DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Birds trained to in-flight attack, disable, retrieve and deliver drones to its handler. Input please?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes they are trained to attack from the bottom to avoid the props, twist it to IMU disable the props, and return it to the handler.

No Aeroscope or shotgun needed.

Bird handler (cop) now has your drone and FA#.

Discussion please?

That's hardcore. As an animal lover and a drone lover I doubly hate this news. Hate that eagles are being kept and trained and hate that drones are being destroyed.
I fly for a government entity in KY so the possibility of having a drone shot down is very real lol but luckily it has not happened yet. We fly all the landfills in our state (which are bird hot spots) so we keep constant watch for birds. Our drones have been swooped by hawks and other birds many times but for the most part they seem to know it isn't natural and avoid it.

Reactions: Torque
As I read through this thread I see at least a few misconceptions or perhaps just mis-worded thoughts/blanket statements about US regulations as they pertain to UA flight - but in any case . . . .:)

1] To make a statement that drones can't fly over sports stadiums is incorrect or misleading in some respect
  • TFR's are placed on sporting events at said stadiums whenever large crowds of people are in attendance - its the flying in a TFR without permission - that is illegal. Also you can't fly over people either.
  • When said stadiums are empty and if no other airspace conditions or regulations that prohibit UA flight are in effect - have at it - meaning you can fly over the stadium. (NOTE: Some will need to read this over again - maybe a time or two)
  • Getting permission to fly in a TFR is a process - not a loophole. As an example here in Florida we have three NFL teams, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers stadium is a stones throw from Tampa Int'l - flights in and out occur during games all the time yet, the entire area is under a TFR. Not a loophole. Also FOX Sports was flying a drone at last Sunday's game - not a loophole. Military flyover happened too - not a loophole.
  • If you want to overfly a stadium during a TFR, join a branch of the military and enter a flight training program or: sign up with the Goodyear Flight operations team: or maybe apply to Fox Sports UA department - these will give you the best chance.
2] Those videos of raptors hunting drones are very old and show some of the first attempts at creating anti-drone tech. Those programs using birds have been dropped or suspended in favor of newer anti-drone tech

3] Don't fly where your not supposed to be and you'll probably never encounter anti drone tech.

4] Birds of many types need no training to attack a drone -ask me how I know. ;)

Reactions: Torque and okw
This thread has run its course

1666286402564.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member