DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can I Take My Drone To Mexico?

simon-riley

Reactions
Hi -

Traveling to Cancun next week from Chicago and wondering if we will have any trouble/issues taking our Mavic Drone Air to Mexico?

We don't want the airports/resorts to confiscate it!

Any experience out there?

Thanks!

@Pingman68 - sorry to sound dim, but what does stating it is an undocumented drone mean and how does that help? I'm off to Mexico in November and am also a little concerned, as I don't want it confiscated. I've also heard they may try and change some sort of VAT on the drone when you take it in.

@Pingman68 - sorry to sound dim, but what does stating it is an undocumented drone mean and how does that help? I'm off to Mexico in November and am also a little concerned, as I don't want it confiscated. I've also heard they may try and change some sort of VAT on the drone when you take it in.

Hi

Drones ARE legal in Mexico, however they need to be registered to fly if above certain weight, the information is in "legaleze-spanish" so I may be missinterpreting it, but someplace it refers that you cannot fly a drone registered in other country (I guess that's where the "undocumented" part comes)

You are legally authorized to import certain amount of merchandise with you plus personal belongings, which includes camera, laptop, etc. When I brought the drone to Mexico I was not asked to declare it, but if the case arised, I was ready to declare it as part of my photograph equipment, as the Mavic Air can be seen as a flying camera anyway ;)

My suggestion for yous safest trip:
- Keep the drone in your cabin bag, and if required, declare it as a personal tool for hobbie
- Keep common sense, police may not know the law, and you are a foreign, so stay on the conservative side
- DON'T fly on or over archeological sites, and DON'T publish videos/photos of them. There was a scandal recently about it, so authorities are specially in the look for that.
- Drones are considered expensive, so make sure you are in a safe area, sad to say it, but crime is high, flying a drone is like showing off a nice watch or your latest iphone

Pleased to talk further if you need more details

Sorry to have added confusion to this, but the use of quotes around the word was sarcasm, and no, telling customs that would not help. In fact it would only make matters worse. It would probably lead to a rigorous search of your luggage followed swiftly by body cavity search.

Last edited:
I would call the airline you are traveling with and ask, they will have the best answer on transporting your drone via aircraft. In Mexico you wont have a problem flying as long as you are responsible.

As long as you don't fly over any cartel compounds your good to go
Thanks for this one. You make me having my best laugh of the day.
I barely get 3 different emotions in this forum.
- learning a little from some
- desesperate a lot from many
- laugh sometimes :)
Thanks again, was a goooood one ahah

delete

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member