DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bracketed photo of sunset - getting white/pink spots

black_magic100

Reactions
Why does this keep happening. Cincy Test-1.jpg

Whenever I take a photo of something really bright like a sky or sunset using the bracketed feature, it will obviously take multiple photos. When I stitch the 5 photos into an HDR and make the HDR's into a pano I get this weird artifact where it shows white and pink. No idea how to recover this, but I feel like this is a post processing error. Please help

Can't even start suggesting anything about your post processing when you say absolutely nothing about the tools or workflow you use.

Can't even start suggesting anything about your post processing when you say absolutely nothing about the tools or workflow you use.
Import RAW files into LR. Group 5 photos into stack. Convert stacks to HDR. Convert HDR files into panorama

Sky looks hideously burnt out.
The mavic sadly doesn't allow you to adjust the stepping of the bracket. This unfortunately means for some scenes there STILL isnt enough dynamic range to play with.
The simple solution is take 3 (or 5 or 7) photos MANUALLY adjusting the EV or exposure between each one to get a bigger range. The merge some or all of those.

Sky looks hideously burnt out.
The mavic sadly doesn't allow you to adjust the stepping of the bracket. This unfortunately means for some scenes there STILL isnt enough dynamic range to play with.
The simple solution is take 3 (or 5 or 7) photos MANUALLY adjusting the EV or exposure between each one to get a bigger range. The merge some or all of those.
Doesn't make sense at all. I've seen people use the same workflow and take pictures looking directly at the sun.

Burnt out wouldn't look like that at all, this is clearly some numerical clipping somewhere.

Check LR is set to use 16 bit files?

Th
Doesn't make sense at all. I've seen people use the same workflow and take pictures looking directly at the sun.

The sun brightness varies, the reflectivity and therefore brightness of whats around it on the ground varies. In other words, dynamic range of the scene can change massively. Some times the AEB is enough, other times its not.

The only other thing i can think of is make sure you're doing this from RAW not JPG files.

Th

The sun brightness varies, the reflectivity and therefore brightness of whats around it on the ground varies. In other words, dynamic range of the scene can change massively. Some times the AEB is enough, other times its not.

The only other thing i can think of is make sure you're doing this from RAW not JPG files.
Yes they are RAW. No idea why it is happening

I don't think you said what drone you are using... if it's a Pro or Platinum, adjust the exposure with the wheel... if you have Lightroom pull the highlights way, way down. The overall picture looks good, but it needs some post for sure.

I don't think you said what drone you are using... if it's a Pro or Platinum, adjust the exposure with the wheel... if you have Lightroom pull the highlights way, way down. The overall picture looks good, but it needs some post for sure.
Well it's the mavic forums so one can only assume, but it is a pro.

Also, it's not the highlights. This is some error. Those aren't just harsh highlights on the photo it is completely unrecoverable almost like it isn't even there.

I asked because there are different controls between the Air and the Pro. In particular the exposure wheel on the Pro, which should give you more control. It could be a defect in the camera, but it's almost always the software, which is the same on every Mavic if it is up to date.

I asked because there are different controls between the Air and the Pro. In particular the exposure wheel on the Pro, which should give you more control. It could be a defect in the camera, but it's almost always the software, which is the same on every Mavic if it is up to date.

It was shot in bracketed mode. Controlling shutter wouldnt do much

I shoot in bracketed mode all the time, with camera set to manual. Of course the shutter wheel makes a difference. And I don't have issues shooting into the sun.
I still think it is settings and post. Not impossible that the camera has an issue, just unlikely.
http://www.azdeepskies.com/_Media/pano0005crp-pano.jpeg
I shot in manual, RAW, 5 AEB. Pretty sure I was smart enough to get the exposure close to 0 before hitting the button so I am still not sure of the issue. Maybe I could post the RAW files online and see if others have the same issue? Would you be willing to try?

I shot in manual, RAW, 5 AEB. Pretty sure I was smart enough to get the exposure close to 0 before hitting the button so I am still not sure of the issue. Maybe I could post the RAW files online and see if others have the same issue? Would you be willing to try?
Sure.. glad to take a look

I shot in manual, RAW, 5 AEB. Pretty sure I was smart enough to get the exposure close to 0 before hitting the button

Its a dynamic range issue. 5 AEB at 0.6 stop spacing is nowhere near enough dynamic range for some scenes.
Post the raws to dropbox or similar so other people can look but the camera is nowhere near good enough for a the small increments DJI uses for its AEB mode half the time.

Agree. Would love to see variable setting there. The offered range is quite stingy. Still, I've been able to work around it with Lightroom.

Ive got countless images where AEB has failed due to the near useless small 0.6 stop settings and manual ones next to them using a full 2 stop spacing of the same scene that works perfectly.
Ultimately if the scene has a big range, recognise it and shoot manual brackets of decent size increments.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada