DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bought a MP2 today. Smart controller worth it this late in the game?

In my opinion (not speaking for others), the brightness of a mobile phone can not compete with that of the SC. I own a Samsung Galaxy Note 10 plus, and the image was very hard to see on a sunny day. The size of the SC screen is bigger than most phones and the convenience of getting up and going can not be overstated.

Reactions: Hauptmann
In my opinion (not speaking for others), the brightness of a mobile phone can not compete with that of the SC. I own a Samsung Galaxy Note 10 plus, and the image was very hard to see on a sunny day. The size of the SC screen is bigger than most phones and the convenience of getting up and going can not be overstated.

You might have something clicked on/off in the display section if you are not able to see your screen in the sun. I read that somewhere before the guy/gal had autobrightness setting clicked off and bluescreen on for reading at night. Maybe a setting issue...

For me so I can later view telemetry and any warnings, I am deaf so audible messages are missed. On the plus side I don't have to suffer the chuffing beep beep
The aubible messages I actually turn off by turning the sound level to 0. Unfortunately the low batt message still beeps. The audible messages, beeps and noises I dont like because it brings attention to me. In Germany the public conception of drones is rather negative, or you attract people who bother you when landing.
The message history in the Flight Recorder section is really great, because sometimes things go unexpectedly and as a responsible pilot you should check what has happened. But I dont see the necessity to record the screen, as the flight recorder section is available regardless

Last edited:
Much like the title says, I grabbed a MP2 today, but have an opportunity to get a smart controller for about $100 off retail price.

Is it worth it this late in the SC Product life cycle? I’d hate to get it and find in 6 months it’s essentially obsolete. I also have a MA2 that I *hope* becomes compatible with it in the near future should I pull the trigger on it.

Thanks!
I found the Smart Controller has poor range compared to the standard Mavic 2 controller. I sold mine.

DagDerniT
No. I have my blue light reduction set automatically on my Galaxy to go on at 10 pm and off at 7 am. I used to always set it up to highest setting when flying. I respect your views and recognize that mine might just be a matter of preference.

Tut: Since in the U.S. we are unable to fly beyond VLOS, the range is perfectly fine for me. You'll need to depend on the views of some others to determine whether or not range is an issue. I've read plenty of posts from those who say the range of the SC is the same or better. It could have been that yours was a bit defective but who's to say.

Cheers.

Somewhat of a subjective answer, but I wouldn't waste they money personally. 600 is such a lot of money! I think a few extra batteries, would be a better investment. Or even an Ipad for half the price that you can then use as either a screen for droning or an ipad. My Iphone 11 Pro Max is just as bright and the screen is about the same size.

I guess the question is - Is saving 10/15 seconds at startup, worth the extra money spent. For me it's a no, but for others this may be a yes.

If you put it into a cost perspective, your phone plus a DJI Mavic 2 pro controller is almost double the price of the Smart Controller for the same level of flying utility

The final point I'll make is that inserting an expensive phone in the clamp of the standard controller can be very cumbersome and can increase the risk of damaging your phone or scratching the screen. Also, I purchased my controller along with my mavic, which made it almost half the price. The point that many are making is that the SC is expensive. Of course, if you can't afford it then it's not a requirement.

Happy flying.

Another reason to keep the standard controller.
You can use the SC in tandem with the standard controller ( master / slave) , allowing another person to control the camera while you fly or let someone learn to fly knowing you can take over in the event they get into difficulty.
Great idea, Cyborg! Hadn't thought of that.

get it, but also get one of these:

I swear I don't work for them, but I bought this and it, with a SC makes flying my M2P awesome :) Also, DJI plans to update the SC to work with MA2, so SC will still see some use for quite awhile.

I don't think I would ever buy a product based on vaporware. The Mavic 2 Air sipped in May and SC compatibility still hasn't emerged. You'd think the programming for this would be rather straight forward. So they claim they will make the SC work with the MA2 but my question is what SC. I have a feeling they will probably release a new controller for the Mavic 3 (present one is fairly old tech) and at the time, include compatibility for MA2, the Mavic and perhaps a few others.

Reactions: Rattydude77
I don't think I would ever buy a product based on vaporware. The Mavic 2 Air sipped in May and SC compatibility still hasn't emerged.

This is good advice in general. Don't purchase something (especially something expensive) on a company's promise or their perceived vision. Companies can overpromise and underdeliver and they owe you nothing for it.

I have a feeling they will probably release a new controller for the Mavic 3 (present one is fairly old tech)

Realistically, it's not really "old tech", it's just not 2020 flagship-smartphone power. I think for a large number of people, myself included, it's completely adequate.

Well, the processor is fairly slow and it's android ver 7. It even drags if you do a screen record along with flying the thing. I will say that I own one and wouldn't have it any other way. I'm just joining with others in trying to figure out what's going on in light of no updates from DJI.

Last edited:
I don't think I would ever buy a product based on vaporware. The Mavic 2 Air sipped in May and SC compatibility still hasn't emerged. You'd think the programming for this would be rather straight forward. So they claim they will make the SC work with the MA2 but my question is what SC. I have a feeling they will probably release a new controller for the Mavic 3 (present one is fairly old tech) and at the time, include compatibility for MA2, the Mavic and perhaps a few others.

I am not sure if DJI will be able to make the SC compatible with the DJI Fly app. The SC is 32Bits when the DJI Fly app is 64bits. Unless they are able to create the app to 32 bits and that is not easy i dont see this happening. The Mavic 3 base in the rumors will use the DJI Fly app as well.

Many people love the DJI GO 4 app but again, base in rumors DJI is abandoning this app in the feature. I hope this is wrong because is not good for SC owners.

Just to chime in on the SC debate.
If the drone is operated in a hot/sunny location ( I live in Phoenix,AZ ....just to give a reference of what I'm talking about) ANY of the most current/bright phones and tablets WILL get too hot and at least dim in the direct sun. I tried a Mini5 and that just blanks out. My Android (Samsung) tablet and phone dim if they get hot. The Smart Controller does not dim if too hot (at least for my conditions, so far) So, even if a device is "just as bright"...It will not stay that way in the hot sun. Again, this is from my experiences in an extreme heat/sun situation.

Reactions: ff22
The smart controller is a joy to hold and operate. Pick it up, turn it on, and fly. No fiddling with a cell phone, plugging in the cable, and fitting it to the remote. Yes, the Pro Controller is more expensive but it is a better platform. As a percentage of the total cost of a drone package, it isn't a huge percentage.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom