DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Broken leg - can I fly?

bzmot

Reactions
I had the stupidest crash last week with the Mav2Zoom. I didn't notice the terrace railing as I was landing. The drone was already level with my face and the snagged against the railing and fell. Now one of the landing gears legs fractured.It won't fall off I think but it moves and cables show. The LED still works as you can see. No other damage that I can tell. I will get it fixed eventually but it's not in my budget right now so in your professional opinion, can I fly like this? I always take off from my hand and hand catch for landing so that's not an issue. Flying-wise though...?IMG_4312.jpg

I had the stupidest crash last week with the Mav2Zoom. I didn't notice the terrace railing as I was landing. The drone was already level with my face and the snagged against the railing and fell. Now one of the landing gears legs fractured.It won't fall off I think but it moves and cables show. The LED still works as you can see. No other damage that I can tell. I will get it fixed eventually but it's not in my budget right now so in your professional opinion, can I fly like this? I always take off from my hand and hand catch for landing so that's not an issue. Flying-wise though...?View attachment 99218
as long as you are careful it would be ok to glue the leg back, as a temporary measure to get you back in the air, normally i believe a new arm comes complete with a motor and antenna installed but just make sure before you go ahead and glue it, it should not impact on airframe integrity, just make sure the arm is not damaged ,or any other part of the airframe before you fly again

Last edited:
Be very careful, the antennas are in the front legs.

You could / should be able to fly ok, but I would certainly want to stabilise the break (like splinting a broken leg), bit of epoxy glue like Araldite etc, and hand launch / catch.
But just keep a very close eye on signal, make sure it's rock solid.

Legs are not that dear though, if you're ok to solder, plenty of YouTube tutorials on arm replacement.

i agree, you should be fine. Jb weld or AMAZING GOOP and youll be good to go.

I changed that leg 2 times on my Zoom.. it was easy and all I did was change just the broken part I see in photo.

Reactions: bzmot
All you need is the leg it comes with the antenna in it allready I found them for 11 to 20 bucks online easy fix.

as long as you are careful it would be ok to glue the leg back, as a temporary measure to get you back in the air, normally i believe a new arm comes complete with a motor and antenna installed but just make sure before you go ahead and glue it, it should not impact on airframe integrity, just make sure the arm is not damaged ,or any other part of the airframe before you fly again

I couldn't glue it together, it won't hold. I don't wanna apply tape so I just flew as is. It seemed fine. Can it somehow affect flight stability? I am asking because while to my eyes it flies just the same and the smoothness of the video feed is not affected, I recently mounted an aerial edition Insta360 One R, supposedly designed for my model, and video is very shaky unfortunately, nothing like in the few youtube videos they posted. So I am wondering whether it's the foot or the Insta360 camera...

I flew with two broke legs my wife and kids had to help me set the drone up I was in a wheelchair was a little hard to do it myself but doable....;) Just glue it for now you will be fine lol.

Reactions: old man mavic
I flew with two broke legs my wife and kids had to help me set the drone up I was in a wheelchair was a little hard to do it myself but doable....;) Just glue it for now you will be fine lol.
you had to behave as you didnt have a leg to stand on if you misbehaved

I had the stupidest crash last week with the Mav2Zoom. I didn't notice the terrace railing as I was landing. The drone was already level with my face and the snagged against the railing and fell. Now one of the landing gears legs fractured.It won't fall off I think but it moves and cables show. The LED still works as you can see. No other damage that I can tell. I will get it fixed eventually but it's not in my budget right now so in your professional opinion, can I fly like this? I always take off from my hand and hand catch for landing so that's not an issue. Flying-wise though...?View attachment 99218
I fixed 2 of them. Same exact issue... I bought the whole arm from Ebay $20.00...both were done on my Mavic 2 Zoom. They came out perfect with a little patience.... now I have the arms with the motors for spare use....

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vishal@12