DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can you clear something up for me, please?

germ79

Reactions
Ok, guys, I got my first drone about a year ago - a Mavic Air - and I love it. I've flown it lots of places, always abiding by rules and following guidelines - calling towers for permission, etc.

I was recently reviewing my FAA status and trying to figure out the LAANC stuff and it would appear that I am registered as a "107 user". I see that there is a "recreational flyers" registration, too.

I'm not sure how I ended up with the 107 registration, but that's what I have. I went ahead and got a recreational flyer certificate the other day as well, but now I'm just thoroughly confused. I tried to call the FAA, but I think I have a better chance of flying my drone to the moon than talking to a live person about drones there.

So, can anyone help shed ANY light on this for me? I want to make sure I'm following the rules!

BTW, I do just fly for fun, so not commercial in nature at this point. I have considered that though.

Thank you in advance!

Not sure where th confusing is at this time. You had registered as if you were certified under Part 107 which was incorrect. You are now registered as a hobby flier. In "two days" * you will have access to LAANC for hobby flight and will then be able to fly within 5 miles of an airport.

* This is FAA time.... not real time.

Check the FAA YouTube channel. They have posted some webinar presentations as videos. Also there is a YouTuber named Heron who recently posted a video on the upcoming (July 23) start date for when recreational users can use the automated LAANC system to get approval to fly in restricted zones.

If you are in a non-restricted fly zone the basic FAA rules are no higher than 400 feet. Do not fly over people. And make sure you can always see the drone visually (without the use of FPV goggles). Again check FAA YouTube channel. Also make sure your FAA registration number is visible on the outside of the drone (you can no longer put the number in the battery compartment.

Reactions: WAXMAN
If I’m reading what I think you wrote, you don’t have a remote pilot cert but your account on the faa site says you do. It’s pretty straight forward. You either have a cert under 107 or you don’t. You likely made an error when you registered, the Faa didn’t register you. Don’t request authorization through laanc if you don’t have a remote pilot cert until it is available to recreational pilots, which unfortunately should be soon.

Also, go through your account and correct the error in your registration.

If I’m reading what I think you wrote, you don’t have a remote pilot cert but your account on the faa site says you do. It’s pretty straight forward. You either have a cert under 107 or you don’t. You likely made an error when you registered, the Faa didn’t register you. Don’t request authorization through laanc if you don’t have a remote pilot cert until it is available to recreational pilots, which unfortunately should be soon.

This is exactly what I'm asking. I'm registered under 107, but do NOT have a remote pilot cert. How is that possible? What do you mean the FAA didn't register me? I have the small uas registration certificate.

When you registered your drone the first thing you have to click is whether you are registering under 107 or as a exception for recreational flyers.

I guessing you clicked the wrong one. As to rectifying it, if you log into your account on that link select “manage sUAS inventory” then the drone in question. From there I’m not sure if you can fix it under the edit tab or if you would need to cancel the registration and re register correctly.

So, can anyone help shed ANY light on this for me? I want to make sure I'm following the rules!
You can find all of the rules you need to follow here:

It's easy to end up on the wrong registration page. However flags should pop up when you get asked all sorts of things about your quad, and it indicates registering for each drone.
Hobbyists only register once for themselves regardless of the number of quads. I'm pretty sure for 107 each quad is registered.
I don't think it's a big deal selecting the wrong one though. Both are the same cost if you only have one quad.

In "two days" * you will have access to LAANC for hobby flight and will then be able to fly within 5 miles of an airport.

Just wanted to point out as of May 17, there is no such rule as 5 miles from airport anymore.
"To be able to fly within controlled airspace" is more accurate.

This is exactly what I'm asking. I'm registered under 107, but do NOT have a remote pilot cert. How is that possible? What do you mean the FAA didn't register me? I have the small uas registration certificate.
What's happened is the poor design of the FAA registration website: Register Your Drone
... led you to click on the first option: UAS Flown by Certified Remote Pilots including Commercial Operators (Part 107)
... instead of the 2nd option: UAS Flown by Recreational Flyers and Modeler Community-Based Organizations (Formerly Section 336)

That's no problem as you could still fly either way with the first registration option.

What's happened is the poor design of the FAA registration website: Register Your Drone
... led you to click on the first option: UAS Flown by Certified Remote Pilots including Commercial Operators (Part 107)
... instead of the 2nd option: UAS Flown by Recreational Flyers and Modeler Community-Based Organizations (Formerly Section 336)

That's no problem as you could still fly either way with the first registration option.

Is the naming convention for 107 the same for Part 101E?
If not, he needs to be registered with the hobbyist Part 101E
Also, hobbyist registers the pilot while 107 registers EACH drone.

Some drone pilots’ ignorance is only exceeded by their arrogance. I’ve little doubt that there are plenty of Part 107 pilots who fly in an irresponsible manner. For reasons you fail to share, you don’t appreciate recreational pilots. Too bad. We, more than you, have built up this wonderful hobby and we’re not going away. I suspect you don’t play well with others.

Frain Bart !!

Last edited:
Some drone pilots’ ignorance is only exceeded by their arrogance. I’ve little doubt that there are plenty of Part 107 pilots who fly in an irresponsible manner. For reasons you fail to share, you don’t appreciate recreational pilots. Too bad. We, more than you, have built up this wonderful hobby and we’re not going away. I suspect you don’t play well with others.

Simply not true.

Even if you've registered as a recreational pilot the opening screen brings you to the dashboard for the part 107 section. You can click on the recreational dashboard bar at the top that should bring you to your "recreational dashboard."

If you still are registered incorrectly, an email to [email protected] explaining your predicament should get things corrected.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boonaga