DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can I please get some help? I am heart Broken....

In a case where you can't be sure, all you have to do is switch off the controller and that will initiate RTH (as long as you still have your Failsafe Action on the default setting of RTH.
Would switching flight mode and then pressing, for the required period, the RTH button on the controller once AND ONLY ONCE be an alternative?
As I understand it the switching of flight mode guarantees that any existing RTH is cancelled so the subsequent pressing of the RTH button would be guaranteed to trigger an RTH.

Would switching flight mode and then pressing, for the required period, the RTH button on the controller once AND ONLY ONCE be an alternative?
As I understand it the switching of flight mode guarantees that any existing RTH is cancelled so the subsequent pressing of the RTH button would be guaranteed to trigger an RTH.
None of that will have any effect if signal has been lost.
When you aren't sure whether signal is lost or not, and you don't want to cancel RTH if it has initiated, then switching off the controller will definitely kill the control signal and give you certainty.

Reactions: Zbip57
You all are real awesome for the help!!! I am just so miff with myself hey. I panicked and didnt react the way I should of. I was just really concerned as the drone started to come home due to battery but didnt seem to move and thats why kicked into sport. Oh well I aint a wealthy man and just got this on a loan for an early birthday gift but I guess when the 14th comes this month I will just pretend I am happy and not think about this thing having 23 months still to pay it off. Searched the Botanical gardens again to no luck. Going to go again tomorrow with my kid and hopefully a friend or 2 to see if we can find it. Rate if I dont find it I will sell the remaining 3 batteries and all the other parts to try see if I can at least lessen the extreme loss.

You all are real awesome for the help!!! I am just so miff with myself hey. I panicked and didnt react the way I should of. I was just really concerned as the drone started to come home due to battery but didnt seem to move and thats why kicked into sport. Oh well I aint a wealthy man and just got this on a loan for an early birthday gift but I guess when the 14th comes this month I will just pretend I am happy and not think about this thing having 23 months still to pay it off. Searched the Botanical gardens again to no luck. Going to go again tomorrow with my kid and hopefully a friend or 2 to see if we can find it. Rate if I dont find it I will sell the remaining 3 batteries and all the other parts to try see if I can at least lessen the extreme loss.
I genuinely hope you find it ☹️

Upon LOS, pretty sure the drone does whatever is programmed for LOS; which is RTH, HOVER, or LAND are the options in DJI Fly. So I'm inclined to think even if the drone is in RTH, it will do whatever the LOS condition is set to: when returning to home with signal, if the signal is then lost, the drone will cease RTH and just hover.

Upon LOS, pretty sure the drone does whatever is programmed for LOS; which is RTH, HOVER, or LAND are the options in DJI Fly. So I'm inclined to think even if the drone is in RTH, it will do whatever the LOS condition is set to: when returning to home with signal, if the signal is then lost, the drone will cease RTH and just hover.

In PF's message above, that would be the case if signal between controller and drone was still ok (controller led status), just video on device screen lost, or device flat battery (not much excuse for that !).
Besides switching to Sports mode, you could also press pause, I'm pretty sure, an easier one button press.

Hover or land would only function as failsafe if signal loss occurred, or of course RTH if that was set.
If a pilot has signal to control the drone, and presses RTH once, it will do so.
A pity the more recent controllers have no telemetry like older controllers, they tell you it's in RTH mode.

I personally see no reason to set failsafe to hover unless flying under tree canopy, inside / under structures etc, and then I'd want to be able to walk right behind the drone to keep good signal, or have the ability to get closer to reestablish signal if lost.

A lot would have to do if good GPS was present, or if enough light for good VPS functioning.
Every flight is unique in this side of the planning.

I can't see why I'd ever set it to land, too risky in general, I'd rather have it RTH or hover as failsafe choices.

RTH only. If flying sans GPS for whatever reason, the drone would never be far enough away to care what failsafe is set to: and I'd always be prepared to hand catch.

One generalised point not connected to the story of this thread but a failsafe of Hover or Land can end in a low battery RTH.
I have tested the former (failsafe set to hover) and flew my Mavic Mini out a bit and then switched the controller off, it did indeed hover .....until the low battery RTH kicked in, then it did RTH.
I have not tested the "Land" scenario but it is feasible that the drone could reject the landing site, if that happens it is likely to hover until the low battery RTH kicks in etc. etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
That's interesting. In DJI Fly, what I use for my Air 2, there is but one emergency option. I've assumed it kicks in if any of the LOS or Low Battery conditions happen. The function can be switched between RTH, Hover, or Land. I have not tested my Air 2 to see if Low Battery isn't part of that setting, or in fact overrides it.

In reading a few of the lost drone cases, drones have remained in one spot after losing signal, including cases where they ran out of battery. More digging would be needed to see if those were cases where a low battery RTH was canceled to extend flight time; then the signal was lost and RTH was no longer an option for the drone.

My bad, just being lazy: it's not emergency option, it's something else.

Page 38 of the Air 2 User Manual - In DJI Fly: [...] System Settings, Safety tab, scroll down to Advanced Safety Settings.

The screen looks something like this:
1636245677542.png

Actually - I am a bit amiss in that I can't explain why I thought it also affects low battery conditions.

So, OP, Adamisprimal, it has been 4 days since your post. There are hints at where it ended up. Have you tried to look for it? Also, I don't see an answer to the question about whether or not you had it marked with a label identifying you/address/phone #. No answer sort of leads me to believe you did not. Or I missed your response. If so, sorry.

Sorr
So, OP, Adamisprimal, it has been 4 days since your post. There are hints at where it ended up. Have you tried to look for it? Also, I don't see an answer to the question about whether or not you had it marked with a label identifying you/address/phone #. No answer sort of leads me to believe you did not. Or I missed your response. If so, sorry.
So its with a very heavy heart I am accepting that is is gone for good.... I did have my name and stuff on it. I have asked a friend who I thought still had a drone if we could do an arial fly over the park to see if we can find it from an arial view. So to end off not found it yet and will be really thankful if there are any South Africans from Pretoria that might be able to help me 1 afternoon?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skyscansurveys