DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Blur in corners of video when using CPL filter

shizack2000

Reactions
I'm getting strange blurs in the corners of my videos when shooting with a Skyreat CPL filter. This happens at certain angles to a bright light source, including a flashlight (not pointed directly into the lens).
This video was shot with all auto settings.
User error, nature of the beast, or cheap or bad filter?

My first thought would be cheap filter. With wide angle lenses the filter edges have to be pretty thin so that is one possible problem. The other is light refracting without good coatings on the lens itself. CPLs are tricky on wide angle lenses regardless but that's another issue. I would definitely try another lens if you really need a cpl. I think, however, you will find problems with the sky unless you are just doing photos with the tele lens in a manner in which the variation in polarization is not evident. Good luck.

The manufacturer might say 'oh ... that's not as glitch, that's ... an enhancement - uh - an undocumented feature!'

…light refracting without good coatings on the lens (filter glass) itself.
A close look at the footage reveals that this occurs when sunlight is falling on the filter. That’s what filter coatings should control.

You either have a defective filter or need to step up to a filter with coatings, or with better coatings.

An outside possibility is that the filter is not mounted correctly and is not fully parallel to the camera lens.

PS. the term for this is flare, or lens flare.

I would have maybe expected this with the el cheapo types, but Skyreat is supposed to be at least lower-mid to mid.
I have contacted Skyreat about this and will wait to see what, if anything, they say.

I didn't put the name (reads original post)... I guess not. Mini SE.
I have a Mini 2 with the same filter. You do not have the filter completely seated. There is a small ledge on the lower part of the camera that you need to get the bottom of the filter over. I have done the same thing.

Reactions: SethB
I have a Mini 2 with the same filter. You do not have the filter completely seated. There is a small ledge on the lower part of the camera that you need to get the bottom of the filter over. I have done the same thing.
Hmmm... It clicked...
I'll reattach it later and put a little more stank on it this time. Thanks.

…An outside possibility is that the filter is not mounted correctly and is not fully parallel to the camera lens…
Yes, the filters for the Mini series are difficult to manage, no matter who the manufacturer was!

Take a really close look at how it seats. When I’m flying Mini I always mount the filters indoors under good light, wearing reading glasses. I have big fat fingers, your mileage may vary!

I'm getting strange blurs in the corners of my videos when shooting with a Skyreat CPL filter. This happens at certain angles to a bright light source, including a flashlight (not pointed directly into the lens).
This video was shot with all auto settings.
User error, nature of the beast, or cheap or bad filter?

That's pretty bad lens flare, probably due to uncoated optics. aka: cheap filters. Sun light reflecting between the lens and filter. Coatings reduce the light bounce.