DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Camera Tab Image Size Options - 4:3 vs 16:9

Reactions
I've seen some posts that mention image size, but none of them were really asking "what is it and why do I need the two options?" So I'm doing that now. In the main menu of the DJI Fly app under the Camera tab there's an image size option with the two choices of 4:3 or 16:9. I don't know what those mean. I'm new(ish) to both photography and droning alike so the major difference I see is the smaller picture on my phone screen when recording. Surely that isn't the only difference however because why on Earth would it be? So what are the differences, and what are the advantages/disadvantages to both?

It's the aspect ratio of the image.
Remember TV before HD? That had an aspect ratio of 4:3 or for every 4 units across, the screen is 3 units down.
Traditional photos are around this ratio.

Today with widescreen HD, TV has an aspect ratio of16:9. For every 16 units across the screen is 9 units down.

When you scale an image with one aspect ratio onto a screen (or paper) with another, either you'll have the top/bottom blank (remember letterbox movies on old TV screens?) or the sides will be blank (old TV shows on today's TV without stretching horizontally the original to fit).

1080 is the vertical pixel count, 4K is the horizontal.

Last edited:
the two choices of 4:3 or 16:9. I don't know what those mean. I'm new(ish) to both photography and droning alike so the major difference I see is the smaller picture on my phone screen when recording. .. So what are the differences, and what are the advantages/disadvantages to both?
This diagram illustrates the two choices for you (on the right side of the pic).

i-wwRqPpH-L.jpg

4:3 gives you the full 12MP image, while 16:9 crops off a little of the top and bottom to give a slightly narrower image of 9MP.
The advantage of 4:3 is that it gives you the largest image possible and preserves cropping options for you to choose where/how you want to crop in your graphics software.
You could crop unwanted sky or foreground as you see fit.
But if you shoot 16:9 you have already thrown away 25% of the image, leaving you less options for cropping later and less to play with..

Last edited:
Hi ThugMuffin1990. For the stills photos, definitely use the 4:3 ratio. There's no advantage whatsoever in using 16:9, which only permits the drone to pre-crop the image or scope of what you can capture on a photograph. If you want to crop afterwards, it's so easy nowadays that even basic smartphones can do this. You are then in control of what you want to keep or crop (if at all).

I would also suggest you slightly underexpose by either -0.3 or -07. And google "rule of thirds photography" because this will really help with your composition.

All the best.

Reactions: Leckhart
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitoquin