DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Broken micro usb port on the mavic pro controller

hey all,

I sadly suffered the same thing... I can't believe how fragile these ports are on the remotes.... I have had MANY micro usb devices and NEVER had a port fail... Bizarre... And Why not use the bottom port for charging as well...

Here ya go...
  1. Pry up the 5 way switch. Slowly and carefully and dont scratch the screen.
  2. Use a 1.5mm hex driver to remove the 2 screws under the claws
  3. Pop the 2 pieces that you just loosened, best with a small flat head screwdriver
  4. With a plastic spudger, pry the bottom cover off, very very gently. Get it up enough to be able to pop it off with your thumbs
  5. Remove 2 silver phillips screws
  6. Pop the 2 bottom tabs up so that you can pop the display off
  7. Put some Scotch tape over the display. If you get it dirty or dusty it will be hard to get clean again
  8. Unlock the ribbon cable that connects the 5 way switch board to the main board
  9. Unscrew 6 philips screws
  10. Remove the 2 buttons for record and snap picture
  11. Remove the 5 way switch board. You will have to wiggle it from side to side to get it out. It gets stuck on the M USB connector
  12. Dont loose the clear plastic piece on the right side of the board. That covers your power switch LED.
  13. Insert the new board. Make sure the ribbon is above the board before you install it
  14. Line up the M USB port with the controller case, that has to go in first.
  15. Line the 5 way switch board up with the screw holes
  16. Screw it in.
  17. Replace the 2 record buttons
  18. Connect the ribbon, and lock it in. The lock can break easily, be gentle.
  19. Take the scotch tape off the display. Dont get any dust of dirt on it, it's like a dirt and dust magnet
  20. Line up the display cover with the top tabs and snap it in. Make sure that both sides snap in equally.
  21. Replace the 5 way switch
  22. Screw in the 2 silver phillips screws
  23. Snap in the bottom cover. Line it up with the top tabs
  24. Replace the claw covers
  25. Screw them in

Presto! 1-2 hours later your controller will be fixed. (Unless you have some screws left over :eek:)
Very nice of you to share this. Next time you get one of those boards in for replacement could you try to figure out the configuration for a USB - C upgrade? You could sell is as an upgrade.

I looked into it briefly. It wouldn't be a cut and paste job, but I'm sure someone of your talents could manage it. Thanks again.

Very nice of you to share this. Next time you get one of those boards in for replacement could you try to figure out the configuration for a USB - C upgrade? You could sell is as an upgrade.

I looked into it briefly. It wouldn't be a cut and paste job, but I'm sure someone of your talents could manage it. Thanks again.

Might be a good idea.

I love these, and found them from Thunderdrones,

I leave one of the "buttons" in the charging port of the controller at all times. Never remove it. You cannot use thes cable for backup/updates. No data lines, just the charging voltage lines.
And yes, that also means I have never updated my AC firmware from the factory box 2 yrs ago!!!!!

Reactions: Former Member
I love these, and found them from Thunderdrones,

I leave one in the charging port of the controller at all times. Never remove it.
And yes, that also means I have never updated my AC firmware from the factory box 2 yrs ago!!!!!

I like the braided cord.

I like the braided cord.

Pretty, ain't it!!! Yeah, the cable just feels a bit better than others too! Not sure what gauge/conductor count is in there tho....

The best thing about these is that they are illuminated, (pretty electric blue) for us in the dark to find, and just get it close and it snaps onto the connector and charging. And yes, for those that forget to unplug before they grab the device of choice, it "breaks away"!!

good evening everyone - i purchased the replacement board and found out that they're not all the same. This is for the dji mavic button board in the standard controller. Seems they off loaded the top right bumper button and changed the ribbon style.

Idont' suppose anyone has a lead on the variant board?

Does anyone know if the pinout on the charging board is standard? I'm not opposed to trying a different socket entirely.

Does anyone know where to find just the port itself so it can be soldered on as a replacement? **** thing has a really unique unkeyed housing that allows for mismatched cable alignment which is truly asinine.

Incredibly frustrating to spend so much money on this **** thing... i was immaculately careful for weeks with it i have no idea why it finally let go. thanks.

If your up for getting the soldering iron out, just do away with the USB port and replace it with a power port completely, just piggy back the power housing then use a 5v/1abcharger or usb to power adapter. Simple and safer.

My reply might be too late to help you. Several months after I purchased my Mavic Pro, in 20187, I had the same problem, as many forum members have had with the micro USB port on the controller getting broken or not knowing which was the "up or down." I sent my controller to DJI, hoping it would be fixed under warranty. It was not covered. I paid $88.00 to have it repaired in July of 2017. Plus shipping. At the same time on the "Forum" I followed someones advice and ordered, from Amazon, a 3 pack of Jian Han Reversible Micro USB cables. This cost me about $10.00. I have had no issues using these cables. Gave one to a friend for his Mavic Pro and kept the 3rd as a back up. (the are in 3 different lengths.)

I just read my own post. No idea how I managed to say I bought my Mavic Pro in 20187. I really purchased it about 2 1/2 years ago.

Hi there. This is the only and best answer to the controller connection issue. Have a look on eBay for this. I’ve used one for a year and it’s been great. No more plugging in and out.
Cheers

Hi there. This is the only and best answer to the controller connection issue. Have a look on eBay for this. I’ve used one for a year and it’s been great. No more plugging in and out.
Cheers

I was all in favour of using the magnetic tipped 'NetDot' USB connectors, and leaving the micro-USB tip plugged into the controller. However, after using the system and charging the RC Controller for several months that way, I started to get stick errors on start up. Removing the NetDot tip from the controller, stopped the errors. It does appear that the metal tip accumulates enough magnetic force of its own to become a magnet powerful enough to influence the Hall-Effect magnetic sensors used on the control sticks.
So - that started off as a good idea, but sadly, has had to be stopped. I now just use the light on the NetDot cable to remind me which way up the connector should be when I plug it in to charge the controller.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa