DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Black photos on mac

riggsy

Reactions
Hello all! I recently purchased a mavic pro drone and all of my photos are coming up black. I don't believe I'm the first person to have this issue. I can import them into "photos" from the sd card and they will open, BUT if I attempt to zoom or do anything with the file it will magically swap to nothing but black and I won't be able to view it. The thumbnails look fine but if I attempt to open them in preview its just a black square. Please help! This is so frustrating!

Hello all! I recently purchased a mavic pro drone and all of my photos are coming up black. I don't believe I'm the first person to have this issue. I can import them into "photos" from the sd card and they will open, BUT if I attempt to zoom or do anything with the file it will magically swap to nothing but black and I won't be able to view it. The thumbnails look fine but if I attempt to open them in preview its just a black square. Please help! This is so frustrating!

Are you shooting in the raw format?
What version of MacOS are you running?

Can you open and edit them in Photos app? Photos app is a much better editor anyway.

Reactions: Thomas B
Sounds like a problem with the file format and your Mac not processing it correctly. Try changing the file type on your Mavic before you capture again, or taking them to a different computer to process and convert. And if you find out what file type is not accepted then maybe you can search for a patch. Just brainstorming here.

Follow-up question: You have copied the pics to your Mac right? You're not still reading them off the SD card?

Can you open and edit them in Photos app? Photos app is a much better editor anyway.
... and what kind, ie type of Mac. How old? What is your video card?

Yes I am shooting in raw format.
Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6 is what I'm running on a Mid 2012 Mac air.

I have copied them to photos app and they are viewable. But if I attempt to zoom in at all on the photos app copy its almost like it corrupts the file. It will turn black and there is no recovering. I will have to delete the photos app copy and re-import to view it again. So odd.

Yes, I still have the same problem and don't shoot anymore in RAW for that reason.
In RAW you'll get the DNG format, and Photoshop don't recognized this (LOL DNG is from Adobe) then you can download an convertor wat DNG convert to RAW, but also, this will not recognized by Photoshop on my MAC with different OS, like 10.12.6, 0r 10.8.5.
After I give it a try on a Windows 7 with Photoshop, again the same problem.
For that reason I give it up and switch over to JPEG
There is another converter, sorry I forget the name, and that works on Windows but it only converts.

Yes, I still have the same problem and don't shoot anymore in RAW for that reason.
In RAW you'll get the DNG format, and Photoshop don't recognized this (LOL DNG is from Adobe) then you can download an convertor wat DNG convert to RAW, but also, this will not recognized by Photoshop on my MAC with different OS, like 10.12.6, 0r 10.8.5.
After I give it a try on a Windows 7 with Photoshop, again the same problem.
For that reason I give it up and switch over to JPEG
There is another converter, sorry I forget the name, and that works on Windows but it only converts.

Something else is happening here. DNG is an Adobe product and of course it processes DNGs. That’s the format it likes the best. You must need to update or install Adobe Camera Raw or something.

Yes I am shooting in raw format.
Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6 is what I'm running on a Mid 2012 Mac air.

I have copied them to photos app and they are viewable. But if I attempt to zoom in at all on the photos app copy its almost like it corrupts the file. It will turn black and there is no recovering. I will have to delete the photos app copy and re-import to view it again. So odd.

Will that computer update to Mojave? I know Mojave runs DNGs natively.

Reactions: Thomas B
Something else is happening here. DNG is an Adobe product and of course it processes DNGs. That’s the format it likes the best. You must need to update or install Adobe Camera Raw or something.
Okay, maybe I'm wrong, but Raw on my M.A. is not RAW, but it shows only DNG, and it shows exactly the same on the desktop , only thumbnails but impossible to open.

Will that computer update to Mojave? I know Mojave runs DNGs natively.
When you have an older Mac, it is not recommandable to install Mojave, the videocard can not handle Mojave.
In my case I have an MacPro 5.1, I install before Mojave but remove it and go back to 10.12.6.

Okay, maybe I'm wrong, but Raw on my M.A. is not RAW, but it shows only DNG, and it shows exactly the same on the desktop , only thumbnails but impossible to open.

DNG is a Raw image. Raw is not a universal file type and many camera makers use their own proprietary file type.

DNG was a standard created by Adobe to try to make a common standard amoung camera manufactures in regards to raw image files. It was somewhat successful.

What really is great about a dng is it holds the original raw and also the side car data once you edit them. If you have a raw file from Canon for example you can’t edit the file directly at all. You must make a second file that contains the editing data or convert the edited file into a raster image and then save. DNG saves you from all this and is actually the best standard for this reason.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
inecho