DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bought a MP2 today. Smart controller worth it this late in the game?

Dr_Angry

Reactions
Much like the title says, I grabbed a MP2 today, but have an opportunity to get a smart controller for about $100 off retail price.

Is it worth it this late in the SC Product life cycle? I’d hate to get it and find in 6 months it’s essentially obsolete. I also have a MA2 that I *hope* becomes compatible with it in the near future should I pull the trigger on it.

Thanks!

I would get one still. Love mine. Can’t see it being a loss due to tech as the MP2 is also pretty fixed in time. No guarantees it will work with the next gen but don’t see that coming anytime soon.
Paul C

Reactions: Hauptmann
Is it worth it this late in the SC Product life cycle? I’d hate to get it and find in 6 months it’s essentially obsolete.

"Worth it" is always going to be different for each individual person and how much value they put in certain features or conveniences. For me personally the biggest draws are the fantastic screen brightness (my phone can't get even half as bright) and the ease of connecting and getting in the air.

Having said that though, to address your concern of "this late in the product life cycle" statement: My sentiment with buying stuff has always been that I'll resell it when I'm done and recoup some of the cost of investment. Smart Controllers are still selling on eBay and probably will be for years to come. Even if you use it for a year, get a Mavic 3 or whatever comes next, you can still sell the Smart Controller, make a few hundred bucks and you'll probably have gotten your money's worth.

Also, "essentially obsolete" only applies if you don't continue to use it. Just because something else might come out in the next 6 months doesn't mean your Smart Controller stops working. People are still flying the original Mavic Pro/Platinums and Phantoms and they're not "obsolete".

One word or caution though, a handful of us are still diagnosing weird problems with the Smart Controller. One time my screen froze after taking a photo and left me without a video feed requiring me to fly back and land using VLOS. Another time I experienced a "gray screen" with no video feed on initial boot/connect. The problems seem intermittent and nobody has a confirmed fix. It seems to affect very few of us and it's clearly not a deal-breaker, but it's definitely not a flawless experience.

I sold my SC after using it for two months. Screen recording video is very jerky due to it's low processing power, no cellular connection means that you will need to use your phone as a WiFi hot spot. It's ony selling point is the bright screen but my iphone 11 pro is just as bright. Definitely not worth the high price tag IMO.

An example of screen recording :

My thoughts are
1 ) it's an awfully expensive bit of kit, even on the second hand market. If it can be used across serveral model lines and their contol Apps then maybe that cost is somewhat 'mitigated' and that ability maybe be a considerable advantage for someone who already has the relevant models.
2) If you break it, for what ever reason, then you are down your controller and screen device all in one go. Many people seem to sell off their original controller after buying the SC, if they have done so and the SC breaks........what then? Of course if you keep your 'old equipment' you have a backup

I say go for it Thumbswayup
If you hang around waiting for what comes out next you never get anything because the next best thing is always on the horizon.
My only concern was going from a 10” tablet to the 5.5” screen of the SC, I shouldn't have worried.
So fast & easy to get setup, no that's wrong you don't have to set it up just turn it on.
The brightness / clarity of the screen are great even in the sun.

Just curious. Why do you want to record the screen? For instruction video? Just curious. I have never tried it but could understand it would add extra processing overhead. For actual video recording I have never had any issues.

DJI should have had the Air 2 compatibility at launch. No real excuses. However updates to the S.C. always come much later it seems

It took about 1.5 years for the Phantom Pro Vr 2 to get support. However it was launched before the smart controller.

For me it’s simple. I have never used an iOS device with a DJI drone that left me with the same experience. Phone or tablet. Overheating, screen dimming, and ability to see the screen in bright light. Tried the Crystal Sky but it’s weight and size are issues.

Paul C

Somewhat of a subjective answer, but I wouldn't waste they money personally. 600 is such a lot of money! I think a few extra batteries, would be a better investment. Or even an Ipad for half the price that you can then use as either a screen for droning or an ipad. My Iphone 11 Pro Max is just as bright and the screen is about the same size.

