DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Brand new Mavic Pro - Fly More Combo - battery issues - all three batteries DOA

Prelude93

Reactions
Hi,

New to drones, just received my MP with Fly More combo on Dec 31, 2019 from Canada Computers- last brand new unit they had in their warehouse. I tried to charge all three batteries using charging hub or individually using charging adapter. It no luck. Remote control charged properly using the hub. But hub showed red led after about 5 minutes of charging.

One of three batteries out of the box seems to be swollen? The label of back of the battery seems bubbled out. Other two batteries the label is firmly attached to back of batteries. I’ve crossed referenced the s/n of batteries and drone and all were manufactured Aug 2017.

I’ve tried to charge individual batteries for over 3-5 hours each. One battery will flash lights when charging first led flashes about 16 times then stops and repeats. Other two batteries do not light up at all. Any ideas of how I can get batteries charged or do I have to have them replaced? Eager to start flying.

With that issue on all three batteries, better to replace them. Would be interesting to know the production dates on everything in the package.
This link will be a help to make that determination. My guess is you got one that spent too much time on a shelf.

Hi,

New to drones, just received my MP with Fly More combo on Dec 31, 2019 from Canada Computers- last brand new unit they had in their warehouse. I tried to charge all three batteries using charging hub or individually using charging adapter. It no luck. Remote control charged properly using the hub. But hub showed red led after about 5 minutes of charging.

One of three batteries out of the box seems to be swollen? The label of back of the battery seems bubbled out. Other two batteries the label is firmly attached to back of batteries. I’ve crossed referenced the s/n of batteries and drone and all were manufactured Aug 2017.

I’ve tried to charge individual batteries for over 3-5 hours each. One battery will flash lights when charging first led flashes about 16 times then stops and repeats. Other two batteries do not light up at all. Any ideas of how I can get batteries charged or do I have to have them replaced? Eager to start flying.

I had that exact issue with three Phantom 4 batteries that I let sit for 2.5 years....I recently went to dig them out and they showed exactly the same LED flashing pattern. They are dead, dead, dead and sorry to say, not coming back to the point where you could ever trust them

DJI Go4 app will tell you manufactured date for each battery.

Did you rule out a bad charger first ??

The swollen one I would def have replaced.

I have over 45 flights on each of my MP batteries and i still get well over 15 minutes at around 50 percent left - rarely take them down below 40 percent.

DJI Go4 app will tell you manufactured date for each battery.

I might be missing something here...how do you use the DJI GO app to get information on a dead battery?

Anyway, the OP already knows the date of manufacture.

Batteries probably went flat and died if it’s from August 2017, that's almost 2.5yrs in storage mode. If memory serves new batteries are shipped with a transport charge which is quite low <30%) only.

I might be missing something here...how do you use the DJI GO app to get information on a dead battery?

Anyway, the OP already knows the date of manufacture.
It's my understanding they weren't completely dead - hence the comment to double check the Go4 app date - sure S/N maybe a number but not necessarily the correct manufacture date possibly - we are only trying to help - so no need to negative comments on an already puzzling issue.

Reactions: pelagic_one
I would greatly appreciate any update info on a resolution to the DOA batteries you have. GULP.................my new MP will be here next week. Now I'm wondering if they'll be OK or what?

It's my understanding they weren't completely dead - hence the comment to double check the Go4 app date - sure S/N maybe a number but not necessarily the correct manufacture date possibly - we are only trying to help - so no need to negative comments on an already puzzling issue.
Don't be so defensive, it was a serious question. I have a lot at stake....three dead $150 batteries that I'd love to get info on from the DJI GO app.

I would greatly appreciate any update info on a resolution to the DOA batteries you have. GULP.................my new MP will be here next week. Now I'm wondering if they'll be OK or what?
Depends on where it was purchased from? If it’s a store that doesn’t move a lot of product, may be a shelf queen like the one the op acquired.

Don't be so defensive, it was a serious question. I have a lot at stake....three dead $150 batteries that I'd love to get info on from the DJI GO app.

Were yours DOA ir are they just getting old ??

I am going on two years with mine and three batteries easily give me 15 minutes down to about 50 percent - I gave really been careful with my batteries - 45-50 lights on all three - I never store them less than 45-60 percent between flights and always at room temp or above

Were yours DOA ir are they just getting old ??

