DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Brighter display - Android phone or DJI Goggles?

gward1211

Reactions
I'm hanging out for a Mavic Pro 2. I'm going on an extended RV trip on 6 August and hope it will be available by then. If not, I will have to settle for a MP Platinum or a Mavic Air.
I previously had a P3 Advanced until it was stolen from the back seat of my car. With that drone, I used an iPad Mini 3. On a bright day, it was useless unless I could stand in shade. My Sony Experia Z3 Compact was even worse. So, I wish for a better display.
Is there a standout Android phone with a very bright display? I don't want an iPhone.
Would DJI Goggles be a good choice for every day flying or are they for some special purpose? Could you fly regularly with Goggles and no phone display?
Looking forward to some help.
Geoff

I'm hanging out for a Mavic Pro 2. I'm going on an extended RV trip on 6 August and hope it will be available by then. If not, I will have to settle for a MP Platinum or a Mavic Air.
I previously had a P3 Advanced until it was stolen from the back seat of my car. With that drone, I used an iPad Mini 3. On a bright day, it was useless unless I could stand in shade. My Sony Experia Z3 Compact was even worse. So, I wish for a better display.
Is there a standout Android phone with a very bright display? I don't want an iPhone.
Would DJI Goggles be a good choice for every day flying or are they for some special purpose? Could you fly regularly with Goggles and no phone display?
Looking forward to some help.
Geoff
First off unless you have a spotter the googles break the rule of VLOS and are definitely not for everyday flying as you are unaware of your surroundings. Sooner rather than latter you will end in disaster.
Second, there are some good phones available now that do have very bright screens that are excellent in bright sun, some like Huawei, Samsung and others up in the 800 to 1000 nit range are superb and the third choice is maybe the expensive DJI Crystal Sky monitor which comes in 2 sizes and 2 different briteness but even the low briteness is biter than any phone on the market.

Epson Moverio glasses. With the right shades, you can see the screen even in full sunlight but still see through them to your drone. Or you can put them in an enclosure and they become true goggles. They are small and light, and the only way I will fly my Mavic now.

Thanks Dragonfly, you've convinced me not to get DJI Goggles.
Thanks Will.i.am, The Epson Moverio glasses look good but a little outside my budget. They're $1,300+ in Australia.

I think I will need to visit a phone retailer and check out the brightness of a Huawei phone compared to the more expensive Samsung range.

Anyone have any specific phone comments?

I've just read that the Galaxy S9 has a brightness of 1,130 cd/m2 (nits). That's better that the smaller 5.5inch Crystal Sky High Brightness with 1/3 the thickness and a phone thrown in. The Samsung would seem to be the best option, albeit a fair bit more expensive. I just have to convince myself (and significant other) that I need a new phone.

I have an S8 and can easily see the screen in the brightest Australian sun
Yes, the S8 is amazingly bright. Got one too.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS