DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Brand new MP right drift when flying forward... I'm out of ideas.

I had this issue. Returned it to DJI. They diagnosed it as faulty ESC and replaced with a different drone.

I had this issue. Returned it to DJI. They diagnosed it as faulty ESC and replaced with a different drone.

Did your defective mavic make a short "buzz" sound sometimes during boot up?

Do you have "propeller cage" switched on? Without the cages it says it causes a vibration that might do this?

@Spirytus did you ever post your .DAT. It's a long thread and I didn't see it. If you post it we can take a look.

Video is a worth a thousand words so please have a look at this (it's short and to the point):

Here's the log for this flight:

Phantom Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

The video starts roughly halfway down the log, when the mavic is facing NW along the dirt road towards the tracks.

Unit is brand new, assembly/build date March 29 (based on the S/N).

I'm out of ideas guys. Done / re-done all the possible calibrations I can think off:
  • IMU calibration: (3 times at two seperate locations) all level surfaces.
  • Compass - multiple times / multiple areas away from any metal objects, nothing in my pocket, cell phone put away in the car.
  • Radio stick calibrations.
  • Gimbal calibration.
  • VPS calibration.
At first I thought it was the gimbal, but paying close attention visually I did notice a slight roll when she flies - You can clearly see it in the video as well 2 ~ 3 deg to the right. This particular flight was a windless morning.

What's more confusing it gets worse (or better) depending on the direction the Mavic is facing. At this point I'm guessing its the compass ('s) but I can't tell for sure. Looked at the FC log files and I don't see anything obvious. The compass deviation numbers "look" similar to my Phantom but than again I'm no expert.

What do you guys think?
Your Controller is out of calibration. Calibrate away from any metal. Heres how.

How do you get the pitch and throttle readings in scrEen as you have them???

Did your defective mavic make a short "buzz" sound sometimes during boot up?

Nothing out of the ordinary.
My advice would be ring DJI and send back if you are not happy with it and cannot fix with any recalibrations.

Your Controller is out of calibration. Calibrate away from any metal. Heres how.

Yeah, I already tried that several times and I concluded this wasn't the problem. See previous posts.

Nothing out of the ordinary.
My advice would be ring DJI and send back if you are not happy with it and cannot fix with any recalibrations.

Sent it back, now just waiting... it sucks.

@Spirytus did you ever post your .DAT. It's a long thread and I didn't see it. If you post it we can take a look.

No I didn't post it since no one seemed particularly interested, but here you go:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0R16hekGVPGWHFBWkViNENMRDg/view?usp=sharing

This is the FC log of the youtube video I linked in my original post. The video shared in my post starts towards the end of this flight log (where the fault is most obvious).

I tried to find some credible indicator that proves something is 'off', but without having a sample .DAT of a good working unit it's hard for me to see anything that says "aha!".

Great programs by the way!

Yeah, I already tried that several times and I concluded this wasn't the problem. See previous posts.

Sent it back, now just waiting... it sucks.

No I didn't post it since no one seemed particularly interested, but here you go:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0R16hekGVPGWHFBWkViNENMRDg/view?usp=sharing

This is the FC log of the youtube video I linked in my original post. The video shared in my post starts towards the end of this flight log (where the fault is most obvious).

I tried to find some credible indicator that proves something is 'off', but without having a sample .DAT of a good working unit it's hard for me to see anything that says "aha!".

Great programs by the way!
In that segment the Yaw is -38 degrees. DirectionOfTravel:True also shows -38 degrees and is computed by DatCon from successive GPS locations, i.e. it's independent of the Flight Controller and it's calculations. Google Earth also shows -38 degrees. So it seems likely that the Mavic is pointed the way it's flying, i.e. it's not moving laterally.

The only possibility left, AFAIK, is that the gimbal is pointing left. But, the heading for it is -38 degrees as well. Is it possible that the gimbal isn't mounted properly? This isn't consistent with your observation that the error is heading dependent. Are you sure about that?

There wasn't any evidence of a compass problem.

I'm experiencing exactly the same symptoms on my Mavic, been driving me crazy. Keeps veering ever so slightly to the right. Don't have this problem with P4P.

In that segment the Yaw is -38 degrees. DirectionOfTravel:True also shows -38 degrees and is computed by DatCon from successive GPS locations, i.e. it's independent of the Flight Controller and it's calculations. Google Earth also shows -38 degrees. So it seems likely that the Mavic is pointed the way it's flying, i.e. it's not moving laterally.

