DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Calling iOS Pilots

BluesDragon

Reactions
I just got my first ever Apple product. I purchased a 'like new' Mini 4 (16g) to be used solely for the MP. I would like to be able to clear out (delete) any and all apps that will not be needing access by any of the MP apps (ie; DJI GO 4 and such). I will not be using it for FB, forums, email, messaging or anything other then the necessities to operate the MP. I don't want any unnecessary apps running in the background. I just want to free up as much memory and space for the MP to use as needed. I want to strip it down to the bare minimum. Problem is, not knowing this system, I'm not sure of what's safe or not safe to remove.

Also, this unit has iOS ver. 9.#.# on it and is asking to update to ver. 10.#.#... is this safe for the operation of the MP with DJI Go 4? I don't want it to update if I'm gonna have issues.

I searched for these answers in here before asking to no avail. I did, however, find a 'Do Not Disturb' function in the settings. Is this all I need to use to free up memory? Any guidance is greatly appreciated....

Just hold down your finger on any icon the ones you can delete will start to wiggle and you will see a little x in the corner, just touch the x and it's gone.

Settings - general - storage and iCloud - manage storage. From there you can see how much memory each app uses and you can delete what you like from there as well. I use a iPad mini 4 with latest iOS. Works great.

...Problem is, not knowing this system, I'm not sure of what's safe or not safe to remove.

Also, this unit has iOS ver. 9.#.# on it and is asking to update to ver. 10.#.#... is this safe for the operation of the MP with DJI Go 4? I don't want it to update if I'm gonna have issues..

There are no app that you can delete that are "not safe to remove".

Updating to the latest iOS is safe.

I just got my first ever Apple product. I purchased a 'like new' Mini 4 (16g) to be used solely for the MP. I would like to be able to clear out (delete) any and all apps that will not be needing access by any of the MP apps (ie; DJI GO 4 and such). I will not be using it for FB, forums, email, messaging or anything other then the necessities to operate the MP. I don't want any unnecessary apps running in the background. I just want to free up as much memory and space for the MP to use as needed. I want to strip it down to the bare minimum. Problem is, not knowing this system, I'm not sure of what's safe or not safe to remove.
Let us start from how you'd get it like brand new (to avoid any possible issues).
Go to SETTINGS -> GENERAL -> RESET -> ERASE ALL CONTENT AND SETTINGS (this will restore it to factory setting)
Once this is done, follow the startup step on your iPad mini 4.
Update to latest iOS ( GENERAL -> SOFTWARE UPDATE )
Download the DJI GO4 from App Store.

Also, this unit has iOS ver. 9.#.# on it and is asking to update to ver. 10.#.#... is this safe for the operation of the MP with DJI Go 4? I don't want it to update if I'm gonna have issues.
It is safe to update to the latest iOS version

I searched for these answers in here before asking to no avail. I did, however, find a 'Do Not Disturb' function in the settings. Is this all I need to use to free up memory? Any guidance is greatly appreciated....
You will not need to use 'Do Not Disturb' as you'll be just using the DJI GO4 APP.
Do Not Disturb basically will silence calls, alerts, and notifications.

You should be all good to go with this. Happy and safe flying!

Just hold down your finger on any icon the ones you can delete will start to wiggle and you will see a little x in the corner, just touch the x and it's gone.

lol... I was just freakin out on those wiggles! Not sure what I did but they started 'dancing' and I didn't know what I did. Took me a bit before I figured out a tap on the home button sat 'em still again. :rolleyes:

Perfect! thanks for the reply's guys... very helpful indeed. :cool:

Let us start from how you'd get it like brand new (to avoid any possible issues).
Go to SETTINGS -> GENERAL -> RESET -> ERASE ALL CONTENT AND SETTINGS (this will restore it to factory setting)

Very good input. When I took it outta the box and fired it up, it took me through the initial setup. Which led me to believe it had already been reset. I may do it even though... just to be safe.

@BluesDragon same case here.
I'm a huge fan of Android and can't see myself using an iPhone (I don't wanna fight with Apple fans, please!)
I traded my iPad 4 for an iPad mini 4 16GB just to use with my Mavic. I deleted all the apps I had on the first iPad just to let the new one (actually it's used) solely for "Mavic purposes".
It has the latest OS (10.3.1 since March 2) and it performs flawlessly.

Reactions: BluesDragon
Settings - general - storage and iCloud - manage storage. From there you can see how much memory each app uses and you can delete what you like from there as well. I use a iPad mini 4 with latest iOS. Works great.
Your confusing memory with storage. They're different things. You can have a full iPad and empty active memory. Memory is what is used to run the apps.

@BluesDragon a common misunderstanding about iOS is that apps in the background continue to run and use CPU and memory. However the OS was designed to be as conservative as possible when running apps in the background. So for that matter apps that do not have background functionality get put to sleep and/or shutdown and expelled from memory automatically. Restarting the device expels everything from memory naturally, but you will still seem them as apps last used when you flip through your list of recent apps that were used. Things like Pandora however, when playing music, continue to run in the background in a conservative state. The GUI elements of the app are moved aside and only the essential core functions needed to allow background playback will continue to run on your device. So unlike everyone, who thinks they are freeing up memory and CPU by closing apps, they're not really doing much. They'll probably free a couple of MB, which is very insignificant and will not free up any CPU unless the app is actively doing something in the background, downloading, streaming, or navigating you with GPS. Pokemon GO shuts down almost immediately when closed and has to restart when opened again.

I have the latest beta of iOS 10 and it's rock solid and works great with DJI Go 4. I use DJI Go without flight mode, and have about 127 apps in the background and haven't noticed any difference versus clearing them out and using DJI Go 4.

Lots of good advise here so far. But as one advisor stated,....there is a difference between storage and memory. As a previous poster stated,....go to setting and reset your device back to factory settings. (You can google how to reset your device back to factory settings) You will then need to set up your wifi so you can perform updates.
Then download DJI Go 4.
Finally, after getting everything set the way you want on the iPad Mini 4,.....and here's the kicker that I have not seen anyone else advise,.......and whats important,.....regardless within reason of what you have installed on the iPad mini,.....you want to shut down apps that are running in the background. To do this is very simple. From the home screen,.......push the home button twice quickly. Now slide each open app that you want to close up to the top of the iPad mini. Now you have the processor only working with your DJI Go 4 app.
Have an iPad mini 4 and it works great with latest IOS software.

Reactions: BluesDragon
Understood. Was not trying to say they did. I was just trying to state that he did not have to remove everything. But if he was not sure,.... shutting down the apps would most certainly clear up all available ram for the CPU's.

There's absolutely no need to delete anything from the iPad... it's not going to do squat except cause you heartburn.

Just use and enjoy it. Enjoy flying the Mavic and don't worry about the iPad... it can take care of itself, promise. :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ad60