DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can one improve your Mavic 2 flying skills? (Pinching vs. Thumbing)

zeeeegerman

Reactions
Hey all,

i thought about how one can improve their flying skills, there are so many things we can tweak.. I suppose it all starts with:

what do you guys think?

This is a discussion for years in the R/C Airplanes community. The thru is that most of the Pro Pilots with excellent precision fly pinching, however many very aggressive pilots use thumbing with great results.

I personally use thumbing because of this how I learned and is hard brake the habit. There was a time I was flying IMAC and I was better by Pinching.
I guess this is very personal. The stick tension plays a good role as well.

Reactions: zeeeegerman
I find myself using thumbs but also use the side of my thumbs on the bottom of the sticks using pressure from pushing down on the top of the controller if that makes
sense to be steady and not jerky.

Reactions: Thomas B
I fly everything with thumbs. My FPV quads, wings, helis, and my Mavic... All thumbs. Just practice with what feels better to you. I have seen amazing pilots use both techniques.

On a side note I find it much easier to access additional switches on my Taranis when thumbing. An example is sliding one of FPV quads. Due to the use of airmode, the quad will bounce when I comes into contact with a hard surface as the flight controller tries to compensate. I simply disable airmode with a switch, hit the ground and slide under or down whatever the obstacle is, and then quickly hit the switch again while being able to keep my thumbs in place on the sticks when I'm back in the air. This doesn't really apply to a Mavic obviously but is an example of why thumbs works for me.

I use just my thumbs on top of and occasionally along the edges of the control sticks. I like to leave my index and middle fingers free to operate the scroll wheels and C1/2 buttons as needed, while my ring and little fingers support and stabilize the controller. I take mostly still images and very little video, but since I often fly with others either wearing goggles or gazing at the iPad, I like to try and keep the Live View as smooth as possible.

Reactions: Zeke
I use both. Thumbs for just out cruising and exploring, or transitioning from one point to another. Once I’m in position and am flying slow, precise, or in close quarters, I use pinch.

Thumbs, all Thumbs. I've always flown that way, I've tried the thumb finger mode and doesn't feel right. My reaction time is much faster using only THUMBS. lol. You will find much of the same controversy among billiard players on how to grip the cue.

Reactions: Zeke
Thumbs for me. Found that control is just as fine after a lot of flights... pick your fave and get familiar with it.

Interesting that there is another thread on the same question started yesterday by another member. Could be worth looking at if the topic really intrigues you.

I never tried the pinch method with the thumb on top. Always did it with both thumb and index on sides. This made it difficult to use the scroll wheels. However with your method, I think it may work better cause you can move index finger to control the wheel temporarily, while holding stick in place with thumb on top, and then return index to side to go back to pinch method without stick moving. Will give it a try. Thanks!

I use just my thumbs on top of and occasionally along the edges of the control sticks. I like to leave my index and middle fingers free to operate the scroll wheels and C1/2 buttons as needed, while my ring and little fingers support and stabilize the controller.
This. The scroll wheels and C1/C2 buttons = usually thumb.
Impossible to do a slow climb/pan/gimble tilt using pinch.
Pinch can be more accurate, and I sometimes do it in really hairy/tight spots. ?
But rarely.

I’m all thumbs, mostly because of many years of building up muscle memory. I’ve seen a few videos as to why the pinch method is preferred for more accurate flying, but when I tried it it seemed unnatural to me. Guess I spent to much time with the PS1, PS2, xbox360 and Xbox one?.
Blue Skies folks...

Like others have said there are excellent pilots who use both so I doubt if either is a hinderance. It's kind of interesting to see so many people on here use their thumbs though. I wonder how much of that is the younger generation using thumbs to play video games. A lot or airplane and heli pilots pinch but then you need a strap and usually a tray to hold your remote.

Reactions: Skyflyer129
I started flying R/C sailplanes years ago using the thumb method. That transferred easily to quadcopters. I think, go with what works for you, but more importantly consistent practice with various scenarios and challenging yourself is what will make you a better drone operator.

Reactions: ff22
I started flying R/C sailplanes years ago using the thumb method. That transferred easily to quadcopters. I think, go with what works for you, but more importantly consistent practice with various scenarios and challenging yourself is what will make you a better drone operator.
In general older European pilots use pinch and younger US pilots use thumbs, both for drones and for RC planes, gliders and helis
So it is pinch for me because I am a typical European old fart.....

Cheers

Serge

Reactions: Gringorio
I use thumbs.... You can also get adjustable sticks for more resolution so unscrewing them out a little bit will give you more resolution more precise movements.... Anyway I have used thumbs even flying my 3D heli's that's all I ever did... It's a personal preference thing really whatever is comfortable.... Look up tareq alsaadi one of the best 3d helipilots in the world....he is a "thumber" ......you should see his remote cam videos holy crap is he fast.

Reactions: Gringorio
This is a discussion for years in the R/C Airplanes community. The thru is that most of the Pro Pilots with excellent precision fly pinching, however many very aggressive pilots use thumbing with great results.

I personally use thumbing because of this how I learned and is hard brake the habit. There was a time I was flying IMAC and I was better by Pinching.
I guess this is very personal. The stick tension plays a good role as well.
makes sense. Man IMAC what size bird did you fly?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa