DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Buying Mavic 2 with pending UK laws?

Warsash Wasp

Reactions
So have just sold my Mavic Pro & was planning to upgrade immediately to the Mavic 2 zoom.

However with the new UK laws about to be introduced I am in 2 minds ….. I don't want to pre-plan every flight & don't want to pay for the privilege, I don't want to be restricted to flying in 1 spot miles from no where?

Anyone in the same boat? Any advise?

Anyone in the same boat? Any advise?

We're all in the same boat my friend. The laws we have here are pretty restrictive, but they are not quite as bad as you fear. Or at least not yet :/ Yes, we have to look a lot harder these days, but you can usually always find somewhere to legally fly on any day you spend a bit of time on Google maps looking. Registration is not due until November next year, but I'd advise you to do it when it happens, because you'd risk confiscation, massive fines, or even prison if you were caught flying unregistered.

What is more depressing (for me at least) is the attitude of people like the National Trust and English Heritage, who are prejudiced against drones, and (IMO) unfairly try and prevent any sort of UAV flight at nearly all the most attractive areas of the UK - for me that is far more of an issue than the actual law.

But places can be found. Look for public land, commons, parks, public footpaths near fields or forests and it is usually still quite easy to find places that are 150m away from built-up areas. But watch out for nature reserves and certain stretches of beachfront where the 'no drones' signs have already started going up...

I think it is important to have a 'home ground', where you can pretty much always fly, and is nice and local. I wrote to my town council and applied for permission to fly on the local heath / lake, which was granted for pretty much the whole area except one bit where the public mostly are, which seemed fair enough.

CAN YOU OUTLINE THE NEW UK LAWS?

Yes. The latest drone law for the UK is here.

Last edited:
What drastic new laws?

The drone code is fairly sensible and flexible. UK is a lot more open to drone flying than lots of places and theres nothing in the pipeline that changes any of that.

Reactions: colinfowler
What drastic new laws?

The drone code is fairly sensible and flexible. UK is a lot more open to drone flying than lots of places and theres nothing in the pipeline that changes any of that.
The proposed pre-planning of any flights fills me with dread. No just getting up & deciding to go somewhere on the spur of the moment... And having to pay for it aswell

That fills me with dread & wonder if its worth the effort?!

Its too hard to file a plan in Drone Assist before flying? An app you're already in to check NOTAMs and so on?
Takes 20 seconds.

I think you are referring to FINS, a Flight Information Notification System, which is being considered. It may involve giving 5 days prior notification of proposed flights. Search the DfT website.

Exactly.... 5 days planning !! And to pay for it aswell

Takes ALL the enjoyment out of my hobby!

5 days wont happen. There is absolutely zero chance of that getting passes.

Whats more likely is we'll get stuck with the EASA rules when they come in 2019/2020 instead.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman