DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can unlocking drone in restricted airspace jeopardize Part 107 application?

Joe Herrera

Reactions
Site
www.engagingfilm.com
Twice now I've been to city parks that were a few miles from the restricted zone around an airport. Both times when I'm prepping the remote controller and the drone, I get the "request unlock" window popping up. I answered the questions both times and was able to unlock and fly. So, this is twice now. I don't know if my DJI4 app is giving me "false" map readings. My fear though is one of the questions asked if I had authorization and I answered yes, when I didn't. Will this later be used against me when I apply for the Part 107?

Reactions: BigAl07
If the flights were legal (i.e. in uncontrolled and unrestricted airspace) then you were correct to answer yes to the authorization question. If not, and the flights were not legal, then that is far more of an issue than how you answered the question to unlock the Geo system. However, unless the FAA learns about those illegal flights then it is hard to imagine how they could use it against you later.

Twice now I've been to city parks that were a few miles from the restricted zone around an airport. Both times when I'm prepping the remote controller and the drone, I get the "request unlock" window popping up. I answered the questions both times and was able to unlock and fly. So, this is twice now. I don't know if my DJI4 app is giving me "false" map readings. My fear though is one of the questions asked if I had authorization and I answered yes, when I didn't. Will this later be used against me when I apply for the Part 107?
That questsion should read more like, have you ever been fined or convicted for flying unauthorized in restricted airspace. Otherwise, your answer can be neither proven or disproven. Just answer what they want to hear. Don't be a martyr.
I suspect RID is supposed to help solve problems like this. If so desired the FAA can go back as far as they want into your "drone driving" record and see if you broke any rules. This way they can fine or suspend licenses from things you did in the past. Just like they do with driving cars today (sarcasm). LOL.

If the flights were legal (i.e. in uncontrolled and unrestricted airspace) then you were correct to answer yes to the authorization question. If not, and the flights were not legal, then that is far more of an issue than how you answered the question to unlock the Geo system. However, unless the FAA learns about those illegal flights then it is hard to imagine how they could use it against you later.
I have a question for you. I live next to a Municipal/Executive airport that is in Class G Airspace. It doesn't require LAANC. Apps like ALOFT, Airmap and others refuse LAANC requests when near it because it is not needed. HOWEVER, DJI is bowtie geofencing these types of airports. Why are they geofencing them? It made me think I needed LAANC, until I read the rules about these types of airports. But, now, if I don't complete their questionaire I am blocked from flying into the Bowtie. Are they doing this for liability reasons? Or is it something else?

I have a question for you. I live next to a Municipal/Executive airport that is in Class G Airspace. It doesn't require LAANC. Apps like ALOFT, Airmap and others refuse LAANC requests when near it because it is not needed. HOWEVER, DJI is bowtie geofencing these types of airports. Why are they geofencing them? It made me think I needed LAANC, until I read the rules about these types of airports. But, now, if I don't complete their questionaire I am blocked from flying into the Bowtie. Are they doing this for liability reasons? Or is it something else?

DJI's GeoFencing rarely (I've actually never seen it fit 100%) matches up to the FAA's Airspace polygons etc. They are indeed 2 wholly different animals and one does NOT represent or associate with the other.

DJI is trying to CYA as well as have some marketing leverage with "Trying" to assist in Airspace regulations. It's liability and marketing rolled into one not so accurate tool.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98