The only possibility left, AFAIK, is that the gimbal is pointing left. But, the heading for it is -38 degrees as well. Is it possible that the gimbal isn't mounted properly? This isn't consistent with your observation that the error is heading dependent. Are you sure about that?

There wasn't any evidence of a compass problem.

Appreciate you looking at it, thanks.

I definitely inspected the gimbal several times and it looked fine. Upon power up it did its dance and then it faced forward (have pictures if interested). Though never absolutely still - it would track to the side very slowly along the horizon.

I did one test where, ignoring the camera/screen completely, I lined up the Mavic visually along a long straight path, waited a moment for it to settle and pitched forward (full). It flew straight for about a second then begun to 'slip' to the side... Soon enough it had drifted outside the curb and I had to stop the test before the mavic collided with a tree planed on the side.

Most clear example of this is by generating a KML file (ground trace) and viewing it in google earth. You can definitely see a a gradual curve when I punch-it forward (initially aligned along the dirt road)... It's like it's trying to correct for something - but what?

soq907J.jpg

soq907J

The consistency of this error varies in severity and it is somehow affected by the heading but I can't say conclusively what directions = degree of severity. The one I choose to display here seems to be the worst.

[Post edit: clarification, spelling]

Last edited:
I'm experiencing exactly the same symptoms on my Mavic, been driving me crazy. Keeps veering ever so slightly to the right. Don't have this problem with P4P.

When did you purchase yours? You do have 15 days to raise a ticket with support before your refund eligibility expires then your best hope is a replacement unit.

Here's the troubleshooting I followed, maybe it will fix it for you:
  1. Calibrate compass in a wide open field away from any metal (including anything in your pocket and the radio controller). If nil fix:
  2. Do a fully IMU calibration on an absolutely flat surface (use a level), if nil fix:
  3. Calibrate gimbal. If nil fix:
  4. Calibrate remote sticks. If nil fix:
  5. Calibrate VPS in Assistant 2 software. If nil fix:
  6. Roll back firmware to .400 on the Mavic and the controller. Note: Be patient, it hang for me at 86% for about 15minutes before finishing. Restore setting to factory defaults (again in Assistant 2). Then finally recalibrate IMU and lastly the compass -- do the compass right before flight. If nil fix:
  7. Contact DJI support for your ups return label. May want to post on the official forums to get a CSR flag your case and welcome to the "it sucks to be you" mavic club.

Last edited:
Mine is doing much of the same, however not as much as yours did. Did you get yours repaired or refunded?

Im on my second mavic with both this issue, gimbal drifting when hovering and focus issue near the edges. Starting to get tired of this drone :/

Mine fly to left. I sent back to DJI. They said something like the Motor Speed Control unit was faulty. They replaced drone.

Mine is doing much of the same, however not as much as yours did. Did you get yours repaired or refunded?

Im on my second mavic with both this issue, gimbal drifting when hovering and focus issue near the edges. Starting to get tired of this drone :/

Went with the full refund. Haven't bought another. QA is a hit or miss with DJI and the RMA process is slow AF.

Reactions: RobP62
Mine drifts sideways too, and this is a replacement unit that replaced an original focus issue unit. Getting tired of all the problems with these crummy cheap Chinese junk drones. I don't think I can send it back, so probably just have to live with it. The slow process thing is one of their tactics to deter you from sending their crappy stuff back.

Mine drifts sideways too, and this is a replacement unit that replaced an original focus issue unit. Getting tired of all the problems with these crummy cheap Chinese junk drones. I don't think I can send it back, so probably just have to live with it. The slow process thing is one of their tactics to deter you from sending their crappy stuff back.

It is a known fact that replacements in almost all cases are refurbished units. If you're within the 15 day refund time-frame, don't hesitate - insist on a refund.

The RMA process is slow, but in my experience the CS reps I was dealing with were very professional and sided with me every time. I guess that's the once saving Grace for DJIs post sale support.

Just one more comment; the 1 year manufacturer warranty covers all hardware defects. If you've tried all the calibrations (especially compass and sticks for this particular drifting issue) then you're fully entitled to a replacement.

Especially if your defective unit is a replacement. If you bought your original through the DJI store insist on a new unit. I know of at least two members on the Phantom forum that went through the same BS and in the end they finally received a new unit.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada