DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Brand new Mavic 2 Pro owner

tilt your camera down a little in those two images, to get in less sky, it makes for a better photo. You don't need ND filters for still shots, for the most part, just for video when the need arises. In still shots you almost never want to have the horizon right in the centre of the frame.

Thanks for the tips. For the first time, I had the ND16 on for both video and pics. Won't bore anyone with the video, as it was nothing exciting to see haha.

I have a summer trip coming up to Iceland, so I'd like to get good enough to make decent use of it there (where allowed) as the scenery is amazing. Also will be taking it with me to Aruba this summer as well.

Thanks for the tips. For the first time, I had the ND16 on for both video and pics. Won't bore anyone with the video, as it was nothing exciting to see haha.

I have a summer trip coming up to Iceland, so I'd like to get good enough to make decent use of it there (where allowed) as the scenery is amazing. Also will be taking it with me to Aruba this summer as well.

Unless there is a reason, such as wanting to get in a great cloud formation, you generally only want a third or less of the image to be the sky. If there is a great cloud scene out to sea, for example, then you may want to change that about and get about 3/4 of the image as that cloud formation and only 1/4 or less of the ocean/sea/land, at the bottom of your image. Composition has a lot to do with a great image.

Hello from Bordentown/Chesterfield NJ. I am an avid amateur photography enthusiast and just picked up my first ever drone this morning at Best Buy, complete with the fly more package and then a polar pro ND filter kit (8/16/32).

Haven't even gone home yet to set everything up, but what are some tips for 1st time drone flyers?

Planned to charge it up, and go practice at the local county park; ie a place with some wide open spaces so as to not crash.

Also, when they say that you need to have line of site of your drone, I'm assuming that when you're flying using the phone or iPad mini 4 that that counts? Because otherwise, who flies just a few yards from yourself?

Also I downloaded the Mavic app and the air map app, and was curious regarding which restrictions I need to really follow? The air map has restrictions over schools for example (not that I want to fly there) whereas the mavic maps don't seem to put restrictions there?

Thanks for any tips in advance. Very excited to get started and add aerial photos to my repertoire.
Welcome to Mavic Pilots from Dayton Ohio! Enjoy your new M2P, I love mine, Fly safe and have fun!

I agree with @Cymruflyer. Everyone should be encouraged to always fly VLOS.

Sorry. Wrong answer. Visual line of site is required in the U.S. by the FAA.
With my strobes I can see it at 2.5 - 3 miles out in the open desert.

Can someone explain why none of the maps that tell you where you can fly match? DJI geo zone seems the least restrictive, while Air Map, B4UFLY etc. all have conflicting information....how the heck does anyone know where they can legit fly or not?

Looking for some places to fly this weekend, and it’s near impossible to actually be clear as to where I can and cannot fly in the NJ/PA area.

Can someone explain why none of the maps that tell you where you can fly match? DJI geo zone seems the least restrictive, while Air Map, B4UFLY etc. all have conflicting information....how the heck does anyone know where they can legit fly or not?

Looking for some places to fly this weekend, and it’s near impossible to actually be clear as to where I can and cannot fly in the NJ/PA area.

Flying under the model aircraft rules you need to be in compliance with the FAA Part 336 requirements. The apps don't always agree because the data comes from different sources. While the FAA recommends using B4UFly I have found it to be out of date in some areas where I fly. I understand that the FAA is in the process of getting a new map provider which may help. The thing I focus on is: am I within 5 miles of an airport and who do I need to contact at that airport. My experience is that the staff at most airports are helpful and can assist you if you have questions.
The DJI maps show the runway approach lanes where fixed wing aircraft are most likely to be flying low. DJI seems to show no fly zones around prisons and other sensitive area accurately in my experience. I believe others have had issues where DJI has placed NFZs where they shouldn't be but I guess I have been lucky.
Aviation sectional charts are another resource but they do not show the heliports.

Flying under the model aircraft rules you need to be in compliance with the FAA Part 336 requirements. The apps don't always agree because the data comes from different sources. While the FAA recommends using B4UFly I have found it to be out of date in some areas where I fly. I understand that the FAA is in the process of getting a new map provider which may help. The thing I focus on is: am I within 5 miles of an airport and who do I need to contact at that airport. My experience is that the staff at most airports are helpful and can assist you if you have questions.
The DJI maps show the runway approach lanes where fixed wing aircraft are most likely to be flying low. DJI seems to show no fly zones around prisons and other sensitive area accurately in my experience. I believe others have had issues where DJI has placed NFZs where they shouldn't be but I guess I have been lucky.
Aviation sectional charts are another resource but they do not show the heliports.
I get the 5 mile from airport thing, and I see no flying in State and National parks, but was looking for county parks and don't see a thing.

The rules are just very convoluted... it would be like having 3 speed limits on one sign on the same road.

Actually you DO have to see the drone yourself. I don't think that is good information to be passing on, telling new flyers they don't have to see their drone when flying. The law states that you absolutely have to be able to see your drone during your entire flight. Any suggestions to the contrary to any flyer is not helping any of us to stem greater restrictions of our flying. It may get to the point that we may lose a lot of flying freedom, due to people doing what you are suggesting and having an accident as a result of not being able to see where they are flying in able to properly control their drone.

Any others reading that feel this way, please join in to tell this new member (He only joined on the 4th of March) what is good and bad advice to another flyer.
Well that may be a US law but not in northern Alberta. I don’t. Believe anyone when they say they can see their small drone 3 miles out. I live over 230 km from the nearest airport and only fly over my land. About 10 sections. I read stories about guys buzzing auto events and guys flying so far out they lose video signal. I’m not at all in agreements to that. I guess if you live around a lot of people and share your public spaces, your advice may apply

Some State parks in PA allow drone use, but you must be an AMA member or have liability insurance for your drone. Anyone do either?

Some State parks in PA allow drone use, but you must be an AMA member or have liability insurance for your drone. Anyone do either?
I have both. The insurance package also includes $1k for the drone, which is not enough IMHO, but would help a lot. Ins. is part of membership. I am more comfortable flying due to having the large amounts of property damage and liability coverage. They also have a legislative lobby.

Reactions: Dave Maine
I have both. The insurance package also includes $1k for the drone, which is not enough IMHO, but would help a lot. Ins. is part of membership. I am more comfortable flying due to having the large amounts of property damage and liability coverage. They also have a legislative lobby.
Thanks. Signed up for the full membership with AMA.

I get the 5 mile from airport thing, and I see no flying in State and National parks, but was looking for county parks and don't see a thing.

The rules are just very convoluted... it would be like having 3 speed limits on one sign on the same road.

NJ recently changed their law and now allows flying in state parks as long as you are compliant with FAA requirements.

Do you have a link to this?

Unfortunately I don't, but it is in NJ criminal code 2C:40-27 through 30. I found it at one time and printed it but did not save it. Of note part 29 states that this change preempts any local municipality laws.

This site is handy for me as it opens right up and covers lots of area. It does include the heliport near me. Not sure how often it is updated. www.vfrmap.com

Reactions: Mgugs46
This site is handy for me as it opens right up and covers lots of area. It does include the heliport near me. Not sure how often it is updated. www.vfrmap.com

Thanks, just checked in my area and it only shows 1 of the 8 (known to me) Heliports. Probably because it is the public one and it has fuel.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spencergotty