I am going on two years with mine and three batteries easily give me 15 minutes down to about 50 percent - I gave really been careful with my batteries - 45-50 lights on all three - I never store them less than 45-60 percent between flights and always at room temp or above
Mine sat for about 2 years without any attention. When I lugged the thing out last week, all the batteries do the same thing as described by the OP ... rapid flash LED #1 for 16 flashes, then pause, then start over (these are Phantom 4 batteries, not Mavic Pro batteries), and none of them will take a charge, nor will they power the Phantom 4 on. I bought a new battery, and that charges up and powers the drone just fine. They were at 50% charge when they were stored, but I'm sure have self-discharged to the point where they just won't take a charge. I don't know if that's due to cells that are just discharged too far (there is no swelling), or if there's something in the circuit board that's preventing charging, but really doesn't matter. I have no desire to follow the several YouTube instructions and take the things apart.

These batteries require regular maintenance, if they sit too long they will die just like any lipo. You need to top them off every couple months or so if you’re not using them. It sounds like the OP got a Fly More Combo that has been sitting on a shelf for years, in which case I would ask for a refund from the dealer. We can’t expext retailers to adhere to these rules, but hopefully they are honest and will refund the sale. I haven’t flown my Inspire 1 for well over a year, but I charge the batts (8 in total) every 2 months to keep them healthy. It’s an easy thing to forget to do, but if you don’t remember to they will at some point be paperweights.

Reactions: DorsetDrone
Hi all,

thanks for the comments. The update after several phone calls with reseller, dji support and dji service company in Toronto the same response was given. It would be 3 weeks to a month before replacement batteries would be available. So in the end I found a deal on kijiji this afternoon for a MP1 with fly more combo and DJI white FPV goggles for the same price I paid for the new MP1 combo. The MP1 only had 10 hr fly time and all batteries look good and charged up. With only 16 charge cycles each

the return process tonight for the new MP1 started off rough as they first refused as they said drone sales were final when opened. I explained it was never plastic wrapped and the batteries were DOA so as far as I was concerned all of it was DOA. With no way to prove otherwise. They didn’t have batteries to test. I showed them everything was in
Package and I only had it in my hands since 2 pm on Dec 31, 2019. Just over 48 hours. In the end the accepted the return. Now I have to get refunded for DJI Refresh I out on it on Dec 31. Keeping my fingers crossed....

My 3 batteries from '017 M1P combo (or early '018 maybe) seem to behave well to this day. Basic routine I practice was, never leave battery with charge outside of 45-65% sit for more than an hour, period. Additionally, once a year (probably not enough) I would drain the battery to empty auto shutoff slowly and then charge to 100% then use it, as a recondition measure. They sleep peacefully and for a long time when half charged.

This can be a problem, the M1P has been out a while, stocks can get stale, but you'd think a retailer would offload older stock in clearances now and then.

See this similar thread, same sort of scenario and some suggestions to wake up DOA batteries, which may be in sleep mode.

If waking them up works, then you can either take the risk on how long they will last, or return the whole package I guess.
If they don't wake up you can simply return the whole package and ask for a new flymore combo, check batteries in store when it arrives.

I wouldn't do this with the swollen battery though, return that to the retailer and get a replacement if they have one, or they can get one in for you.

Additionally, once a year (probably not enough) I would drain the battery to empty auto shutoff slowly and then charge to 100% then use it, as a recondition measure.

I would only drain to perhaps 5% or so, you shouldn't drain them to 0.

I would only drain to perhaps 5% or so, you shouldn't drain them to 0.
Keep in mind, 'empty' is not physically empty, it is simply the low voltage cutoff point as determined by DJI. If you do insist on interrupting a recondition cycle at 5%, then maybe dont even bother and just let the battery age on its own terms. That method might actually creep capacity away from you for all I know!

Unless you thought I meant actually short circuiting the battery somehow to actually empty the cells to zero, but they would probably catch on fire or explode before that though...

My EXACT same situation. DJI basically told me to just return the whole thing to seller.

Were you able to get your DJI Care Refresh refunded as well? I also purchased it but it was only $50.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
I’m still waiting on their decision on the dji refresh refund. They asked for proof of return which I sent a pic of the refund receipt which showed the S/N of the drone.

based on their written policy they stipulate a refund is allowed on returned products. So I don‘t think it will be a problem.

just curious how did you get the refresh for $50?Where are you located? I’m in Canada but bought the refresh from dji website for $99 USD.

Reactions: easyheimer
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78