DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bonaire

Snoweman

Reactions
So, I have looked at Bonaire's website, and it basically tells me to leave my drone at home or packed in my bag. But..., I have looked at more than a few youtube videos, and these yin yangs have either gotten permission to fly (which I doubt) or are just flying. Many vids are over the main city and other populated areas. Luckily, none of the operators are trying to fly over the flamingo areas. So..., are these folks flying illegal and getting away with it (the government just doesn't care that much), or is there more I need to know? Facts? Opinions?

making the assumption that based on question drones are illegal/problem item in Bonaire.
here is the question for you....

what happens if you get caught?
If you get scowled at and told to go away, that's one thing.
or you could be like that guy in cuba who ended up in prison cell for 28 days being asked how well he knew president Obama and threatened with long term detainment as a spy and other junk.

Now those videos, were they done by locals or by foreigners? keep in mind you likely to get a different reaction as a foreigner if they are hard on drones.

That's a great question - what happens? I guess that is part of the reason for the post.

Hi there, I was very interested to see this thread regarding the island of Bonaire. I specifically bought a Mavic in order that I could make videos of the vacation home that I have there. However I was disappointed to find the my villa is in a NFZ since it is a only couple of miles from the airport. Does anyone have updated information about requesting permission from the island/Dutch government?
Some good news is that I was able to fly on the island's east/central coast and also at the kite-surf beach area. Though, of course the wind was problematic - I am still a novice flyer.

I'm there in 3 weeks, I'll have my Mavic with me - When I'm back I'll show the footage :)

Hi there, I was very interested to see this thread regarding the island of Bonaire. I specifically bought a Mavic in order that I could make videos of the vacation home that I have there. However I was disappointed to find the my villa is in a NFZ since it is a only couple of miles from the airport. Does anyone have updated information about requesting permission from the island/Dutch government?
Some good news is that I was able to fly on the island's east/central coast and also at the kite-surf beach area. Though, of course the wind was problematic - I am still a novice flyer.

I thought i'd share my experience.
I am visiting my mom who lives on Bonaire next week, it will be the first time I bring my drone so I thought i'd do some research.
So I contacted the government with my inquiry to the regulations regarding consumer drones on Bonaire, but as you would expect from Carribbean instances, I got 0 response (and I sent 4 separate reminders)..

So I contacted my mom, and she visited the local police department as well as the customs department to find out what the situation is around consumer drones.

It basically boils down to the regular "common sense" regulations, just bring your drone and tell customs that you are bringing a consumer drone with you, you should have no problems.

Police department extra commented that you should stay away from the airport (duh) as well as Kralendijk, for the rest you should be free to do as you please.

Official Dutch regulations apply;
- No higher than 120 meters
- No crowds or connected buildings
- No night time flying
- VLOS
- Give way to aircrafts and such

Hope this is helpful to some of you out there :)

Reactions: garypj1
Any news on your trip? Did you have any problems with having your drone? I have a trip planned for the end of April and wondering if I should bring my magic.

Any news on your trip? Did you have any problems with having your drone? I have a trip planned for the end of April and wondering if I should bring my magic.

Hi!

I'm on Bonaire now and flew my air a couple of times, no problems so far. There are some Drone free zones (near goto lake because of the flamingos for instance) but all in all its good.

Reactions: garypj1
Any recent thoughts?

Arriving on a cruise ship.

Looking to fly if possible.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143