DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Brand new Mini 2 landed in lake

Uncooked rice is a desiccant. It may not be very efficient but it works to a degree. For one thing, it is used to keep salt from clumping in salt cellars.

The only reason it works with salt is the direct contact with the salt crystals and the bottled moisture content being very, very low.

It’s of not use for electronic devices and just another dumb Internet myth.

Reactions: AZDave
The only reason it works with salt is the direct contact with the salt crystals and the bottled moisture content being very, very low.

It’s of not use for electronic devices and just another dumb Internet myth.
Is this a myth?

"All desiccants and the white rice were effective in removing moisture from hearing aids, with Hal Hen Super Dri Aid showing the largest mean reduction in relative humidity. Based on analysis of covariance results, white rice was statistically similar to several of the commercial desiccants."

Maybe you have your own research paper to back up your statement?

Is this a myth?

"All desiccants and the white rice were effective in removing moisture from hearing aids, with Hal Hen Super Dri Aid showing the largest mean reduction in relative humidity. Based on analysis of covariance results, white rice was statistically similar to several of the commercial desiccants."

Maybe you have your own research paper to back up your statement?

Mmm, a sponsored ‘paper’ that does a great job of debunking itself. Is this the best proof of a myth you can find?

Hearing Aid electronics are typically encapsulated to keep body moisture out and protecting the electronic components.

The purpose of that paper was for Third World countries that have no other capability to control moisture ingress. How many of those countries can afford hearing aids?

Rice is a very, very poor desiccant but when even mildly moist is very good at releasing sugars providing ideal breeding grounds for bacteria and fungi - just what you want growing inside your delicate electronic devices.

Mmm, a sponsored ‘paper’ that does a great job of debunking itself. Is this the best proof of a myth you can find?

Hearing Aid electronics are typically encapsulated to keep body moisture out and protecting the electronic components.

The purpose of that paper was for Third World countries that have no other capability to control moisture ingress. How many of those countries can afford hearing aids?

Rice is a very, very poor desiccant but when even mildly moist is very good at releasing sugars providing ideal breeding grounds for bacteria and fungi - just what you want growing inside your delicate electronic devices.
Are you an authority on dessicants? Where is your paper? :) Why do you care so much about this? Are you a troll?

Are you an authority on dessicants? Where is your paper? :) Why do you care so much about this? Are you a troll?

Me personally? No, just 40-years experience keeping liquids out of electronics. But my eldest nephew actually is. He’s responsible for the design and manufacturing of gas monitoring systems used in most of the World’s power generating stations and tunnels and a well known subject matter expert in the industry.

I’ve just spoken with him and mentioned the ever present myth. Once he stopped laughing he quoted the often told story his company gives to trainees.

An Asian rice salesman had the idea of boosting sales after hearing how many people drop their smartphones in the sea/river/puddle/bath/WC. Knowing rice when boiled was good at absorbing water then maybe rice could dry these smartphones. There are millions of them out there, even if just a fraction of 1% used rice in this way it could lead to hundreds of thousands of extra sales and let him retire a wealthy man. He had just one way of letting people know of his solution to their woes... the Internet.

We keep testing the Minis in the water , on the water , in the sun and with no sun , and have yet to capture the Drone purposely landing on the lake,

We also fully submerge drones in the water and the Mini was quick to have the ESC board Errors after submersion however we did not have any moisture in the Camera.

When it comes to drying your Drone after being submerged , its Fresh water rinse and 2 days near a fire place . We dont use the Rice as its just a pain .

Either the Drone is going to fire up and not have any errors or its going to need some new Mother Board or parts, If its the ESC which as mentioned is the weak link on the Submersion test with the mini than it needs some type of replacement.

The only thing that makes sense in the OP case is the Drone landed in the Water , got wet and fell back in because it got wet.

Watch how fast the Mini can land on the water < that is very quick compared to the AIr 2 and the Air 2S and the Mavic 2 that takes much more effort and time and holding the sticks down to force it to land which can be seen in are other videos.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic Mini in the RAIN and land on the Waves.

Its almost instant landing , unlike any other drone on the water.

Last edited:
While you may eventually get all the moisture out of the camera, the same cannot be said for the residue left by the water. As an imaging device, do you really want a film of murk covering the image sensor, lenses and glass of the camera's eye?
It might not be too bad. The last actual camera I got (I.e. not a phone) was a little Sony pocket camera I found while out and about walking my dog. It was completely submerged in a dirty puddle with a smashed LCD screen. I took the battery out and literally poured the water out of it. I let it dry out for a few days, the put the battery back in and it powered right up. After that I ordered a new battery and screen, and it still works perfectly to this day.

It might not be too bad. The last actual camera I got (I.e. not a phone) was a little Sony pocket camera I found while out and about walking my dog. It was completely submerged in a dirty puddle with a smashed LCD screen. I took the battery out and literally poured the water out of it. I let it dry out for a few days, the put the battery back in and it powered right up. After that I ordered a new battery and screen, and it still works perfectly to this day.
I imagine some lens, image sensor assemblies are fairly well sealed against the elements, specifically to keep out dust and moisture. So it might be that those components were not compromised.
DJI replaced the OP's new Mini 2, so no worries for them.?

I spent 35 years as an electronics engineer and manager in the semiconductor industry. He's right ... using rice as a desiccant is mostly a myth, especially if the water is not pure.

Just let it dry out slowly for a few days. I don't know how warm or sunny it is in Finland but if you have a south facing window leave it there. I've had a few drown bits of tech, mostly hand held radios, over the years and the main thing is to get the battery out to stop any electrolytic corrosion. If it's been exposed to salt water, just flush it with clean water and go through the drying process. Good luck.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Claybird