DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

camera woes,,,,,,

genesimmons

Reactions
hi all, long story short i think my camera is pooched,,,, in feb this year my poor mav took a bath,,,totally my fault,,,modding assend and decend she moves very fast,,,haha, dried her out and to my surpise she came to life once again, been using her regularly since, one out of 10 flights the camera would glitch, and by glitch i mean the black screen of death,,,,haha, so no video or pics, i usally land her then restart everyting and she works again, once in awhile it will get stuck on a panorama and hang,,,,,,,some times she just shows out of focus and wont focus then again i land and restart and she works, this wouldnt happen often but does happen, it seems to be getting more frequesnt to now, today i had to restart her about 5 times, very frustratng,, does this sound like a camera issue or did i damage something else,,,, any one else suffer from this issue, thanx

Reactions: Former Member
i think my camera is pooched,,,,

Yep! I'll agree with that

As it took a bath your best bet is to have it dismantled completely, this will give any moisture a chance to evaporate, but even after this, there's no getting away from the initial issue of water finding its way across the electronic componentry.

Last edited:
It is probably the slow but steady effects of water corrosion but it also may be a problem with your connecting cable, your display device, or Go 4. Try:
  • A different cable and insure your ports are clean
  • Clean up memory space your display device, turn off all other apps, and run in airplane mode
  • Upgrade or downgrade or reinstall Go 4
I mentioned the above because it will cost nothing but time to try, but it is probably water damage.

Last edited:
i want to try a new device anyways, the sony experia i use isnt near bright enough,i dont use dji go much i use litchi 99% of the time, i dont think its my cable as i bought a good one and its a right angle style and i never unplug it,the divce is for flying only,i sure want a huwai wunderphone but not available in canada at my local shops, coould the black screen be a device problem? i assumed water damage issue as thats the only thing thats happend never crashed her,seems to be getting worse though more frequent

What does the video from the Mavic's card look like? Same as what you see on your device?

What does the video from the Mavic's card look like? Same as what you see on your device?
hmmm i have never attampted a photo or video, as soon as she goes black i bring it back down and restart everything, i wll try and post the results,if the mav card shows pics does that mean its not my camera and could be software or some thing related?

hmmm i have never attampted a photo or video, as soon as she goes black i bring it back down and restart everything, i wll try and post the results,if the mav card shows pics does that mean its not my camera and could be software or some thing related?
yes. Fly while taking video till it goes dark, keep flying a few minute, land, pull the card and see if the video quits on the card too.
If it does, it is probably the Aircraft, if the video plays from the card without quitting, Its NOT the camera. Might be the device or device connection. BUT it still could be in the aircraft where it transmits to the RC.

sadly when she goes black it doesnt record,,,,,i tried with the phone i normally use and on litchi i get a error,,,,,,camera parameter not registered,,,,,on dji go it will seem like it focus on the black screen and makes sound like it took a photo but theres no photo,,,,, so do u think its dying camera,,,,,,

sadly when she goes black it doesnt record,,,,,i tried with the phone i normally use and on litchi i get a error,,,,,,camera parameter not registered,,,,,on dji go it will seem like it focus on the black screen and makes sound like it took a photo but theres no photo,,,,, so do u think its dying camera,,,,,,
Either the camera, or a camera component inside the AC.
Maybe @Thunderdrones could add something here, I am sure He can get you fixed up!

when the camera finally comes on she works great and focus and such all seem good, but seems to be getting worse, i had to restart the bird about 8 times to get the camera to come on,,,,,,

when the camera finally comes on she works great and focus and such all seem good, but seems to be getting worse, i had to restart the bird about 8 times to get the camera to come on,,,,,,
It is probably a result of the water damage just now getting the electronics corroded.

im crazy far away though, way overrrrrrrr in canada, shipping would prob kill me,,,,,haha

You can try replacing this board. I have a feeling thats what your problem is.

I had a customer last week with the same problem. I couldnt figure out what was wrong until I flipped the board over...

Connector top side looked fine, no broken pins.

1.jpg

But I flipped it over and voila. Corrosion. Now he's back in business. Not 100% sure this is your problem, but could be.

Corroded gimbal PCB 2 no name.jpg

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 31
  • Corroded gimbal PCB 2 no name.jpg
    Corroded gimbal PCB 2 no name.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 26
Reactions: SpinItUp
You can try replacing this board. I have a feeling thats what your problem is.

I had a customer last week with the same problem. I couldnt figure out what was wrong until I flipped the board over...

Connector top side looked fine, no broken pins.

View attachment 50560

But I flipped it over and voila. Corrosion. Now he's back in business. Not 100% sure this is your problem, but could be.

View attachment 50561
wow thanx soooo much for the info, where is that board located, is it something relativly easy to get at, whats the pricing and availability on those boards, that could be my issue, the camera itself seems to work fine,,,,when it works,,,haaha,

The board sits at the top of the gimbal and is held on by 3 screws. I sell them for $49 shipped PP USA. I'm not sure how much shipping to Canada might be, maybe $10 or more.

thanx
The board sits at the top of the gimbal and is held on by 3 screws. I sell them for $49 shipped PP USA. I'm not sure how much shipping to Canada might be, maybe $10 or more.
thanx very much for that info, ill check with my local repair shop if they have that board in stock, if they dont ill message u, that sounds very reasonable,again thanx for replying and sugesting that board

i checked my local repair shop and he doesnt stock them, have u had any luck cleaning the corrosion? i think i will take her apart this week and see if i have corrosion where u showed, if i do can i clean that up with alchohol and maybe a light brush? or is this a bad idea, do u have one of those boards in stock in case i screw everything up??haha

You can try to clean it up, and I do have the boards.

well i attempted to take the bird apart and to be honest i hoped there would be corrosion where u stated there may be but unfortunatly there was none and every thing looked good??? i sprayed some contact cleaner on the entire board anyways top and bottom, i then blew it dry with electontic compressed air,,, i hate to be a bother but is there any other sugestiones u can offer before i give up, i put her back to gehter and to my surpise everything came to life, the camera came on whoohooo but as soon as i went to take a photo it locked up,,,,, i restarted about 5 times and camera came on 1 time in 5 the last time it actually took photos, the camera seems to work well when it comes on, do u think it may be the camera itself? i am certain it was submerged,,,,,back in feb when i dunked her in the lake,,,, i didnt notice any corrosion on anythig inside the bird though, thanx for your help so far/ hope to get this bird back in the air, soon

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J S