DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Cable for Air 2 doesn't work with phone case

BuffsDrone

Reactions
The lightning connector on the cable for the Air 2 is not long enough to connect to my phone through the case. Not sure if anyone else is experiencing this. Frustrating. Same thing happened with my Mini. I need to buy a replacement cable where the connector is a bit deeper, similar to the one I bought for my mini (pic). Not sure why Mavic provides such a shallow cable!

I searched Amazon for over an hour yesterday, and had no luck. Can anyone offer suggestions?

I think the connection the Air 2 uses is a USB-C, unlike the Micro USB for the Mini, and it would have to be on a right angle

TIA

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-10 at 9.08.38 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-10 at 9.08.38 AM.png
    79.6 KB · Views: 16
The lightning connector on the cable for the Air 2 is not long enough to connect to my phone through the case. Not sure if anyone else is experiencing this. Frustrating. Same thing happened with my Mini. I need to buy a replacement cable where the connector is a bit deeper, similar to the one I bought for my mini (pic). Not sure why Mavic provides such a shallow cable!

I searched Amazon for over an hour yesterday, and had no luck. Can anyone offer suggestions?

I think the connection the Air 2 uses is a USB-C, unlike the Micro USB for the Mini, and it would have to be on a right angle

TIA

Yup...... they're gonna make us buy a whole bunch of new cables again, before we find one that fits/works properly.

/smh

If I end up purchasing the Air 2 at some point, I would plan to use an iPad as a flight monitor, so I have been looking at cable options. I have heard reports of folks buying generic USB-C to Lightning cables for this purpose only to find out they do not work for whatever reason - maybe due to lacking data capabilities or something. So far, the only one that I have found that I would trust is Apple's OEM cable:

It is a bit long, but until other known workable options come along, it can certainly be neatened up with a few zip ties of better yet, a short length of shrink wrap.

If I end up purchasing the Air 2 at some point, I would plan to use an iPad as a flight monitor, so I have been looking at cable options. I have heard reports of folks buying generic USB-C to Lightning cables for this purpose only to find out they do not work for whatever reason - maybe due to lacking data capabilities or something. So far, the only one that I have found that I would trust is Apple's OEM cable:

It is a bit long, but until other known workable options come along, it can certainly be neatened up with a few zip ties of better yet, a short length of shrink wrap.

Thank you! Added to my cart

SOOOO frustrating!

Reactions: Brockrock
Thank you! Added to my cart

SOOOO frustrating!
I agree. Certain things can be very frustrating about this hobby, but in the end, on that beautiful day when out flying, all is good...:cool:

Problem with USB-C is the standard is so wide they can all be proprietary unlike previous USB standards. Like the Skydio 2 will only work with their cable and I haven't found another one that works. I have 3 cables to try when I get mine and I'll be sure to post the findings.

0BA352F2-E0CB-47A1-8DE6-33F9D92C7074.jpeg

TIA

I have the MA2 combo ordered, probably be here next week. I may have a solution, the Mavic 2 Pro has a USB-C cable and its 11.5” inches in length, it does fit into my iPhone 11 with protective case. Pictured below is an iPad, but this cable will plug into my iPhone with protective case (not pictured).

I don’t know how long the MA2 USB-C cable is, but if it’s shorter than 11.5” inches and those having an extra M2P USB-C cable may want to use this cable if your phone has a protective case. Or, especially if using an iPad most definitely use the spare 11.5” USB-C cable off Mavic 2 Pro.

I’m assuming the Mavic 2 Pro USB-C cable works with the Mavic Air 2? Can someone try this M2P USB-C cable with the MA2 and report back. I’d like to know, I’m sure others would find this informative if we can use same USB-C cable from out Mavic 2 Pro.

Happy flying everyone,
Paul

When I was a tike an old carpenter told me, “Don’t sweat the small stuff and never pet the sweaty stuff.” ??

View attachment 100942

I have the MA2 combo ordered, probably be here next week. I may have a solution, the Mavic 2 Pro has a USB-C cable and its 11.5” inches in length, it does fit into my iPhone 11 with protective case. Pictured below is an iPad, but this cable will plug into my iPhone with protective case (not pictured).

I don’t know how long the MA2 USB-C cable is, but if it’s shorter than 11.5” inches and those having an extra M2P USB-C cable may want to use this cable if your phone has a protective case. Or, especially if using an iPad most definitely use the spare 11.5” USB-C cable off Mavic 2 Pro.

I’m assuming the Mavic 2 Pro USB-C cable works with the Mavic Air 2? Can someone try this M2P USB-C cable with the MA2 and report back. I’d like to know, I’m sure others would find this informative if we can use same USB-C cable from out Mavic 2 Pro.

Happy flying everyone,
Paul
I'm not sure what cable you might be talking about. The Mavic 2 RC has only a micro USB port for charging / data on the left side and a standard USB port on the bottom edge for data. DJI does offer accessory cables for the Mavic 2, but none would work for the Mavic Air 2, because its data port is USB-C to whatever interface your monitoring device uses - in my and the Op's case Lightning. I know all of these various connections and seeming lack of consistency is very confusing, but I don't want somebody to attempt plugging the wrong connector into a socket and likely break it...:oops:...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xyggi