DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

sdwingz

Reactions
Hello,

I’m a brand new drone pilot(less than 30 min fly time) with a background in photography and I’m looking to enter the drone niche. Initially, I’m thinking of getting into real estate photography and I’d like to explore mapping and surveying in the future. I had first decided to go with the Autel Evo 2 pro 6k but after some research determined that wasn’t the best thing for me and my current level. That being said, I’m 97% sure I’m going to get the air 2s. I’ve read and heard the opinions on the air 2s but now I’m not sure if I should wait for the Mavik 3 pro to come out or if I should buy now and polish my skills so I’m prepared for the launch of the 3. I’m also not sure if I should get the fly more kit since people say the drone is already overpriced or just the drone and controller. Please advise and thank you in advance for all your help.

Hello,

I’m a brand new drone pilot(less than 30 min fly time) with a background in photography and I’m looking to enter the drone niche. Initially, I’m thinking of getting into real estate photography and I’d like to explore mapping and surveying in the future. I had first decided to go with the Autel Evo 2 pro 6k but after some research determined that wasn’t the best thing for me and my current level. That being said, I’m 97% sure I’m going to get the air 2s. I’ve read and heard the opinions on the air 2s but now I’m not sure if I should wait for the Mavik 3 pro to come out or if I should buy now and polish my skills so I’m prepared for the launch of the 3. I’m also not sure if I should get the fly more kit since people say the drone is already overpriced or just the drone and controller. Please advise and thank you in advance for all your help.
I'm not an expert by any means but I say go for it, and don't wait around for the Mavic 3 or DJI 3 or whatever it might be called. Life's too short. And by all means get the Fly More Combo. (Although DJI is sticking it to customers a little on the Air 2S deal.)

Last edited:
Reactions: sdwingz
If you do not get the fly more you are just going to have an expensive drone waiting to fly while you are charging the battery for an hour or so after every half hour of flying......you also have to familiarize yourself with obtaining the TRUST certificate for starters, then your 107 cert for commercial work

Hello,

I’m not sure if I should wait for the Mavik 3 pro to come out
If the writers of the last hundred similar posts, were waiting for their imagined 3, they would have missed out on a lot of drone flying and learning.
Ignore posts that suggest there's a new model just around the corner.
They've been wrong for a long time (and most likely still are).

If you do not get the fly more you are just going to have an expensive drone waiting to fly while you are charging the battery for an hour or so after every half hour of flying...
And that was one of the biggest reasons I passed on the DJI FPV. One battery which gets maybe 15 minutes at best as part of a $1300 kit? Nope. They could've thrown in a carrying case and one more battery.

Reactions: sdwingz
If you do not get the fly more you are just going to have an expensive drone waiting to fly while you are charging the battery for an hour or so after every half hour of flying......you also have to familiarize yourself with obtaining the TRUST certificate for starters, then your 107 cert for commercial work
I appreciate the feedback!

If the writers of the last hundred similar posts, were waiting for their imagined 3, they would have missed out on a lot of drone flying and learning.
Ignore posts that suggest there's a new model just around the corner.
They've been wrong for a long time (and most likely still are).

Hello,

I’m a brand new drone pilot(less than 30 min fly time) with a background in photography and I’m looking to enter the drone niche. Initially, I’m thinking of getting into real estate photography...
Welcome aboard. You are going to really enjoy the Air 2S. I started flying late 2018 with a Phantom 4 standard as a starter drone and that was a cakewalk. The Air 2S is even easier, albeit a bit snappier. We've had five drones in our little fleet for business and the Air 2S is our favorite. It's fairly small, has a good camera with 1" sensor, is pretty quiet (compared to all of our other drones) and sets up very quickly. Like you, when I started out, I went into real estate photography and videography. The Air 2S is great for that. As was mentioned in here, get your TRUST cert asap and then your Part 107 so you can legally fly for your jobs. Any questions, feel free to IM/PM me anytime... Whatever you decide to do or drone to purchase, have fun with it.

The pundits have been saying the Mavic 3 is on the horizon for over a year now and nothing has come of it so I'd say there's no good reason to wait. Dollar for dollar the MA2 is a better value compared to the MA2s when you look at the Fly More Combo but the truth is that you get the better drone in the MA2s. If I didn't already have the Air2 it would be a no brainer to get the Air2s over it because of the picture/ video quality and the range. You're going to need a bag of some sort, extra batteries so you're flying for more than 30 minutes every 3 hours and will likely want ND filters to improve your camera functionality so if you already KNOW what you want specifically you might save money ala cart but if you're just starting out from scratch the FMC saves you time and money.

I pulled the trigger yesterday and got the combo version. I was not going to miss the summer waiting on a model that may or not appear. With all the talk of a chip shortage, the wait and expense didn't justify waiting any longer. The 5K video, 1-inch sensor, and 10-bit d-log made this the choice for me without needing to hope for something that might not appear for quite some time.

Good for you @AlgebraMan ..do you have it in hand, or waiting for delivery?....I have Mini2 that I am happy with, but typically fly with another forum member who has the Macic Pro and Air2S....both are more imressive that the Mini2...but I can watch as he flies and to me it seems that the 2S maneuvers through the air a lot more smoothly and faster...we have flown at a bayfront site and he can catch up with boats that are moving pretty fast and it is something to watch as it moves in graceful curving turns in the air...it is a lot easier to see than my Mini2 also..have fun with it

Reactions: AlgebraMan
Good for you @AlgebraMan ..do you have it in hand, or waiting for delivery?....I have Mini2 that I am happy with, but typically fly with another forum member who has the Macic Pro and Air2S....both are more imressive that the Mini2...but I can watch as he flies and to me it seems that the 2S maneuvers through the air a lot more smoothly and faster...we have flown at a bayfront site and he can catch up with boats that are moving pretty fast and it is something to watch as it moves in graceful curving turns in the air...it is a lot easier to see than my Mini2 also..have fun with it
1-hour pick up from Bestbuy and then the two-year DJI refresh before I opened the box. The Mini 2 is great for casual use but I am getting the 107 to step up my game. Enjoy the Mini 2 don't upgrade until you have a real need. I want night photography, so I will be using this right away.

I,ve been flying a pro for several and get set in my ways ,so to speak but i heard reviews about the air 2,s and sounds like the way to go to me or the mini 2

If you wait for "new technology'...you will be waiting forever. There will always be something new. If the current product (whatever it is) meets your needs and/or is a good value (and I think the Air 2 series is a very good value), then why wait?

Reactions: MARK (LI)
I'm not an expert by any means but I say go for it, and don't wait around for the Mavic 3 or DJI 3 or whatever it might be called. Life's too short. And by all means get the Fly More Combo. (Although DJI is sticking it to customers a little on the Air 2S deal.)
I don't think the Pro 3 is coming anytime soon.. DJI seems concentrated on Mini's and cheaper drones at this time. No pro 3 or Phantom in years!!!

I have a Air 2s and have been in photography for about 45 years. The Air 2s is a really great drone and cost less than the pro. I am very satisfied with the camera and build quality. In addition I recommend the smart controller. I know it’s another $800 but it’s worth not tying up your phone and having to deal with a screen you can’t see in sunlight.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
derekleeth