DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

BT-35E

What do they charge for this and what exactly are the inserts they send you exactly?
They are lenses in a thin metal frame that snap into the glasses between your eyes and the frames. The IPD adjustments are considered prescription inserts - even if you don't need a prescription. If you wear glasses (for distance), you can send Rochester your prescription and the same lenses will correct both the IPD and the prescription...so you don't need to wear glasses when you fly.

They are $200.

- Gary

Well is looks like you cannot or at least I cannot use the BT-35e with my DJI drones. I had a brain fart thinking I could stream video out from the bottom port on the controller. I am using the side port to run the DJI GO4 app on my phone. So I do not see how you can stream video form the drone?? So I guess the only option is to use the BT-300.

Is this correct??
The 35E's if connected to the HDMI port on the Crystalsky will work (that's if you have one).

The 35E's if connected to the HDMI port on the Crystalsky will work (that's if you have one).
You are correct. Either Crystalsky or the Smart Controller which I have, or I have both. I settled with the BT35e glasses over the BT300 because I wanted to have the monitor and not just the display in the glasses that the BT300 uses. On a side note, the sunshade from Rochester their PN BT-350/35E Flip-up Sun Shield is now available and it works great...

You are correct. Either Crystalsky or the Smart Controller which I have, or I have both. I settled with the BT35e glasses over the BT300 because I wanted to have the monitor and not just the display in the glasses that the BT300 uses. On a side note, the sunshade from Rochester their PN BT-350/35E Flip-up Sun Shield is now available and it works great...
Thank you, I have been looking at the Rochester. . . . I think I'll go for blue.

I have the 300s and I do love them. Here are the pros and cons, as I see it:

Pros (300s): The android device is the control box for the glasses, therefore you don't need another device. It supplies the power to the glasses. The software that runs in this is optimized for the glasses. It does support bluetooth connection to keyboards and mice, so you're not sidled with the touchpad (which takes some getting used to). When you're flying, you don't need more than the glasses.

Cons (300s): The hardware chipset is older and therefore will eventually become obsolete. The hardware tends to heat up and some people have reported black outs when it overheats (I haven't had that yet). You are limited to the software that's in the Moverio store (but you can side-load other applications...you're kind of on your own for that). The controller is the only android device that the glasses can be used with. If you want someone else to see what you're seeing when you're flying, you have to hook up some kind of kludgy mirroring option that usually has some kind of performance problem.

Pros (35E): You can use the glasses with any device that supports the HDMI output. That means you are "future-proofed" because you'll be able to use them with future devices. This also means that a more powerful device (that won't overheat) will be able to be used for your drone. You are not limited to the applications that have been selected. Someone else can look over your shoulder (to your cpu device) and see what you're seeing through the glasses.

Cons(35E): You'll need another device that will actually be your cpu and source of video. You'll need power for the glasses. You have an additional box to add to your rig. It was a positive too, but for privacy it's a negative: Someone else can look over your shoulder (to your cpu device) and see what you're seeing through the glasses. The price point for the 35Es doesn't really support the fact that these are the 300s without an android device - you would think the cost should be less by approximately the cost of an android phone...but they are actually priced about the same as the 300 (with an android device)...so that's a pricing decision by Epson that puts it in the "Cons" category.

Conclusions:
Since I already own the 300s, I am looking to combine the two in the future. My upgrade path is to get the 35E interface box (only) and use my 300 glasses with them - once that option is available. That will give me my future proofing. If I was buying brand new today, I think I'd go straight to the 35Es and get a crystal sky or some other device as my cpu source.
Thankyou for your informative view but I was led to believe if you connect the BT 35E's to the HDMI on the Crystalsky that would be the power source for the glasses - am I correct?

Thankyou for your informative view but I was led to believe if you connect the BT 35E's to the HDMI on the Crystalsky that would be the power source for the glasses - am I correct?

Yes, the SC is the soul power source for the BT-35e glasses - best setup in my opinion and I’ve tried them ALL.

Yes, the SC is the soul power source for the BT-35e glasses - best setup in my opinion and I’ve tried them ALL.
Yes...but you CAN plug in a power brick using the USB C or Micro connector and power the glasses from there as well...if you don't want to use up your CS battery.

I seen that also, but most of the documentation I read on these adapters claim that slot it is for charging. Will data still run back and forth to/from the ipad?

Confirmed. Although I had also hoped the lightning plug would work for data transfer, it only serves for charging. So the only way to solve it is by investing into a CS without the comfort and usability of the touch pad on the B300.

Confirmed. Although I had also hoped the lightning plug would work for data transfer, it only serves for charging. So the only way to solve it is by investing into a CS without the comfort and usability of the touch pad on the B300.

The BT 300 touchpad drove me totally crazy - it was either WAY too sensitive or not sensitive enough Depending on what you were trying to do with it.

I just use the touchscreen of the smart controller as it is considerably bigger and much easier to control. Plus it’s really nice to have two displays - one for the guy standing next to you and one for yourself and always nice to have a back up display as well.

Reactions: Xalabaster
Thankyou for your reply.

The BT 300 touchpad drove me totally crazy - it was either WAY too sensitive or not sensitive enough Depending on what you were trying to do with it.

I just use the touchscreen of the smart controller as it is considerably bigger and much easier to control. Plus it’s really nice to have two displays - one for the guy standing next to you and one for yourself and always nice to have a back up display as well.

This last comment actually made me reconsider returning the BT35e glasses as I often have interested people (kids, workers, sometimes also law enforcement) who’d like to take a glance at what can be seen from an seagull’s eye (we have lots of them here) just at the moment when I am focusing on an important shot.

CrystalSky it is... Thank you for your advice and greetings from The Netherlands!

Reactions: Welsh pilot
Hi Flynsign
I have ordered the BT-35e and intend to use them with my DJI Smart Controller. Your posts are very helpful as there is a shortage of information out there on the BT-35e's. I am a little confused as to the power supply issue. The BT-35e Start Guide shows HDMI & USB-C connections to devices but neither show any power supply connection. On the otherhand, the User guide indicates that a separate power supply is needed.

In this thread, Ken Nash asked ...if you connect the BT 35E's to the HDMI on the Crystalsky that would be the power source for the glasses - am I correct?. You appear to have confirmed that was correct. Can the HDMI socket on the DJI SC supply power? The images of your setup show that you have connected the DJI SC USB socket to the BT-35e interface box and I assume the power would be supplied in that way. .

I do like your setup and you appear to have shortened the cables, was that difficult? One final question, how did you fix the interface box to the base of the DJi SC?
Many thanks

Flyingsign - I need you help if you can Please. I have the Mavic Pro with the 7" CrystalSky, I have purchased the Moverio 35E. I am getting no signal and a flashing blue light on the interface box can you help? would be appreciated. How are you getting the power from interface box to the CrystalSky, I have connected the "C" cable from the Interface box to the CrystalSky HDMI socket or should it be "C" cable from the interface box to Micro USB on the CrystalSky?

Last edited:
Flyingsign - I need you help if you can Please. I have the Mavic Pro with the 7" CrystalSky, I have purchased the Moverio 35E. I am getting no signal and a flashing blue light on the interface box can you help? would be appreciated. How are you getting the power from interface box to the CrystalSky, I have connected the "C" cable from the Interface box to the CrystalSky HDMI socket or should it be "C" cable from the interface box to Micro USB on the CrystalSky?
Hi Ken
I have just received the Moverio BT35e but have the DJI Smart Controller but I suspect the connections are much the same as with the CrystalSky. My findings so far:
1. HDMI cable from BT35e interface to Smart Controller - no lights on interface but when I connect power supply to the interface everything works e.g. I can see the Smart Controller screen in the BT35e glasses.
2. USB-C cable from Smart Controller to BT35e interface - blue flashing light and 'No signal' can be seen in the BT35e glasses
3. Same as 3. but add USB-3 cable to interface from Smart Controller and everything works perfectly

Conclusions - HDMI cable without some other form of power supply will not work. USB-c cable without HDMI cable will not work (but power is supplied by USB-C to interface).

I suggest that you try the HDMI cable connected to the CrystalSky and the other end of it to the BT35e interface and then provide power to the interface using some form of external power i.e. the BT35e power supply or a powerbank to the Micr-B socket on the interface or if the CrystalSky is able to supply an extrnal device via USB-c, use that.

Here is the correct setup to a sure everything works correctly using the BT 35e glasses.

Attachments

• 5B79E882-95FB-4F25-981E-B61E749B5C8B.jpeg
    5B79E882-95FB-4F25-981E-B61E749B5C8B.jpeg
    447.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 552664D6-FE7E-4DCF-B488-1309EF1B5B7D.jpeg
    552664D6-FE7E-4DCF-B488-1309EF1B5B7D.jpeg
    735 KB · Views: 35
  • 0160A659-0233-4A6E-88EB-D584D27DF7DF.jpeg
    0160A659-0233-4A6E-88EB-D584D27DF7DF.jpeg
    304.6 KB · Views: 31
  • EE8A19E0-E22D-493E-8E6F-C1CB7340DC03.jpeg
    EE8A19E0-E22D-493E-8E6F-C1CB7340DC03.jpeg
    436.1 KB · Views: 32
  • 06EFF3DC-E1A3-49EE-9FB5-DCD1A34C289E.jpeg
    06EFF3DC-E1A3-49EE-9FB5-DCD1A34C289E.jpeg
    219.4 KB · Views: 31
Reactions: Harbrimar
Here is the correct setup to a sure everything works correctly using the BT 35e glasses.
Hi Flynsign, Thank you so much for going such lengths in helping me, I hope to try it later tonight. Many, many thank. Ken

Hi Flynsign, Thank you so much for going such lengths in helping me, I hope to try it later tonight. Many, many thank. Ken

Of course, that's what we do here!!
btw, It took me HOURS to find what I needed for my setup so here are the links of the 3 most important items to get your Smart Controller working with your BT-35e glasses. The earbud is required since you will have no sound from the Smart Controller once everything is connected - simply pair it with your SC via the bluetooth setting.

Last edited:
btw, It took me HOURS to find what I needed for my setup so here are the links of the 3 most important items to get your Smart Controller working with your BT-35e glasses. The earbud is required since you will have no sound from the Smart Controller once everything is connected - simply pair it with your SC via the bluetooth setting.

My thanks to Flynsign too, the photos of your setup were most useful. I quite like the earbuds or whatever they are called. Do they stay in you ear when you move around? Just one other point, I'm not sure what firmware version I have on my BT-35e and I don't see anyway of finding it out either. Has anyone upgraded their firmware?

Thanks Flynsign got the BT's working . . . . at last . . . I'm surprised that there's not a more comprehensive video on YouTube about yours and mine type set-up. A lot of videos are often more than not a bit vague to say the least like you a lot try this try that. Anyway out of interest do you prefer 2D or 3D display and what Mode setting do you prefer.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wqb3