DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Brand new Mavic 2 Pro owner

"I'm assuming that when you're flying using the phone or iPad mini 4 that that counts?"

No, it has to be a visual line of sight. Normal glasses ok, binoculars not ok.

You should read and study enough to know what class of airspace you are thinking of using, and whether or not there are any restrictions there. Class G (uncontrolled) airspace is what you need to identify. Restrictions can be FAA or various levels of local government. When I got my first drone in March I couldn't fly in my own yard without calling someone. Rules changed so things are better now. Be sure to visit the FAA website to get the actual rules. Forums like this one are really great, but nothing beats reading the rules for yourself.

Welcome to the forums!

I second jacquespa’s recommendation about the AirMap app. It’s great for flight planning and will generally let you know if you’re good to fly in a given area. Regarding VLOS, the FAA clearly states that you (or your observer) must maintain visual contact with your aircraft at all times.

Read the manual for your aircraft and then read it again. Find an open area and fly in beginner mode. Familiarize yourself with all the settings and controls in DJI GO.

Have fun and remember these forums are a wealth of expert knowledge.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cjd54