DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bye-bye tablet.

KennyJr

Reactions
While I was out flying Nvidia Shield K1 died. I heard a popping sound and lost connection with the Mavic. One of the advantages of flying within VLOS I was easily able to bring it back home, though I could have used RTH. Once I landed I took a good look at the tablet. The popping sound was the front of the tablet separating from the back of the tablet because the battery swelled.

Looks like I'm going to be buying a new tablet this weekend. After going through the various threads here and recommendations on other sites it's looking like I may be going with the Ipad Mini. As much as I dislike Apple products it seems to be the tablet with the fewest issues with DJI Go and Litchi. I guess it also means I'll have to purchase Litchi again as I bought it for Android.

BTW my beef with Apple has nothing to do with the devices themselves, just the lack of competition. With Windows and Android you have a wide variety of manufacturers to choose from which serves to keep prices down.

I just purchased an iPad mini. Like you, I have never purchased Apple products. In my case, I absolutely marvel at their hardware, but the software that drives these things is incredibly poor. As one example (and this is from someone who spent his whole career in computer software) iTunes is perhaps the worst conceived popular program in the history of computers. I can't tell you how many times, with my wife's Apple products, that iTunes has managed to delete every single photo or music file ("sync" is evil).

Despite that mini-rant, I think you will find that the iPad mini is a near-ideal controller, and that its processor gives you better video and an overall better experience than what you had before.

I'll be interested in what you report, once you've got it up and running and have used it for a few flights.

I have both the NVidia Shield K1 tablet and an Ipad Mini 2 Cellular.

I use each of them with my Mavic. Depends on what I am doing with the Mavic. If I want to use my goggles with an HDMI connection I go with the Nvidia Shield. If I am going to do something that requires long battery life and want a little less weight to my controller tablet setup I go with the Ipad.

Its the best of both worlds.

Ipad mini has been flawless as a dedicated device.

well I found out today when your cach is full on the mini 4 theres noway to clear the cach without deleting the app and reinstalling . thats the stupidest thing I ever saw, so easy on android.

Reactions: GlenM
well I found out today when your cach is full on the mini 4 theres noway to clear the cach without deleting the app and reinstalling . thats the stupidest thing I ever saw, so easy on android.

Other than it being a pain, is there any downside to reinstalling Go4?

While I was out flying Nvidia Shield K1 died. I heard a popping sound and lost connection with the Mavic. One of the advantages of flying within VLOS I was easily able to bring it back home, though I could have used RTH. Once I landed I took a good look at the tablet. The popping sound was the front of the tablet separating from the back of the tablet because the battery swelled.

Looks like I'm going to be buying a new tablet this weekend. After going through the various threads here and recommendations on other sites it's looking like I may be going with the Ipad Mini. As much as I dislike Apple products it seems to be the tablet with the fewest issues with DJI Go and Litchi. I guess it also means I'll have to purchase Litchi again as I bought it for Android.

BTW my beef with Apple has nothing to do with the devices themselves, just the lack of competition. With Windows and Android you have a wide variety of manufacturers to choose from which serves to keep prices down.

When looking at Apple, see what’s available in “refurbished “. I’ve bought a couple and they are warranted and work fine. I now am using a mini 5.

Reactions: tmgrood
I'll be interested in what you report, once you've got it up and running and have used it for a few flights.

It looks like I may be waiting a while. My wife informed me the freezer quit. Just had to buy a new one or loose several hundred dollars of meat, fish, etc. I may get it anyway using the BB credit card and 12 month same as cash.

Sure, the new version may have a glitch that the old version did not. A newer version may also require more processing power (due to new features) so an older tablet may not work properly.

yea it a PITA and the last time I did that on my phone I had all kinda of problem with it not working right, ended up having to do a factory reset and all the BS that involves. if android can make clearing the cach easy why can't the much bragged about apple do it .

it's looking like I may be going with the Ipad Mini. As much as I dislike Apple products it seems to be the tablet with the fewest issues with DJI Go and Litchi. I guess it also means I'll have to purchase Litchi again as I bought it for Android.
While the iPad mini 4 is a good tablet, don't be fooled into thinking it's the only way to go.
There are plenty of equally good Android tablets as well (and they don't have the annoying overheating problems in hot weather that Apple does).

You can get a 9.7” iPad 6th gen from Walmart for $250.

It’s hard to beat that.

Reactions: TerKelDing
When looking at Apple, see what’s available in “refurbished “. I’ve bought a couple and they are warranted and work fine. I now am using a mini 5.
How is the glare on the Mini 5? The store claims they have a new anti-glare, anti-fingerprint coating and it's also brighter. Is it noticeably better, worth upgrading from the 4?

How is the glare on the Mini 5? The store claims they have a new anti-glare, anti-fingerprint coating and it's also brighter. Is it noticeably better, worth upgrading from the 4?
I've had mine for a few days. Fingerprints are definitely an issue. I am just finishing my custom mount to attach it to my M2 controller, so I can't yet comment on whether the glare is better or worse than my wife's iPhone 6 Plus.

CrystalSky...

Reactions: zzxrox and Bobvt
Moi non plus je ne suis pas fan d'Apple Mais j'ai PRIS un mini - ipad 4:
1 pour une meilleure luminosité.
2 la possibilité d'utiliser le programme Liste de contrôle qui n'existe pas sur Android
programme is vraiment génial verser sans testeur TOUT RIEN conditions de vent JUSQU'AU oublier Ou de Magnétisme en passant par tous les paramêtres du matèriel de.
voilà mon choix

Moi non plus je ne suis pas fan d'Apple Mais j'ai PRIS un mini - ipad 4:
1 pour une meilleure luminosité.
2 la possibilité d'utiliser le programme Liste de contrôle qui n'existe pas sur Android
programme is vraiment génial verser sans testeur TOUT RIEN conditions de vent JUSQU'AU oublier Ou de Magnétisme en passant par tous les paramêtres du matèriel de.
voilà mon choix
Ditto?

Before I traded in my mini 4, I was able to fly with both the 4 and 5 to compare results. I think the differences between the Mini 4 and the Mini 5 are NOT that great. Ok, maybe a little brighter, and maybe the processor is a little faster. But after the upgrade, I could have stayed with the mini 4 and be OK. I suppose one advantage is the mini 5 will play 4K videos, which might be handy when I'm out in the field away from home (I shoot in only 4k).

Even with the mini 5, you will find me seeking a shaded spot to improve the clarity of the screen. And I will wipe the mini 5 fingerprints off once and a while. Neither is perfect. The mini's will never out-do the Crystal Skies and other super dooper controllers from DJI, but I like my setup and it's good enough. And the hope is that I will be able to use the iPad mini when I upgrade to a new quad next year. And if not, I can give it to the grandkids. Here's my setup...

IMG_7098.JPGIMG_7097.JPG

Reactions: Sitka78
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
memotec