DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can you fly IN an airport building?

jeffcutler

Reactions
It seems to me that you’re allowed to fly within buildings no matter where these buildings are. So, if you were at the center of LaGuardia airport, shouldn’t you be allowed to fly your drone inside the airport terminal?

shouldn’t you be allowed to fly your drone inside the airport terminal?
The airport likely has rules that would prohibit you from flying your drone inside. However, you could legally do it if they allowed it. The FAA does not control indoor flights.

I think you'd be violating a lot of other Reg' about flying near people - but if you give it a go, get it on YouTube so we can have bets on how quickly Airport Security closes you down. :D

you can't fly over people PERIOD additionally why do you want to fly in an airport terminal????
Why would bring a drone onto airport property ?
Would you bring a gun into an airport terminal, you are not going to fire it you just want to show it around so no harn no foul:eek:o_O
Why do you even think about tap dancing on a land mine because that is what you are doing with a drone in restricted air space, in a building around people.
This is why we get slammed by government regulations
mikemoose55

Reactions: Peter Hughes
I don't recall seeing a "No drone" sign in airports. Maybe because it is assumed no flying drone anywhere with a few miles of an airport, inside or outside. I guess the first person who thinks it's a good idea to fly their drone inside an airport, major airports would start putting up "No drone" signs pretty quickly. Some people just love pushing the boundaries.
And I bet the person who tries it, won't get a polite "please put your drone away". He'll be lead into a little room... with cuffs.

Reactions: lawmann
Ive got a few micros, they're great in the mall. I haven't hit the airport yet, but LeDrib has

My next build is going to be a 2s micro, with an onboard HD camera. You can fly these anywhere

Last edited:
It is not against the law to have a firearm in an airport terminal .
It is if you pull it and display it or worse yet use it.
It also is not against the law to have a drone in an airport but i certainly would not recommend operating one.
who do some people just insist on pulling a dragons tail??????????
mikemoose55

It is if you pull it and display it or worse yet use it.
It also is not against the law to have a drone in an airport but i certainly would not recommend operating one.
who do some people just insist on pulling a dragons tail??????????
mikemoose55

In my state it is legal to open carry (display) your firearm in an airport terminal.

That being said just because something is legal to do doesn’t mean you should. Our rights are under attack from all sides. We as firearm owners and drone pilots alike should consider more than whether something is legal or not before we indulge. jes my .o2

Could you fly inside the terminal at LGA? Seriously?
Of course you could. In fact, I think we should organize a fly in. Wouldn't it be great if hundreds of us showed up one day and did just that? What could possibly go wrong??

I don't recall seeing a "No drone" sign in airports. Maybe because it is assumed no flying drone anywhere with a few miles of an airport, inside or outside. I guess the first person who thinks it's a good idea to fly their drone inside an airport, major airports would start putting up "No drone" signs pretty quickly. Some people just love pushing the boundaries.
And I bet the person who tries it, won't get a polite "please put your drone away". He'll be lead into a little room... with cuffs.
Don’t think they really need to have those signs when most people can utilise common sense

Reactions: packnrat
In my state it is legal to open carry (display) your firearm in an airport terminal.

That being said just because something is legal to do doesn’t mean you should. Our rights are under attack from all sides. We as firearm owners and drone pilots alike should consider more than whether something is legal or not before we indulge. jes my .o2

Yes that is true in many states HOWEVER if we as drone owners were as careful and sensical as registered gun owners a bunch of these conversations we are having here would never have happened.here!
mikemoose55

Reactions: 787steve
It is amazing how stupid some people can be. One day while walking down A Concourse in ATL, I heard an alarm blaring. The concourse was very lightly populated at the time as it was a lull between cycles. I looked ahead and saw one of the Emergency Exit doors partially opened. I went over to investigate and found a lady standing outside, blocking the door from closing with her foot. The reason she was positioned that way was so she could have a smoke! I was in uniform and I think I shocked her when I told her she couldn't be out there. She told me that she was told the smoking room was down this way. I told her that this wasn't it, and made her come back inside. I don't know how she could stand being right next to that door with an extremely loud shrill alarm going off.
But I did have two beliefs reaffirmed that day. Addiction is a terrible thing. People, even normal people can, given the right circumstances, be amazingly stupid.

It is not against the law to have a firearm in an airport terminal .

Depending where you live. Some states prohibit firearms at airports.

Michigan allows firearms to be carried at airports, federal law only prohibits firearms beyond the tsa checkpoint.

Depending on your carrier and where you are traveling to, you can have a gun in checked baggage as long as you follow the proper rules.

Reactions: TR Ganey
you can't fly over people PERIOD additionally why do you want to fly in an airport terminal????
Why would bring a drone onto airport property ?
Would you bring a gun into an airport terminal, you are not going to fire it you just want to show it around so no harn no foul:eek:o_O
Why do you even think about tap dancing on a land mine because that is what you are doing with a drone in restricted air space, in a building around people.
This is why we get slammed by government regulations
mikemoose55

It should be legal from the FAA standpoint. No reason for the FAA to legislate either way as there are numerous city and state ordinances dealing with hazardous conduct. One might reasonably be able to operate a drone inside a hangar or large building, but the terminals just aren’t going to cut it.

It is amazing how stupid some people can be. One day while walking down A Concourse in ATL, I heard an alarm blaring. The concourse was very lightly populated at the time as it was a lull between cycles. I looked ahead and saw one of the Emergency Exit doors partially opened. I went over to investigate and found a lady standing outside, blocking the door from closing with her foot. The reason she was positioned that way was so she could have a smoke! I was in uniform and I think I shocked her when I told her she couldn't be out there. She told me that she was told the smoking room was down this way. I told her that this wasn't it, and made her come back inside. I don't know how she could stand being right next to that door with an extremely loud shrill alarm going off.
But I did have two beliefs reaffirmed that day. Addiction is a terrible thing. People, even normal people can, given the right circumstances, be amazingly stupid.

Steve, if you’ve been on the job more than five minutes, you already knew the second part! But that’s what makes the job interesting.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DJIMavic3cine