DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

BLACK BARS- How did they get there- how to get rid of them

I’m thinking of going down the iMac route but we’re away from home so much now I’d be lost without the MacBook. One reason for not upgrading to date is I’ll lose the use of Adobe CS6 (mainly Photoshop and InDesign) and I’m not going the subscription route. I’ve paid Adobe enough over the years for software.

If I do get an iMac or more recent MacBook Pro I’ll install MacOS Sierra in a virtual machine so I can still use CS6.

I still run a Windows 7 virtual machine on my MacBook for the times I need specific Windows programs since I dropped out of the Microsoft bandwagon of GUI changes, bloat and security issues.

I’m thinking of going down the iMac route but we’re away from home so much now I’d be lost without the MacBook. One reason for not upgrading to date is I’ll lose the use of Adobe CS6 (mainly Photoshop and InDesign) and I’m not going the subscription route. I’ve paid Adobe enough over the years for software.

If I do get an iMac or more recent MacBook Pro I’ll install MacOS Sierra in a virtual machine so I can still use CS6.

I still run a Windows 7 virtual machine on my MacBook for the times I need specific Windows programs since I dropped out of the Microsoft bandwagon of GUI changes, bloat and security issues.
I managed to get a nice discount on the entire suite for a 2nd year in a row and I am paying about $30 USD a month. I get the entire Adobe suite including stuff I never use. Included are PhotoshopCC2021 with great new updates you would really love as well as Lightroom, Lightroom Classic, Premiere Pro, After Effects, Acrobat PDF and many other. Here is my monthly bill. I would encourage you to call Adobe and ask for the discount. I am fortunate in being able to afford it. It is $29.99i Screen Shot 2020-11-07 at 4.17.07 PM.pnga month or $360 a year. For my main hobby, I am happy to pay this.

Last edited:
Reactions: SmilingOgre
I managed to get a nice discount on the entire suite for a 2nd year in a row and I am paying about $30 USD a month. I get the entire Adobe suite including stuff I never use. Included are Photos with great new updates you would really love as well as Lightroom, Lightroom Classic, Premiere Pro, After Effects, Acrobat PDF and many other. Here is my monthly bill. I would encourage you to call Adobe and ask for the discount. I am fortunate in being able to afford it. It is $29.99i View attachment 116728a month or $360 a year. For my main hobby, I am happy to pay this.
My wife teaches and uses adobe products for a lot of her work so we have a subscription for the suite as well. About the same cost as yours by using the student/teacher subscription. I stay with the PC only because I've been to lazy to learn mac. The last PC I had built is pretty much a beast. Went for specs to support Adobe all and all of my audio recording software. Found a pretty good base unit at CPUSolutions and spec'd in a lot of upgrades. It will slow a little with some of the intense routines of aftereffects but runs everything else pretty smoothly.

My wife teaches and uses adobe products for a lot of her work so we have a subscription for the suite as well. About the same cost as yours by using the student/teacher subscription. I stay with the PC only because I've been to lazy to learn mac. The last PC I had built is pretty much a beast. Went for specs to support Adobe all and all of my audio recording software. Found a pretty good base unit at CPUSolutions and spec'd in a lot of upgrades. It will slow a little with some of the intense routines of aftereffects but runs everything else pretty smoothly.
Yes, I had the same discount but they took it away from me when I stopped teaching at the university. I used to volunteer at the University of Miami Eye Hospital to teach the residents. They let me have the CC suite for another year then one day I was just canceled! I found that my Dell PC (fully loaded, high RAM, etc.) was constantly in need of tech support, home calls by my local computer guy, etc. Something was always happening. I got sick of it and since I already had a Mac Book Pro for traveling, I also bought an iMAC. It was one of best things I have ever done. Very Adobe friendly and compatible with all things creative like photography and video. I love the ability to transfer screen shots from my iPhone to my iMAC with Air Drop. I can take any image from my screen to Photoshop with a screen capture (Shift+Command+4), then process that image in Photoshop and add arrows, etc. I can Air Drop a Netflix movie to my smart TV, or a slide show or a You Tube. I can Air Drop an iPhone image directly to my iMAC, or even a screen shot from my phone directly to my iMAC. APPLE support by phone from American English speakers in Cupertino, California is terrific. So in my retirement from ophthalmology I treated myself to a nice big iMAC and I have never been happier. I gave the Dell to my computer tech and he loved it. We only see him now for dinner! I love the iMAC retina display too.

Yes, I had the same discount but they took it away from me when I stopped teaching at the university. I used to volunteer at the University of Miami Eye Hospital to teach the residents. They let me have the CC suite for another year then one day I was just canceled! I found that my Dell PC (fully loaded, high RAM, etc.) was constantly in need of tech support, home calls by my local computer guy, etc. Something was always happening. I got sick of it and since I already had a Mac Book Pro for traveling, I also bought an iMAC. It was one of best things I have ever done. Very Adobe friendly and compatible with all things creative like photography and video. I love the ability to transfer screen shots from my iPhone to my iMAC with Air Drop. I can take any image from my screen to Photoshop with a screen capture (Shift+Command+4), then process that image in Photoshop and add arrows, etc. I can Air Drop a Netflix movie to my smart TV, or a slide show or a You Tube. I can Air Drop an iPhone image directly to my iMAC, or even a screen shot from my phone directly to my iMAC. APPLE support by phone from American English speakers in Cupertino, California is terrific. So in my retirement from ophthalmology I treated myself to a nice big iMAC and I have never been happier. I gave the Dell to my computer tech and he loved it. We only see him now for dinner! I love the iMAC retina display too.
Sounds like a great set up! Love the integration it offers!!

It’s not the money that is the issue for me it’s the principle of a subscription based on recurring payments whether I’m using the application(s) or not. And having no control on price increases that can be imposed at any time.

The only feature that Adobe have added since CS6/Lightroom 5 that would have any use for me is the ‘de-haze’ function in Lightroom.

There are so many good alternatives to Adobe’s applications now that are either free or have perpetual licenses that I no longer need to upgrade any further than where I’m at now with CS6 and Lightroom. I know I’m far from alone in this view.

The same holds for Microsoft. I’m still using Office 2011 on MacOS. None of the more recent releases or Office 365 provides any functionality I don’t already have. And I’ve not paid a cent extra since.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rui S