DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can you keep a Mini 2 on standby with a charging cord?

iansmith

Reactions
I am a new Mini 2 owner but already have found times I want to keep the drone powered on and satellite locked so I can launch immediately.

But even with the rotors off the battery drains surprisingly quickly while the drone is awake.

Can I leave it plugged in and on, and then just pull the plug and launch to keep the battery charged?

I am guessing this would be a no, just based on how hot it gets just sitting there. But thought I'd ask as I'm not sure how the charging system works. If it would be constantly depleting and recharging the battery that would be bad I know.

I am a new Mini 2 owner but already have found times I want to keep the drone powered on and satellite locked so I can launch immediately.

But even with the rotors off the battery drains surprisingly quickly while the drone is awake.

Can I leave it plugged in and on, and then just pull the plug and launch to keep the battery charged?

I am guessing this would be a no, just based on how hot it gets just sitting there. But thought I'd ask as I'm not sure how the charging system works. If it would be constantly depleting and recharging the battery that would be bad I know.
I love tricks and fast start ups such as hot swapping the Batteries on the Mavics and Starting the Drone before the Smart Controller has fully set up but this will not work.

The drone simply will not start once its plugged in , it wont power up .

If you power it up first and than plug it in, it just ignores the Battery as it cannot do both functions if that was what you were asking.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mini 2 in the Rain and Land on the Water.

From MM2 the manual:
"The Battery cannot be charged if the aircraft is powered on and the aircraft cannot be powered on during charging". You can do one or the other, but not both. Powering on and acquiring satellites usually only takes a couple of minutes.

Cheers!

Reactions: Lastrexking
My experience is that the Mini 2 will overheat if it is turned on but not flying. I have heard of others pointing a fan at it...

You can't even do a proper preflight check list before going up that fast. Very important to verify the map shows you home and not somewhere else to prevent a flyaway. Doesn't take that long to do it in the proper sequence.

It doesn't take too long, no. But when you want to get your drone up NOW and you have to switch everything on and wait for a good GPS lock then 60 seconds can seem like forever.

But I guess I'm just impatient. I just want to throw it into the air and have it's sensors detect it and instantly switch on and start flying. :)

It doesn't take too long, no. But when you want to get your drone up NOW and you have to switch everything on and wait for a good GPS lock then 60 seconds can seem like forever.

But I guess I'm just impatient. I just want to throw it into the air and have it's sensors detect it and instantly switch on and start flying. :)
You will for sure ruin the battery if you keep it fully charge all the time! Bad idea.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada