DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Camera tilts slightly when moving drone left or right.

Just so I’m clear, the horizon should stay completely straight when I fly sideways at the maximum possibly speed? If I push the right stick all the way to the left or to the right and fly sideways as fast as I can, the horizon shouldn’t tilt one bit?

Just so I’m clear, the horizon should stay completely straight when I fly sideways at the maximum possibly speed? If I push the right stick all the way to the left or to the right and fly sideways as fast as I can, the horizon shouldn’t tilt one bit?

Nope, I wouldn't say that is set in stone at all.
Even as an MP owner, I know from looking at videos here taken on M2P and other places, that if you move fast the gimbal is going to take a moment or more to catch up, adjust, sometimes it takes a near stop or very slow to do so.

Filming is not generally done in its best form when using hard stick inputs, be it pitch, roll, yaw in any direction.
Slow stick movements are used for cinematic video.
Even Tripod mode where you want rock steady and very low speed is ok.

The other thing is, yes individual drones can vary.
You can get a good drone, or a 'lemon', just like anything in the consumer market.

So you might need to post that video (and link to it) of your problem to get a decent evaluation of other M2P owners.

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
if you put it that way then yes you might see alittle tilt briefly when you are slamming the mav back and forth,i thought you said there was a problem of gimble tilt when you turned the mav around an or moved in a normal way

Hopefully that link works and you can see what I’m talking about. You see the horizon slightly tilt as I begin moving left and then it levels out when I stop.

yeah i see that,my mpp did the same thing,try the assistant 2 firmware refresh i bet it will fix that

yeah i see that,my mpp did the same thing,try the assistant 2 firmware refresh i bet it will fix that
if i knew how to send you a video on how to do the firmware refresh i would send it to you,just go to the dji assistant 2 and you will see what i’m talking about its very easy

if i knew how to send you a video on how to do the firmware refresh i would send it to you,just go to the dji assistant 2 and you will see what i’m talking about its very easy
I figured out how and I refreshed the firmware. Didn’t fix the issue. It really bugs me that I’m having this issue.

Last edited:
Well, considering the fast cloud movement on the right I wouldn't be too surprised if it's just operating on the limit what is possible for such design. Full stick input, quite windy ... may lead to the delayed leveling of the gimbal.

Did you try other days on lower altitude too?
I don't want to say it's normal, but it could be explained, why you experienced it.

I figured out how and I refreshed the firmware. Didn’t fix the issue. It really bugs me that I’m having this issue.
Most of us have had to live with far worse in the past! Some still do on the I2!
No gimbal will ever be perfect in all circumstances. That is very minor horizon drift, and the speed at which you are flying sideways and the wind may be exaggerating the effect before recovery. If you still aren't happy with it, send it in. DJI will be happy to evaluate it for free.

I probably hit around 27 mph when I took that clip so maybe I was just going too fast. I tried it out today and went around 10 mph and noticed that the tilt didn’t happen. So it’s probably just too much input on the stick.

Reactions: Thomas B and PAW

Hopefully that link works and you can see what I’m talking about. You see the horizon slightly tilt as I begin moving left and then it levels out when I stop.
Looks like you were moving pretty slow so I don’t get why it keeps drifting like that. Wind maybe or does it do this all the time? I’ll need to test mine.

Looks like you were moving pretty slow so I don’t get why it keeps drifting like that. Wind maybe or does it do this all the time? I’ll need to test mine.
It looks like I was moving pretty slow but I was actually going in the mid 20s. When I go slower it doesn’t really do that.

It looks like I was moving pretty slow but I was actually going in the mid 20s. When I go slower it doesn’t really do that.
Was it also fighting wind at the same time, or was this in calm conditions?
Obviously, the more the gimbal has to correct for extreme angles in flight, the greater the perceived error will be.

That video kinda is weird to me, if you are rolling left, then the (any) gimbal tilt should be the other way . . . at least it is on my MP when it may appear with overly sharp stick movements.
Same as if you were hovering and there is a very stiff breeze coming from your left, the drone is pitched slightly that way, it usually shows with tilt towards the pitch direction, if the breeze gusts etc.
Yours almost seems like an over correction the opposite way.

Wouldn't you know it, I just looked through the Photo / Video section for an example, couldn't find one in 10 viewed, so found one of mine on YouTube
Check this at 0:45 as I start a roll / yaw around to the left, I get a little horizon tilt . . . it was also blowing pretty hard from the back before turning, so it came onto the left side as well through that turn.

But that is the way you expect a gimbal to tilt.

Your example video shows the opposite gimbal movement, so I wonder if it is over correction happening.

That video kinda is weird to me, if you are rolling left, then the (any) gimbal tilt should be the other way . . . at least it is on my MP when it may appear with overly sharp stick movements.
Same as if you were hovering and there is a very stiff breeze coming from your left, the drone is pitched slightly that way, it usually shows with tilt towards the pitch direction, if the breeze gusts etc.
Yours almost seems like an over correction the opposite way.

Wouldn't you know it, I just looked through the Photo / Video section for an example, couldn't find one in 10 viewed, so found one of mine on YouTube
Check this at 0:45 as I start a roll / yaw around to the left, I get a little horizon tilt . . . it was also blowing pretty hard from the back before turning, so it came onto the left side as well through that turn.

But that is the way you expect a gimbal to tilt.

Your example video shows the opposite gimbal movement, so I wonder if it is over correction happening.

So what would be causing this over correction the other way? It was fairly windy that day and I was going fast. I have no clue why else this would be happening

So what would be causing this over correction the other way? It was fairly windy that day and I was going fast. I have no clue why else this would be happening

I don't know Rick, and I don't think that sort of info comes up anywhere in any flight data.

I'd investigate this more by watching some video examples of gimbal tilt, and if it seems it is normally like mine above, you should probably ask DJI to check it out.
My experience of gimbal tilt = it's almost like a little FPV mode, it should normally tilt towards the movement at first, settling back from there after a short time, or if slowing / stopping.

Fairly windy and flying fast sideways would completely explain the minor horizon drift observed. Lower your expectations under those conditions. ;)

Reactions: PAW

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji