DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

CALLING ALL TECHS! DJI Mavic Mini Gimbal repairs. Info reveal and firmware search. Come help.

Rogue Mavic

Reactions
Greetings. I am an UNOFFICAL DJI drone technician.
Lately I've been dealing with gimbal repairs going "sideways" literally. Aside from perfect installs of the new gimbals, these errors are ever present:
Gimbal IMU data error. Contact DJI Support for assistance. Code 40021
Gimbal overloaded. Check wether gimbal cam move freely. Code 40003
The gimbal gets stuck at 10% during calibration and never finishes. ( Mavic gets hot and camera motors over load do not leave ON) And the orientation of the gimbal is a full tilt to the right. The gimbal and camera function properly otherwise.

The Problem:
DJI recently changed something in the firmware requiring the replacement gimbals to need some sort of pairing with a firmware that "allegedly" only dealers have access to. I have been at several companies to give up the info, but to no avail. I also have my application in to DJI for authorized repair center, but the wait is been so long. Does anyone out there have an IN?

What doesn't work:
The firmware chip does NOT seem to be located on the camera module itself. I suspect its on the first PCB of the gimbals first motor. I've tested this by using the original module with the new gimbal assembly, but the errors remain. If you've broken the gimbal houseing then salvaging the original PCBs presents the challange of unmounting the motors.

Downgrading and then upgrading firmware through DJI Assistant:
Nope. no dice, don't bother. Its a different process all together.

I crashed my mini. The gimbal was torn out with one of the frame mounts broken, one rubber mount missing, torn ribbon connecting to the top of the gimbal; broken motor arm, and broken propellers. I went online and ordered from separate vendors what I needed which included new props, new ribbon, and lastly a new gimbal since I could not find a plastic frame sold separately. I replaced everything but when I started it back up I got a GIMBAL IMU ERROR 40021. I tried re-calibrating but doesn't solve the problem. The mini was test flown and flies perfectly, but the cam tilts to one side which makes it difficult to fly out of sight since the picture is distorted on the display.
I called an authorized tech in Miami. He said the reason why that error exists is when you purchase a new flat ribbon or a new gimbal cam, you have to purchase them together otherwise they do not sync correctly and the cam tilt is what you end up with. Unfortunately, when I purchased the Gimbal, it did not come with the flat ribbon and I purchased the flat ribbon separately from another vendor.
Does anybody know a cheaper fix for this problem? The tech quoted $348 including labor to fix the problem. After spending $400 for the mini and another $160 for parts I would prefer not to sink much more $ into fixing the problem.

Lately I've been dealing with gimbal repairs going "sideways" literally. Aside from perfect installs of the new gimbals, these errors are ever present:
The gimbal gets stuck at 10% during calibration and never finishes. ( Mavic gets hot and camera motors over load do not leave ON) And the orientation of the gimbal is a full tilt to the right. The gimbal and camera function properly otherwise.

The Problem:
DJI recently changed something in the firmware requiring the replacement gimbals to need some sort of pairing with a firmware that "allegedly" only dealers have access to. I have been at several companies to give up the info, but to no avail. I also have my application in to DJI for authorized repair center, but the wait is been so long. Does anyone out there have an IN?

What doesn't work:
The firmware chip does NOT seem to be located on the camera module itself. I suspect its on the first PCB of the gimbals first motor. I've tested this by using the original module with the new gimbal assembly, but the errors remain. If you've broken the gimbal houseing then salvaging the original PCBs presents the challange of unmounting the motors.

Any updates to your problem? Read my post below and you see I have the same issue 40021. I do not want to have to purchase another gimbal with flat ribbon to hope that it will work.

