DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Buying advice needed plz

maka1870

Reactions
Hi
I am new to drones but want to buy a decent one and have a few questions please if someone can help
I can get a mavic pro platinum with fly more pack (£750) or a mavic air drone and controller for (£550) I would prefer a smaller drone so I was thinking the air, but am put off by the noise it makes, or is there a better option out there. I also like the look of the yuncee mantis g. costs around (£650) with 1 spare battery.?
I live in Newcastle UK does anyone know how far I could fly the Dji drones I hear DJI are very strict with regulations etc?

thanks

Andrew

Hi Andrew - Welcome to the Forum.
I've flown a Mavic Pro Platinum for a few years now and can vouch that it is a great piece of kit. I have equipped it with Master Airscrew 'Stealth' prop's (available from Amazon), and it's very quiet - mainly due to the lower frequency noise produced. The Mavic Air has smaller diameter prop's that spin at a faster rpm, and therefore the Air has more of a 'buzz' to it. If noise is a big thing for you, then you'll have a 'quieter' UAV with the Pro Platinum. Just a note also - It's not DJI that are setting the rules for use of the Drone, it's the UK Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) ... Have a look at this page and download the .pdf Dronecode page to see the rules that you are required to stick to when flying:
These drones are over 250 grams, so you will also need to go through the CAA Registration process to register as an Operator and a Flyer.

MavPro_MA.jpg

Last edited:
thanks what do you think of the mavic mini? you think I should consider that one its quite bit cheaper, I know its slower and less range, my choices now is between the mini or mavic pro platinum . the mini is 300 cheaper.
thanks

You really just have to compare the two aircraft side by side and ask yourself if the additional expense of the MPP is worth it to you. You’ll be paying for more flight time, a better camera, and increased range with a more robust connection link for both control and video. As much as the MP1 and MPP have come down in price I personally think they represent the best value vs. capability for the hobby drone pilot out there right now.

Oh and welcome to the website! There’s all kinds of useful information here and quite a few very experienced drone pilots that frequent this site. If you’re not able to find the information you desire using the search function then there’s usually someone more than willing to help you out if you ask.

One thing that’s certain no matter which aircraft you choose you will find that a hobby in r/c aviation is addictive and with the many facets never boring! I wish you the best of luck in exploring this great hobby!

thanks guys for making my mind up, going for pro, think it will hold its value better and its really quiet, was just worried about crashing it would rather lose 450 mini instead of 750 pro if you no what mean.
can you guys tell me what camera hood you use was wanting it for abit protection.

Reactions: Capt KO and Paulf10
thanks guys for making my mind up, going for pro, think it will hold its value better and its really quiet, was just worried about crashing it would rather lose 450 mini instead of 750 pro if you no what mean.
can you guys tell me what camera hood you use was wanting it for abit protection.
There have been reports of Mav' Mini's having problems with wind, and people losing, or almost losing them due to the MM not being very good doing a 'Return to Home' in a headwind. I think you'll have a more reliable and stable platform in the Mav' Pro Platinum, and it will give you years of fun and good quality photo's and videos. Just use the Forum if you need more advice ... Fly safe and have fun.

Hi
I am new to drones but want to buy a decent one and have a few questions please if someone can help
I can get a mavic pro platinum with fly more pack (£750) or a mavic air drone and controller for (£550) I would prefer a smaller drone so I was thinking the air, but am put off by the noise it makes, or is there a better option out there. I also like the look of the yuncee mantis g. costs around (£650) with 1 spare battery.?
I live in Newcastle UK does anyone know how far I could fly the Dji drones I hear DJI are very strict with regulations etc?

thanks

Andrew
Additionally, DJI have no say how far you fly your drone. That’s legally restricted by the UK Civil Aviation Authority which allows a distance of 500m or Visual Line of sight whichever is less.

That means if you fly out to 300m and you cannot see and orientate your drone by sight (not your screen) then you have flown too far and are breaking the law. If you can see it out to 500m then that’s fine.

welcome to the forum i have both the MM and a MPP, it is not fair to compare them to each other,they represent two different approaches to the hobby of drone flying, as @FoxhallGH has said the MPP combo is at an alltime low price right now and represents very good value for what you get, and after over a year flying mine i have had no issues whatsoever of course you have to look after the batteries, and check the airframe and props for any damage, but that applies to any drone if you want a successful flight beware though it is addictive and you will know doubt be adding accessories as you go along happy flying

Ocusync on the the Pro Platinum is much better system than wi-fi on the Air or Mini

Reactions: Capt KO and Paulf10

The sunshade type ?
It could offer a little protection in limited circumstances.
Generally the shock of a serious crash is going to damage a gimbal or other part in some way, almost as much as a direct hit might.

Having had the M1P for a few years, I agree it is pretty rock solid, the occusync is fantastic.
I use the 8331 MPP props on mine and it's quiet as.

I do like the mini in some ways, but it's still teething I feel, and you are just a little more limited in flying fairly close, and watching wind and obstacle factors.

You'll get the 3 batteries with the flymore package, so really are going to get a lot more flight available for trips out.

All these drones have their pros and cons, possibly the M1P / MPP Achilles heel is the gimbal.
Always have the clamp fitted for transport, and remove before powering the drone up, or changing ND filters.

Reactions: maka1870
Hi Andrew, I know you're probably aware of of this, but just be careful around Newcastle airport. The restrictions cover quite a lot of area.

As for range, everywhere in the UK you have to stay within visual range. This is obviously going to vary depending on the size of the drone and how good your eyesight is. It's very easy to lose track of my Mavic Mini, even when its quite close. Being coloured beige/grey doesn't really help much, especially with the usual grey UK sky. I'm currently looking into a brightly coloured skin and maybe a strobe to help with this.

Make sure you get the your Flyer ID and Operator ID sorted. I went through the process even though the Mini is just under 250g. I figure it's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

Attachments

• Newcastle Airport.jpg
    Newcastle Airport.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: old man mavic
everywhere in the UK you have to stay within visual range. This is obviously going to vary depending on the size of the drone and how good your eyesight is

But with a definite 500m limit in distance, and 120m altitude ?

Anyone know how these 2 limits in the UK work ?
Is it one or the other, ie low and out to 500m clear LOS, or up to 120m and not far out laterally ?
Or is it feasible you could get away with 120m up AND 500m away (?), which working on trigonometry would be approx 515m from the pilot.

Not much in it really, so probable you can fly to both extremes.

Of course, if a pilot had eyesight that couldn't find the drone at lesser distance, that would be his (or her) VLOS.

the easiest thing to do here in the UK is just set your maximum distance to 500m and that way you cant go any further and the added bonus if your RC was checked if you were accused of flying any further its there for all to see same with the max height my max VLOS is around 1000 to 1200 ft on a clear day thats with a bright orange skin and lights on the arms

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Do we actually have a 500m horizontal limit in the UK? I’ve only recently done my Flyer and Operator ID test and couldn’t remember it from that, and I’ve just checked through the UK drone code and couldn’t see it listed in there either. The only thing I can see (other than distances from people/buildings/crowds) is VLOS.

Have you given any consideration to the Parrot Anafi? It was one of my first *real* drones and it's still one of my frequent go-to drones. It is very portable and much, much quieter than its DJI counterparts. Decent battery life and price point. You can control it with or without a full RC (unlike the Mini). Great camera and loads of features. I think it's still the only drone that allows you to point the camera 90 degrees straight up. At the time I got mine the in app purchase for "Follow Me" was less than a dollar.

The waypoint in-app purchase (also $0.99) called Flight Plan blows away any other software in that space. Very easy to use and super powerful.

It is definitely worth a look.

Do we actually have a 500m horizontal limit in the UK? I’ve only recently done my Flyer and Operator ID test and couldn’t remember it from that, and I’ve just checked through the UK drone code and couldn’t see it listed in there either. The only thing I can see (other than distances from people/buildings/crowds) is VLOS.

so you can only go 500m away from you?, if you can see 900meters surely you can go that far? , how does all the videos on you tube show people going way further in the uk ?

Does DJI check up on you through the app? to see how far your going? don't like the idea of people watching me,

Of course there is no way to know for sure what DJI is tracking or not, but I don't think you'll ever receive a notification or your drone won't be grounded by going outside of a certain distance unless you have set a geofence to limit yourself.

Reactions: maka1870
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SlayTech