DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bye-bye tablet.

While I was out flying Nvidia Shield K1 died. I heard a popping sound and lost connection with the Mavic. One of the advantages of flying within VLOS I was easily able to bring it back home, though I could have used RTH. Once I landed I took a good look at the tablet. The popping sound was the front of the tablet separating from the back of the tablet because the battery swelled.

Looks like I'm going to be buying a new tablet this weekend. After going through the various threads here and recommendations on other sites it's looking like I may be going with the Ipad Mini. As much as I dislike Apple products it seems to be the tablet with the fewest issues with DJI Go and Litchi. I guess it also means I'll have to purchase Litchi again as I bought it for Android.

BTW my beef with Apple has nothing to do with the devices themselves, just the lack of competition. With Windows and Android you have a wide variety of manufacturers to choose from which serves to keep prices down.
I had a similar experience with my K1. I contacted nivida they told me to send pictures of the swollen K1 which I did and they sent me a refurbished K1 which works great!

While I was out flying Nvidia Shield K1 died. I heard a popping sound and lost connection with the Mavic. One of the advantages of flying within VLOS I was easily able to bring it back home, though I could have used RTH. Once I landed I took a good look at the tablet. The popping sound was the front of the tablet separating from the back of the tablet because the battery swelled.

Looks like I'm going to be buying a new tablet this weekend. After going through the various threads here and recommendations on other sites it's looking like I may be going with the Ipad Mini. As much as I dislike Apple products it seems to be the tablet with the fewest issues with DJI Go and Litchi. I guess it also means I'll have to purchase Litchi again as I bought it for Android.

BTW my beef with Apple has nothing to do with the devices themselves, just the lack of competition. With Windows and Android you have a wide variety of manufacturers to choose from which serves to keep prices down.

For as much as they hold the K1 very dear (in price as discontinued), I would look into seeing if you can pop open the case in swap in a new battery for it. Maybe 30/40 bucks.
Not much to lose, and you'll find a vid on how to do it on "The Tube"....

Before I traded in my mini 4, I was able to fly with both the 4 and 5 to compare results. I think the differences between the Mini 4 and the Mini 5 are NOT that great. Ok, maybe a little brighter, and maybe the processor is a little faster. But after the upgrade, I could have stayed with the mini 4 and be OK. I suppose one advantage is the mini 5 will play 4K videos, which might be handy when I'm out in the field away from home (I shoot in only 4k).

Even with the mini 5, you will find me seeking a shaded spot to improve the clarity of the screen. And I will wipe the mini 5 fingerprints off once and a while. Neither is perfect. The mini's will never out-do the Crystal Skies and other super dooper controllers from DJI, but I like my setup and it's good enough. And the hope is that I will be able to use the iPad mini when I upgrade to a new quad next year. And if not, I can give it to the grandkids. Here's my setup...

View attachment 73927View attachment 73928
What brand of hood do you have, and where can it be purchased?

You can hunt for a used setup. I have one and I haven't gone back to a tablet. No more looking up-down at the bird/tablet. And you get to keep situational awareness going...

Reactions: charliesRig
I use a iPad mini and have had zero issues. Also picked up a used iPad pro 12.9" (mount to a tripod/mic stand rig or set on table) - for my aging eyes the large screen is really good.

When looking at Apple, see what’s available in “refurbished “. I’ve bought a couple and they are warranted and work fine. I now am using a mini 5.

I've been flying for over a year with a $10 Nexus(HTC made plus it has GPS) without a single problem. The one problem which seems to kill androids is the lack of a quality connection cable. I went through a few before finding the Anker Pro cable solved the problem of app crashing.

Attachments

• Screen shot of the Nexus 9-DJI.jpg
    Screen shot of the Nexus 9-DJI.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 44
  • Hot Screen.JPG
    Hot Screen.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
late to the game, is there a reason we don't look to the amazon tablets? processor? i have a few of those laying around. but now i am interested in the new apple ipod as someone mentioned earlier....

I've been flying for over a year with a $10 Nexus(HTC made) without a single problem. The one problem which seems to kill androids is the lack of a quality connection cable. I went through a few before finding the Anker Pro cable solved the problem of app crashing.

Yeah, the Anker cable is a key component no matter which tablet is used.

Reactions: Dr. Bill 1969
late to the game, is there a reason we don't look to the amazon tablets? processor? i have a few of those laying around. but now i am interested in the new apple ipod as someone mentioned earlier....

If you mean the Fire Tablets they dont allow one to natively load DJIGO4 from the Google Play Store. It has to be "side-loaded". Plus they are notoriously underpowered.

Has anyone tried using the Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e with the Mavic? Any problem running Go 4 or Litchi on this tablet?

I have an iPad Mini 3 and it overheats more than a Malamute in the Mojave.

My feed is glitchy and choppy and it's useless to me and my Mavics, though it did fine with my P3P.

If there's a fix or workaround, I'd love to hear it.

I have an iPad Mini 3 and it overheats more than a Malamute in the Mojave.

My feed is glitchy and choppy and it's useless to me and my Mavics, though it did fine with my P3P.

If there's a fix or workaround, I'd love to hear it.

The iPad Mini 5 is supposed to use less power so hopefully means less overheating as well as a faster CPU. It also has the advantage of fitting into the phone holder on the controller.

The Galaxy Tab S5e has a larger screen, will fit into the tablet holder, and has a USB-C connector which means I don't have to buy new cables. It also runs Android which means I don't have to buy Litchi (or any of my other apps) again. If it is like my previous tablets it appears as another drive when plugged into my PC. From my reading it appears you need to use iTunes to move files to and from the iPad.

Both tablets have 64Gb of storage and cost about the same. At the moment I can use my phone to fly so I'm in no hurry. I am looking for a tablet I can buy locally as I have had packages stolen from my porch (even with the cameras I have around the outside of the house).

Reactions: Clipper707
I went through a bunch of different monitor solutions and had issues with all of them: phones, tablets, etc. Fortunately, it cost me very little as I experimented with friends' devices, and I finally pulled the plug and got a Crystalsky. Dedicated to one purpose, interchangeable between drones, and the screen clarity in any light is unbelievable. Yeah, a little pricey, but absolutely no problems.

KennyJr, sorry I'm so late to the game, here, but I have not been getting my email notices for new messages in this forum.

I just wanted to mention that I bought Litchi ONCE for my iPad, and since then, I've been able to install it for free on all my other phones (A Google Pixel 2, a Samsung S6 edge, and a Samsung S8. I only had to pay the one time. They seem to let you install it on multiple platforms for the one price.

Try the Amazon Fire HD 8" Tablet - works great with the Mavic Air, plus it's very cheap - £80 from PC World. You need to download 4 APK's (search which) onto your PC then transfer them onto the Amazon Tablets SD Card and install. This enables Google Play Store, and download DJI GO 4, if you also download 'Nova Launcher' and get rid of/disable all the Amazon apps etc it will even look like a normal Android Tablet.

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NIKLM