The Problem:

What doesn't work:

Did you ever resolve the problem? I'm still trying to find an answer,

I crashed my mini. The gimbal was torn out with one of the frame mounts broken, one rubber mount missing, torn ribbon connecting to the top of the gimbal; broken motor arm, and broken propellers. I went online and ordered from separate vendors what I needed which included new props, new ribbon, and lastly a new gimbal since I could not find a plastic frame sold separately. I replaced everything but when I started it back up I got a GIMBAL IMU ERROR 40021. I tried re-calibrating but doesn't solve the problem. The mini was test flown and flies perfectly, but the cam tilts to one side which makes it difficult to fly out of sight since the picture is distorted on the display.
I called an authorized tech in Miami. He said the reason why that error exists is when you purchase a new flat ribbon or a new gimbal cam, you have to purchase them together otherwise they do not sync correctly and the cam tilt is what you end up with. Unfortunately, when I purchased the Gimbal, it did not come with the flat ribbon and I purchased the flat ribbon separately from another vendor.
Does anybody know a cheaper fix for this problem? The tech quoted $348 including labor to fix the problem. After spending $400 for the mini and another $160 for parts I would prefer not to sink much more $ into fixing the problem.
I've change flat ribbon cable in my MM and it is fine. No error at all. It is not true that gimbal and ribbon are sold as pair.

MM gimbal has serial number. I'm not sure where the serial number is stored, wether in camera module or on the pcb that inside the gimbal casing which very difficult to remove.

MM firmware will detect gimbal serial number and if it doesn't match, it will give that "Gimbal IMU data error".

DJI has special software for their technician to re-pair new gimbal with MM mainboard.

If in your case the problem on your gimbal is just some broken mounting, maybe you can just glue that mounting using epoxy glue or try to swap the camera module to ur new gimbal

I've change flat ribbon cable in my MM and it is fine. No error at all. It is not true that gimbal and ribbon are sold as pair.

MM gimbal has serial number. I'm not sure where the serial number is stored, wether in camera module or on the pcb that inside the gimbal casing which very difficult to remove.

MM firmware will detect gimbal serial number and if it doesn't match, it will give that "Gimbal IMU data error".

DJI has special software for their technician to re-pair new gimbal with MM mainboard.

If in your case the problem on your gimbal is just some broken mounting, maybe you can just glue that mounting using epoxy glue or try to swap the camera module to ur new gimbal
Thank you for your prompt reply. Yes, I had replaced the gimbal cam and just the other day I was thinking if I just replaced the rubber mounts on the original gimbal/ cam, maybe the error would go away. And yes, one side of the frame mount was broken but I super glued it after I took it out of the fuselage. So you confirmed my theory. Back to the work bench; I will follow with an update once I have completed the re-swap.

Thank you for your prompt reply. Yes, I had replaced the gimbal cam and just the other day I was thinking if I just replaced the rubber mounts on the original gimbal/ cam, maybe the error would go away. And yes, one side of the frame mount was broken but I super glued it after I took it out of the fuselage. So you confirmed my theory. Back to the work bench; I will follow with an update once I have completed the re-swap.
How did it go?

How did it go?
Haven't tried anything yet. I have some other priorities. However, I remember that the cord from the cam was frayed and some of the tiny wires were disconnected so I don't know if connecting the original cam/gimbal is going to work.

Any new info on this? This has never happened to any Mavic or Phantom I've worked on, very frustrating!
I guess the original posters are no longer monitoring this because I have not been successful in finding out what they ultimately did to fix the problem. I was hoping to avoid sending my Mini off to a repair shop and spend $300 to have them pair the gimbal/cam with the IMU.

The Problem:

What doesn't work:

Went back and re-read your post, especially the "What doesn't work" portion. I was going to attempt to use the original cam with the my new gimbal but see you already tried that fix and it didn't work. Did you ever find a fix?

The Problem:

What doesn't work:

Hello Did you ever found a solution? I change my gimbal but not the camera but it keeps giving error 40003 do you think its the same problem or should I change the cable? Because it also tilts a little to the left. but video its fine and gimbal move correctly it only stays to the left and keeps giving me the error 40003

It seems like DJI is becoming the Apple of drone makers...time to move on?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SK farming