DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bloated Batteries

Malcflo

Reactions
Have used my 3 batteries less than 40 times and 2 of them are bloated, will have to buy new ones, how can I avoid them from bloating ?

MM batteries are 2x 18650 cells... I've never heard/seen of a case of those cells bloating. Unless DJI are not making them from conventional methods to reduce weight (conventionally made with metal cylinder walls).

Edit: many-a-threads of how to care for Lithium based cells.

Don't over/under charge them, store them between 40-60% capacity.
Keeping them constantly charged "ready to fly" at 100% will increase the chance of pre-mature cell degradation.

Reactions: Malcflo
I’m confused. Mavic mini or mavic2 battery issue?

MM batteries are 2x 18650 cells... I've never heard/seen of a case of those cells bloating. Unless DJI are not making them from conventional methods to reduce weight (conventionally made with metal cylinder walls).

Edit: many-a-threads of how to care for Lithium based cells.

Don't over/under charge them, store them between 40-60% capacity.
Keeping them constantly charged "ready to fly" at 100% will increase the chance of pre-mature cell degradation.
Most likely that is what happened, I left them some times after charging and did not use the drone right away.

Welcome to the forum @Malcflo There is vast amounts of info here about DJI batteries.
This thread maybe of use to you.
Mavic batteries

Reactions: Thomas B
Most likely that is what happened, I left them some times after charging and did not use the drone right away.
The auto-discharge feature prevents that from happening. It is more likely simply the age of the batteries. My oldest M2 batteries are now starting to show similar bulging.

welcome to the forum, once the batteries are as swollen as your pic shows get them out of your home ,and take them to a battery disposal outlet and keep them out of direct sunlight

both of them are like this :confused:
Do not fly with them!
Even if swelling subsided they are unsafe. I had one swell during flight (fortunately did not dislodge and disconnect). However on that occurrence I launched with a reading of 100%, but within 10-15 seconds got a critically low battery warning and auto land started. Fortunately I was still very close and low altitude. Found slight swelling of the battery then... much less than in your photo. Of note. I had inspected the battery at that time before installing and noticed no swelling.

Do not fly with them!
Even if swelling subsided they are unsafe. I had one swell during flight (fortunately did not dislodge and disconnect). However on that occurrence I launched with a reading of 100%, but within 10-15 seconds got a critically low battery warning and auto land started. Fortunately I was still very close and low altitude. Found slight swelling of the battery then... much less than in your photo. Of note. I had inspected the battery at that time before installing and noticed no swelling.
A slightly swollen cold battery will swell massively when in use, as it generates heat, further expanding the gas inside that is creating the bulge. I have noticed this on the swollen one I have, when I use it on the ground, for adjusting settings and acquring satellites, before swapping it out for an unswollen flight battery. Would never use it for flight. It almost completely pops out of the clips when it gets hot.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803