I guess the question is - Is saving 10/15 seconds at startup, worth the extra money spent. For me it's a no, but for others this may be a yes.

Much like the title says, I grabbed a MP2 today, but have an opportunity to get a smart controller for about $100 off retail price.

Is it worth it this late in the SC Product life cycle? I’d hate to get it and find in 6 months it’s essentially obsolete. I also have a MA2 that I *hope* becomes compatible with it in the near future should I pull the trigger on it.

Thanks!
I LOVE my smart controller. Truly love it.

Another reason to keep the standard controller.
You can use the SC in tandem with the standard controller ( master / slave) , allowing another person to control the camera while you fly or let someone learn to fly knowing you can take over in the event they get into difficulty.

If you break it, for what ever reason, then you are down your controller and screen device all in one go. Many people seem to sell off their original controller after buying the SC, if they have done so and the SC breaks........what then? Of course if you keep your 'old equipment' you have a backup

Devil's advocate here: If you break the Smart Controller you get it repaired or replaced and then wait. If you broke your TV or microwave do you have a spare? Most people don't need to fly a drone. Sure, people making a living off of it would have a backup system in place, but a professional likely wouldn't be asking this question in the first place.

Somewhat of a subjective answer, but I wouldn't waste they money personally. 600 is such a lot of money! I think a few extra batteries, would be a better investment.

The "other side of the coin" here is that not everybody needs more batteries. Somebody like me will fly for literally only minutes at a time and will very seldom deplete even one battery in an outing. Everybody's situation is different. Convenience is worth the cost for some people.

I would buy a used one for at least half the cost as they are to expensive in my opinion. Without having a 3g/4g/5g connection for wifi you will need to piggyback onto a buddy's smartphone or bring your own smartphone as a Hotspot. A friend has one and we compared his brightness to my Samsung and it was not noticeable. We even asked a couple random people that were speedwalking for their opinion which was the same. Do whatever makes you happy, I would feel like I am wasting $ and would rather spend my fun $ on something else...

I would buy a used one for at least half the cost as they are to expensive in my opinion.

They're selling used for ~ $625 on eBay. I doubt you'll be able to find one for "at least half the cost."

Without having a 3g/4g/5g connection for wifi you will need to piggyback onto a buddy's smartphone or bring your own smartphone as a Hotspot.

I'm genuinely curious, why you would need an internet connection to fly? I can understand needing a connection for updates, but if you update before leaving the house you're fine. I've used mine dozens of times without any wireless internet, it's not necessary for flight.

Reactions: scoble08
I say go for it Thumbswayup
If you hang around waiting for what comes out next you never get anything because the next best thing is always on the horizon.
My only concern was going from a 10” tablet to the 5.5” screen of the SC, I shouldn't have worried.
So fast & easy to get setup, no that's
wrong you don't have to set it up just turn it on.
The brightness / clarity of the screen are great even in the sun.
When will it ever come for the ma2???? Waiting, waiting, waiting!!!!!

They're selling used for ~ $625 on eBay. I doubt you'll be able to find one for "at least half the cost."

I'm genuinely curious, why you would need an internet connection to fly? I can understand needing a connection for updates, but if you update before leaving the house you're fine. I've used mine dozens of times without any wireless internet, it's not necessary for flight.

Its too hot for me to debate with you about the smart controller. UpS needs to quit delaying the delivery of my heat pump's dual run capacitor. Last I measured, the temp in here was 89°... OP should buy the smart co troller. They are totally awesome! There, are you ?! Now go on and take some pictures or videos and don't break any rules. They are watching......

Reactions: Dr_Angry
Its too hot for me to debate with you about the smart controller. UpS needs to quit delaying the delivery of my heat pump's dual run capacitor. Last I measured, the temp in here was 89°... OP should buy the smart co troller. They are totally awesome! There, are you [emoji4]! Now go on and take some pictures or videos and don't break any rules. They are watching......

I bought it this morning :)

Reactions: THE CYBORG
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ad60