flying skills but be brave and claim your piece of the sky!
Albeit carefully.

Reactions: Vilco
If birds are going for your drone , then climb in sports mode they cannot match your climb rate . watch out for nesting sites they get very protective when nesting , I meet some angry seagulls recently
and an angry bird lover who told be I was near a nesting area . so I just moved 1/4 mile down the beach and no problems.

Wow....thank you for the condescending response....

I am new to drones and did not want to risk having the bird or my MP get damaged. I did what I thought was best and took the drone away from the animal....I don't see why you need to respond in such a way as to make me seem like some kind of idiot. We are all here to learn. I an not an animal expert and aired on the side of caution. Next time if you have something snarky to say about my actions just PM me.
Unfottunatly that is what this website is really about. The best part is when you tell the ahole off and get the best of them the mods will delete or change your response. I abandoned asking for help long ago. I have found youtube is really helpful. Find a youtube channel that is well established and ask them questions.

There are about 100 swallows that nest under the bridge where I live. It's about 400m away. Every time I would start my Mavic this Spring, they were swarming around it within 30 seconds. Nesting season. Every since August, they don't even look twice at it. I can fly right next to the bridge and they don't care now.
I had lots of Purple Martins nesting in houses in my backyard. Just like the swallows, within a few seconds they would flock and swarm around the MP as soon as I took off, even if I moved to the end of the street. Being insect predators, I figured they were attracted to the sound and I was afraid to fly near them. They finally migrated away so I can fly in this area, once again.

Very scared!!!!!

At some point during your lifetime you'll probably get a broken heart from one and potentially marry another.

Be very cautious.

Reactions: masic
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cjd54