DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Blemish in camera images

Lakesteve124

Reactions
Hello All,

Newbie here. I took some shots over the lake this weekend and noticed a blemish on most of the photos. When I got home I removed the plastic cover and wiped it down but could not find a crack or scratch that matches what I am seeing. I notice a few scuff marks but nothing major. I went out again yesterday and the mark was still showing nup. Is this a reflection of the camera lens or something like that? Maybe I am missing something in my settings.

BF13582793BA9CB6860A744E4BC26E3F (1).jpg

Reactions: mereflyer
Hello All,

Newbie here. I took some shots over the lake this weekend and noticed a blemish on most of the photos.
Is the mark identical in all images?
Does it change with the drone facing different directions?
Are you using any filter on the lens?
If you do some testing at home (no need to fly), is it still there?
Maybe I am missing something in my settings.
There's nothing in the settings that would cause (or cure) this.

Your mention of the plastic cover suggests to me it needs to be removed for every flight. I had similar effects the one time I forgot to remove the plastic dome from the camera and I solved the problem instantly just by removing the plastic dome.

I am convinced that the plastic dome is merely provided to protect the camera when the drone is packed for transport but MUST be removed before every flight.

Thank you for the responses. I can see the blemish on the screen in the app. Goes away depending on lighting or the shade, but it's prevalent. When I took the plastic cover off I got a warning about the gimbal motor load being too large and to check the gimbal clamp. The camera bounced around in the 30 second flight I put it on. It seems the cover needs to be on and not off. Perhaps I need a new cover. I'll wait to see if others chime in.

Thank you for the responses. I can see the blemish on the screen in the app. Goes away depending on lighting or the shade, but it's prevalent. When I took the plastic cover off I got a warning about the gimbal motor load being too large and to check the gimbal clamp. The camera bounced around in the 30 second flight I put it on. It seems the cover needs to be on and not off. Perhaps I need a new cover. I'll wait to see if others chime in.
You should not have any plastic cover on the camera while flying.
A gimbal clamp is only there to protect the delicate gimbal between flights, not during them.

Reactions: BossBob
I am talking about the gimbal cover. Removing it made the camera bounce around. Perhaps this is normal, I am a newbie. Does this stabilize when at a cruising altitude? I looked around and there seems to be some debate whether to leave the cover on or not. Some people get the lens arc that I am desribing.

As long as your gimbal cover doesn't have a built-in clamp (some third-party ones do), you should be able to fly with it attached. That said, you're more likely to get lens flares/artifacting as shown in your photo with it on. Your gimbal should behave the same way whether you have the cover on or off, so the fact that it gave you an error makes me think that there might be something wrong with the gimbal itself. Have you tried calibrating the gimbal with the cover off?

I am talking about the gimbal cover. Removing it made the camera bounce around. Perhaps this is normal, I am a newbie. Does this stabilize when at a cruising altitude? I looked around and there seems to be some debate whether to leave the cover on or not. Some people get the lens arc that I am desribing.
Leave it off, the global is delicate, but designed for the task.

Reactions: BossBob
Thank you, everyone. I will calibrate the gimbal tomorrow with the cover off. I thought it may be the wind/resistance bouncing the camera around since I've never taken it off before.

Without the plastic done affixed, a Mavic Pro's camera gimbal ought to remain as steady as the hands of a brain surgeon, Any tremor noted in the camera gimbal, simply because the glass dome has been removed, might be an indication that something is amiss. Calibration may solve that issue, however.

It will be loose and floppy until the drone is switch on.

Although I have long sold my Mavic Pro I never flew it with the gimbal cover on as I read you shouldn't. I never had a problem with the gimbal shaking or any error messages either. I think you're on the right track by recalibrating the gimble. Keep us updated and good luck

Hello All,

Newbie here. I took some shots over the lake this weekend and noticed a blemish on most of the photos. When I got home I removed the plastic cover and wiped it down but could not find a crack or scratch that matches what I am seeing. I notice a few scuff marks but nothing major. I went out again yesterday and the mark was still showing nup. Is this a reflection of the camera lens or something like that? Maybe I am missing something in my settings.

View attachment 129257
You MUST Remove both Clear cover AND Plastic clamp behind the camera before all flights. Replace both of them for transport or storage. Gimbal cannot work properly with either attached!

I´m sorry to say it again: READ THE MANUAL! Page 6: Prepair the Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom. Point 1: Remove the Gimbal cover from the camera!
The manual also says that the gimbal cover is used to protect the gimbal and should be removed "when necessary," as opposed to the clamp which should only be installed "when the Mavic Pro is not in use." I read this to mean that the cover could be placed back onto the gimbal after the clamp is removed and left there during operation as it doesn't interfere with the gimbal. The general consensus online also seems to be that it's ok to fly with the cover on, just that it would cause more flare artifacts in images.

EDIT: This post from the official DJI support account on DJI's forum says the same thing I did, just much more eloquently. Glad there's some clarification on the matter! Answer is under point 3: 10 Common Mistakes Mavic Pro Pilots Make

Reactions: mereflyer
Update: Been tied up with work but got out today and flew. I calibrated the gimbal and flew with the cover off. She performed flawlessly. No problems, no lens flare! Can anyone direct me to the aftermarket gimbal cover/clamp combination? I'll just use that after each time I fly.

Is the mark identical in all images?
Does it change with the drone facing different directions?
Are you using any filter on the lens?
If you do some testing at home (no need to fly), is it still there?

There's nothing in the settings that would cause (or cure) this.
The gimbal cover must be removed. It is there to protect the gimbal during storage and can cause gimbal motor overload errors if left on. Also it is not made of photo quality glass, just cheap plastic. Finally, the gimbal cannot stabilise correctly with the cover on.

Update: Been tied up with work but got out today and flew. I calibrated the gimbal and flew with the cover off. She performed flawlessly. No problems, no lens flare! Can anyone direct me to the aftermarket gimbal cover/clamp combination? I'll just use that after each time I fly.
I don't remember where I got mine exactly, but this looks like the same one: 3.81US $ 7% OFF|Mavic Pro Lens protection cover Gimbal fixed Guard Lock Buckle Transport Protector cap for DJI Mavic Pro Drone Accessories|Prop Protector| - AliExpress

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31