DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air2sLM

Reactions
I’m going to California in a few days and I am unclear on some things. I am going to be at the Jedediah Smith State Park but when looking at various maps I see that it is inside the Redwood National park. I’m unclear as to whether I can fly my drone as it is called a state park and a national park? Any input is appreciated!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 5
According to the Klamath Falls FAA Sector map your biggest issue is the Smith River National Recreation Area. This is kind of a busy map but what you are interested in are the areas that are surrounded by a solid blue line with blue dots on the inside of the polygons they form. Those are areas with a 2000' flight floor for all aircraft which means for us they are no-fly zones. Jedediah Smith State Park is along US199 and falls almost entirely inside of this zone.

1689820325719.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Air2sLM
According to the Klamath Falls FAA Sector map your biggest issue is the Smith River National Recreation Area. This is kind of a busy map but what you are interested in are the areas that are surrounded by a solid blue line with blue dots on the inside of the polygons they form. Those are areas with a 2000' flight floor for all aircraft which means for us they are no-fly zones. Jedediah Smith State Park is along US199 and falls almost entirely inside of this zone.
The 2000' floor is a suggested minimum, not a hard limit.

Advisory Circular 91-36D is just that, and advisory. It's title is "Visual Flight Rules (VFR) Flight Near Noise Sensitive Areas", and it's from 2004. Drones weren't even on the FAA's radar.

Read the full AC here: https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC_91-36D.pdf

Have looked all over their website and other California State/National Park sites and found nothing. I’m gonna try calling them tomorrow.
I would be shocked if they tell you it's ok over the phone. If it is, I'll be going myself. :)

So this doesn’t really apply to drones in a way?
It's only voluntary. It's a noise abatement issue. We're not as noisy as manned aircraft. So not really.

Have looked all over their website and other California State/National Park sites and found nothing. I’m gonna try calling them tomorrow.
Have them also email you permission if you get it.

According to the Parks Dept. at Jedediah Smith State Park:
To protect the parks' rescources and to not interfere with other park visitors, there are several activities that will not be permitted. The following is just a partial list.

Tree climbing
Use of aerial drones
Commerial operations without a permit.
Commercial operations without necesssary insurance.

So if the ranger catches you in a tree while you are trying to retrieve your crashed drone -your in Double trouble, and if somebody's paying you to do it ...Forget about it...🤨 !

Last edited:
According to the Parks Dept. at Jedediah Smith State Park:
To protect the parks' rescources and to not interfere with other park visitors, there are several activities that will not be permitted. The following is just a partial list.

Tree climbing
Use of aerial drones
Commerial operations without a permit.
Commercial operations without necesssary insurance.

So if the ranger catches you in a tree while you are trying to retrieve your crashed drone -your in Double trouble, and if somebody's paying you to do it ...Forget about it...🤨 !
Thanks! Can I know where you found this? I looked for a very long time but never found anything!

CA law generally permits in state parks, "unless prohibited". Which means 1) check their web site; 2) call them; and/or 3) look for the general information sign at the park. In my experience they will always have a notice stating "No Drones" if it's prohibited (but not necessarily one expressly permitting drones). Here's a link:

Reactions: Air2sLM and Cafguy
There are many Parks in California that will allow you to fly drones. However there are some that will place themselves on the states No Drone list. This lists has the parks name and the reason behind the restriction ( 99% of the time they will say it is for Public Safety.) If the park is on this list you can ask a ranger at any time weather you may fly. You just might get a yes. I have done this myself at a state park and been able to fly all day. Some of these parks are commercial "hotbeds" and will require permits and fees, in those areas you will need lots of paperwork and months in advance to get them eg......Hurst San Semoen state park where a bunch of stuff is filmed.

There are many Parks in California that will allow you to fly drones. However there are some that will place themselves on the states No Drone list. This lists has the parks name and the reason behind the restriction ( 99% of the time they will say it is for Public Safety.) If the park is on this list you can ask a ranger at any time weather you may fly. You just might get a yes. I have done this myself at a state park and been able to fly all day. Some of these parks are commercial "hotbeds" and will require permits and fees, in those areas you will need lots of paperwork and months in advance to get them eg......Hurst San Semoen state park where a bunch of stuff is filmed.
I have seen many places that if you just ask a ranger you’ll have a good chance of being able to fly, so that’s what I’ll do no matter what cause there’s always a chance.

Unless it is a really popular park or they have some kind of protection zone for animals you might have good luck , You would be surprised at what they will let you do if you simply walk up to them and start a conversation. The rangers are after us punks with our little planes and cinewhoops anyways So a camera drone person might just get a pass.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas