DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Camera quality without an SD card

Neel194

Reactions
Can someone please tell me if the camera quality when shooting photos without an SD card is slightly lower than shooting photos directly onto the SD card?

new to the mini and haven’t purchased an SD card yet so I’ve been shooting photos to save on the app or phone. I’m not entirely impressed, I feel like my XS Max shoots better photos!

someone please tell me it gets better with an SD!

The quality is limited to 720P and you can have pixelisation if transmission is bad if you don't have SD card. The photo and video is always cache in you phone but you have a version with impressive quality if you use a SD card. You should invest a small amount for a SD card.

So technically the photos that are saved to photos on the app are essentially screen shots and not real photos?

And in other words, I’ll get the full 2.7k with an SD card?

you need an SD card in the drone to get the best image from it

Reactions: Thomas B
Once I have an SD card, can I view full capable quality photos on my phone through the app? Or will I need a computer?

• Wow
Reactions: Ex Coelis
Once I have an SD card, can I view full capable quality photos on my phone through the app? Or will I need a computer?
the card needs to be read by a computer to get the full benefit of the image quality or you can connect to a computer via the side port in the drone

Wait, so I need to download the photo through my computer through the SD or it will upload full quality direct to app once SD is in drone?

• Wow
You can manually download full resolution photos and videos from the drone to your phone when linked to it via the controller. The process is a bit slow, and most phone screens are a bit small to really appreciate the higher resolution photos/videos. Alternatively you can connect the drone to a PC via the usb cable and view/copy from the SD card, or take the card out of the drone and put it in a card reader and connect this to your PC or phone.

thanks @scro

how do I manually download to phone? Is it through the app? Most photos I keep on my phone for instagram etc...

• Wow
Yes, in the app go to album, where you can select photos and videos to transfer from the drone. You need the drone& controller switched on and phone hooked up to the controller.

Depending on the battery left and the volume of data captured, after I end my flight with everything connected, I transfer via WiFi the photos from the SD card on the drone to my phone. The latest FW update included improved transfer speed on the changelog, and although i cannot comment on how fast it was before, I see transfers of 5 Mbps which is OK for a couple of GBs.

If there are many videos/photos, I use a USB to micro S adapter and transfer them directly from the SD card to my computer.

The manual could be a bit more clear on how to copy an image from the drone to your phone/tablet.

While on the main screen, under the Shutter or video button is a small icon - a small triangle pointing to the right (in a white rectangle). This is a fairly universal symbol used on cameras to allow you to review your pictures.

Mini review.jpg

Next you will see previews of your pictures or videos. Tap on one of them to actually view it.
Mini download0.jpg

That will bring it up the picture/video. On that screen, in the lower left is another small icon - an open "bucket" with a down arrow. Tapping that starts the download from the drone to your phone/laptop. BE WARNED, while photos transfer pretty quickly, a video can take MINUTES and you are using battery power to do this transfer. I would not leave the drone flying while downloading a video.

Mini download.jpg

Reactions: Podworn
You will need a Micro SD card which is a very fast "Extreme" type 10 to get the best Videos and Photographs. I have a 64gb in my Mini so I have plenty of room to store 2.5 K video on it You will need the space if you intend to film for most of the time whilst flying with the available battery life of up to 30 minutes.

Also make sure you are viewing the actual photo and not the thumbnail image.

SD card needs to be U3 rated for high res video. Get a couple as they are small and easy to lose.

The manual could be a bit more clear on how to copy an image from the drone to your phone/tablet.

While on the main screen, under the Shutter or video button is a small icon - a small triangle pointing to the right (in a white rectangle). This is a fairly universal symbol used on cameras to allow you to review your pictures.

View attachment 100554

Next you will see previews of your pictures or videos. Tap on one of them to actually view it.
View attachment 100555

That will bring it up the picture/video. On that screen, in the lower left is another small icon - an open "bucket" with a down arrow. Tapping that starts the download from the drone to your phone/laptop. BE WARNED, while photos transfer pretty quickly, a video can take MINUTES and you are using battery power to do this transfer. I would not leave the drone flying while downloading a video.

View attachment 100556

hi yes I can access photos through the app on phone, never tried to download to phone yet. Does that however increase the quality if I download the image to phone library? As when I view the photos on app the quality is whack.

• Wow
hi yes I can access photos through the app on phone, never tried to download to phone yet. Does that however increase the quality if I download the image to phone library? As when I view the photos on app the quality is whack.

You get the full quality copy and not a thumbnail which is low resolution. Again, pictures are fairly quick to download while videos can really take time.

Yep so only works if I have an SD card inserted. Clicked download and said this is low res and need SD card for high rest photos

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParKOR