DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

BREAKING Flights at Gatwick Airport halted amid reports of drone flying in area

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately, although assisted by the ever dramatic media the public view of Drone operators has in my opinion been largely self-inflicted.

Though I doubt this incident is simply some moron, the fact remains that the sheer number of irresponsible drone users has had an inevitable effect.

Even self proclaimed 'responsible users' seem to have problems even recognising that flying a handful of metres from the threshold of an active runway is beyond dumb (as evidenced by a recent thread in here)

I'm afraid it's simply a reflection of society, we now have at least 3 generations of people who grew up in an education system that constantly made allowances for them instead of actually embedding any sense of responsibility.

It's not the fault of technology, it's the result of decades under an ill conceived education policy and pi55 poor parenting passing down increasingly selfish yet un-self-aware behaviour to the next generation.
It will only get worse.

BBC Radio 5 Live about to have a phone in about this at 9am UK time. They’ve already commuted this story to “drones bad” rather than “criminals bad” citing “people find these annoying” and “affect privacy.”
We all know some people do find drones annoying and can affect privacy when not used responsibly. But I agree the politicians will use this as an excuse to clamp down on drone use. The idiots flying drones around Gatwick causing this chaos need the **** kicked out of them.

I’m really worried this hobby is going to get massively restricted for all of us because of a minority of idiots like this. :(
So true equipment costing $/£ 1000+ could be banned from flying anywhere.

Reactions: adam3112
I live 10 minutes from there and It was tipping it down last night. Any consumer grade drone flying at that time would have got water damage for sure.

I know this isn't the point, but makes me question what type of drone was used.

They should clamp down on them, at the moment the CAA is proposing that we register all drone pilots, but I don't think this goes far enough. Each drone should be registered and have a serial number fixed to it, make hacking/rooting drones illegal, ban home-made drones that don't have geofencing, make everybody use an official app which supports geofencing, and get rid of these ****** little £50 things that idiots buy their kids for Christmas.

They should clamp down on them, at the moment the CAA is proposing that we register all drone pilots, but I don't think this goes far enough. Each drone should be registered and have a serial number fixed to it, make hacking/rooting drones illegal, ban home-made drones that don't have geofencing, make everybody use an official app which supports geofencing, and get rid of these ****** little £50 things that idiots buy their kids for Christmas.

Where your argument falls down is that criminals intent on disrupting an airport (a) won’t register (b) will remove serial numbers (c) will hack, removing geofencing and electronic ID (d) they will be able to get their hands on them from second hand market and will easily import if sellers in UK need licensed.

What you’re proposing (and some of the legislation already coming) doesn’t solve the problem. Harsher sentencing for this kind of activity - even terrorism classification (threatening to bring down an aircraft, causing fear/distress/alarm) is what is required.

Where your argument falls down is that criminals intent on disrupting an airport (a) won’t register (b) will remove serial numbers (c) will hack, removing geofencing and electronic ID (d) they will be able to get their hands on them from second hand market and will easily import if sellers in UK need licensed.

What you’re proposing (and some of the legislation already coming) doesn’t solve the problem. Harsher sentencing for this kind of activity - even terrorism classification (threatening to bring down an aircraft, causing fear/distress/alarm) is what is required.

I was just commenting on the law itself, enforcing it also needs to be sorted, there should be some kind of contingency at all airports in case of this event - like equipment to bring down drones such as a jammer, or a drone belonging to the authorities to physically take them out, or one of those net guns. I think they could probably class this as terrorism as it is?

This stinks! Who flies at midnight in the pissing rain?? What's with the bright light on the object?? Who flies again after causing so much disruption knowing there's a good chance they'll be caught?? I believe it reappeared at 3:am. Why is the airport still shut? Wow what incredible battery life!! Something's fishy.

Reactions: MavicScot and mnis
This stinks! Who flies at midnight in the pissing rain?? What's with the bright light on the object?? Who flies again after causing so much disruption knowing there's a good chance they'll be caught?? I believe it reappeared at 3:am. Why is the airport still shut? Wow what incredible battery life!! Something's fishy.

This information about the battery life sounds like misreporting. There are multiple drones involved (at least two) and the footage I’ve seen looks like a helicopter trying to locate the drones. It sounds like the users have multiple batteries and means of recharging. If you have extra drones it may appear that it’s the same two. As they can travel fast and the operator could be a couple of miles away at a quiet location it will be difficult to track (might even have covered lights with tape). As for flying in the rain, you’d be surprised at how tolerant even a Mavic is to some rain. The effects of water on electronics unlikely to have it register if you’re thick or a criminal.

Last edited:
Reactions: mnis
How on earth is this going on for so long??

Edit: I'm a little sweary this morning :confused:

If there were drones flying, they should take them down, instead of closing the airport.

Flying over an airfield, is already illegal. What "more regulations" are coming?

Is everyone buying a toy drone for his kids a "moron"?

Do we realize, that we are talking about flying toys, and flying little cameras?
Ok, expensive toys, sometimes.

If we think that "politicians" are stupid, making unfair regulations, then we shouldn't vote for them.
Next time, every drone hobbyist, should vote some drone owners, instead of crying about "some morons who ruin our hobby".

Reactions: mnis and Jerry
Personally I don’t think politicians are stupid, I do however think they are human and biased towards their own agendas. This news will effect drones, legislation, policing, opinions, taxes .. etc etc .. around the world. . I’d like to see proof of the actual reason flights have been disrupted. And even then I know that any new rules or safeguards that effect day to day flyers is not going to stop this kinda thing happening.

Reactions: choo choo
the sad thing is whatever the outcome of all this turns out to be its just more bad news for the the drone hobbyist

You would they would put security out there on the look out somewhere hidden or hiding out to try and catch the drone operator or at least try and take down the drone.

the sad thing is whatever the outcome of all this turns out to be its just more bad news for the the drone hobbyist

They can't take this out on hobbyists, it's obviously a co-ordinated attack by people who wouldn't adhere to any new laws, they need to focus on enforcement rather than just making up new rules, something this country always fails to realise. You can have as many laws as you want, if they're not enforced then it's pointless.

I thought they were training birds of prey to take out drones at airports etc? Obviously they didn't.

Seems like a coordinated disruption with a bank of batteries on charge, rather than someone with limited flying skills.

I shudder to think of the economic cost, they said 700+ flights cancelled! Be interesting to see if they're able to catch the dickheads involved.

Reactions: mnis
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman