DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Buying advice needed plz

I second Scottalmas regarding the Parrot Anafi. I have an Anafi and Mavic Pro. I like both but the Anafi is much quieter, smaller/lighter, Free Flight 6 is a easier app to use (in my opinion), there are no corporately imposed no fly zones to unlock and I rarely have to do any type of calibration (compass calibration before every fly on my MP). Where the MP stands out is Ocusync. I live in a high wifi interference area and the Anafi is limited to about 200 meters. The MP can go out as far as my eyes and see with solid video fed and control.

Reactions: maka1870
Of course there is no way to know for sure what DJI is tracking or not, but I don't think you'll ever receive a notification or your drone won't be grounded by going outside of a certain distance unless you have set a geofence to limit yourself.

I am new to drones just got my mpp delivered today, I understand the Hight restriction , but if I am on my private land I should be allowed to fly more than 500meters if I can see the drone, I am going to stick to the height restriction. i cannot see the point in dji advertising the distance of drones and how far they can fly if you can only go 500 meters its crazy, eg from there uk website ( an all-new transmission system with a 4.3mi (7km) *range)

I second Scottalmas regarding the Parrot Anafi. I have an Anafi and Mavic Pro. I like both but the Anafi is much quieter, smaller/lighter, Free Flight 6 is a easier app to use (in my opinion), there are no corporately imposed no fly zones to unlock and I rarely have to do any type of calibration (compass calibration before every fly on my MP). Where the MP stands out is Ocusync. I live in a high wifi interference area and the Anafi is limited to about 200 meters. The MP can go out as far as my eyes and see with solid video fed and control.

I bought the mavic pro platinum got it for a good price I did look at the Anafi, but didn't like the design.

I bought the mavic pro platinum got it for a good price I did look at the Anafi, but didn't like the design.

Hi maka1870, you've already made the purchase so I'm not trying to talk you into or out of anything but what specifically didn't you like about the design of the Anafi?

Reactions: maka1870
Hi maka1870, you've already made the purchase so I'm not trying to talk you into or out of anything but what specifically didn't you like about the design of the Anafi?

didn't like the shape of it looked cheap to me, thought the mavic look better value and looked more for your money , I watched some reviews mostly were positive liked the fact it was nearly silent, just preferred the design of mavic, maybe I made a mistake will find out on Wednesday when I fly it for first time.:)

Here's the good news: They are all fun and any one of them is a very solid choice. Enjoy and fly safely.

As I understand it, the 2018 (UK) regulations stated a 500m horizontal distance. This appears to have been deleted in the current regulations which state:

2. Always keep your drone or model aircraft in direct sight and make sure you have a full view of the surrounding airspace
This is the best way to be sure of spotting any nearby hazards in the air or on the ground and avoiding collisions.
You must be able to see your drone or model aircraft without using:

• binoculars
  • a telephoto lens
  • electronic viewing equipment, such as a smart phone, tablet or video goggles
Normal glasses and contact lenses are fine.

Whilst it is generally accepted that 500m horizontally and 120m (400feet) vertically is the 'sensible' cut off point, it is not I believe stated any longer in law.

*Text in red is my edit, originally stated 400m in error

Last edited:
Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
if I am on my private land I should be allowed to fly more than 500meters if I can see the drone

Keep in mind that DJI don't only sell drones in the UK. They sell them worldwide and not everywhere has the same regulation as we do, that's why they advertise the max range. And don't fall into the trap of thinking you can do what you like on private property. Your drone will be in the air, and you don't own the airspace over your land. CAA regulations apply everywhere.

Although, as stated it looks like the 500 metre limit didn't make it into the drone code. It certainly wasn't in there when I did my registration 2 weeks ago.

it was as stated in the old regs, and has been replaced with VLOS but even then you will hard pressed to see a mavic at 500m dont forget it is not that large and at 350m it is starting to get difficult to see, the biggest problem is when you have looked down at the screen and then,looked back to where you thought it was and you cant find it .
the MM is even harder to spot at any distance, and blends into the sky at 500ft never mind 500m

Reactions: Alan_M
didn't like the shape of it looked cheap to me, thought the mavic look better value and looked more for your money , I watched some reviews mostly were positive liked the fact it was nearly silent, just preferred the design of mavic, maybe I made a mistake will find out on Wednesday when I fly it for first time.:)

They are both good drones and I think you'll be happy with the Mavic. The Anafi is light weight due to the construction technique used to make the body of the drone. I think we tend to associate light weight with cheap. Appearance wise the Mavic does appear to be more robust but the light weight and flexibility of the Anafi might help to minimize damage during a crash.

One other positive with the Anafi is the issue of the props entering the frame while taking video if you're flying forward at speed or against a strong wind. It a matter of the way the Mavic is design and you can probably limit tilt or gimbal angle so that it doesn't happen. The Anafi props are set in a place where they never enter the frame.

Reactions: old man mavic
Indeed apologies for my misinformation . . . the new code only says "Always keep your drone or model aircraft in direct sight."

I feel this is a sensible rule in general, though open to interpretation with use of strobes etc.

What strikes me in that pdf is the 50m from buildings, vehicles etc, and 150m in built up areas like towns and cities, with no safe height above buildings.
This eliminates almost any urban flights bar parklands etc (where local councils allow it).

Reactions: old man mavic
Indeed apologies for my misinformation . . . the new code only says "Always keep your drone or model aircraft in direct sight."

I feel this is a sensible rule in general, though open to interpretation with use of strobes etc.

What strikes me in that pdf is the 50m from buildings, vehicles etc, and 150m in built up areas like towns and cities, with no safe height above buildings.
This eliminates almost any urban flights bar parklands etc (where local councils allow it).
if you look at the pic it says never fly closer than 50m from people ,and in the next graphic never fly closer than 50m to buildings cars ,trains ,or boats ,so it means you have a 150ft exclusion zone in all directions so really if i am flying at 160ft AGL then i am never going to be nearer than the 50m exclusion zone as i fly over them, with the 150m rule you are correct it would not be possible to fly high enough over crowds or buildings to comply with the rules, as the max height is 120m AGL, but as long as you are no closer than 150m from those areas you could fly at 50m high legally

if you look at the pic it says never fly closer than 50m from people ,and in the next graphic never fly closer than 50m to buildings cars ,trains ,or boats

This is one area a little different to our rules here.
We have 30m from people rule, but that is laterally, so technically flying over people is automatically ruled out. At any height.
We aren't so specific with buildings, vehicles, etc, just not supposed to fly to cause danger to people or property.
We have a no flight rule over populous areas, which are busy precincts, functions like concerts etc, but really the people rule covers that anyway.

Ah, wouldn't it be nice to have a 'fly with common sense' rule to cover it all.

This is one area a little different to our rules here.
We have 30m from people rule, but that is laterally, so technically flying over people is automatically ruled out. At any height.
We aren't so specific with buildings, vehicles, etc, just not supposed to fly to cause danger to people or property.
We have a no flight rule over populous areas, which are busy precincts, functions like concerts etc, but really the people rule covers that anyway.

Ah, wouldn't it be nice to have a 'fly with common sense' rule to cover it all.
you are right but law makers dont seem to have any common sense, and because of all those drone flyers ,who dont have any either,we are now all suffering,

Reactions: Alan_M

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seaphotos