DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Canada Eases Drone Rules

Lou

Reactions
Not sure if this has been picked up elsewhere but I noticed today that there have been some some subtle but significant changes to the Canadian drone rules.

Here's the 'new' version... (bold by me)

• within 90 m above the ground or lower
• at least 30 m away from vehicles, vessels, and the public (if your drone weighs more than 250 g up to 1 kg)
• at least 75 m away from vehicles, vessels, and the public (if your drone weighs more than 250 g up to 35 kg)
• at least 5.5 km from aerodromes (any airport, seaplane base, or areas where aircraft take-off and land)
• at least 1.8 km away from heliports or aerodromes used exclusively by helicopters outside of controlled or restricted airspace
• at least 9 km away from a natural hazard or disaster area
• away from areas where it could interfere with police or first responders
• during the day and not in clouds
• within your sight at all times
• within 500 m of yourself or closer
• only if clearly marked with your name, address and telephone number

What I noticed right away is the new weight class differentiation, the reduced NFZ distance around airports, and especially helipads, and dropping the reference to animals.

Reactions: AlanTheBeast
I saw that! Yes no mention of buildings... or registration... or licensing... or liability insurance... yet. I also read this morning that the FAA is considering proposals for electronic monitoring of UAV's. They must still be pissed that the registration law got thrown out. Still waiting for my 5$ back....lol

By the way the bit that goes: "• at least 1.8 km away from heliports or aerodromes used exclusively by helicopters outside of controlled or restricted airspace"

Is wrong! They screwed up their own pamphlet.!!!!

Hopefully they continue to adjust them to the point we end up with a fair & comprehensive set of rules in Canada !

Can't believe that the stupidity of having one's name, address and telephone number on the drone is still there following the (very slight) edit!!

Can't believe that the stupidity of having one's name, address and telephone number on the drone is still there following the (very slight) edit!!

In Germany it would have to be a fire-proof metal plate and you would need liability insurance.

Things like a contact label are small beer, IMO. (And could help you get your drone back after a fly away ...).

I've been mapping the new rules in Google Earth - makes a huge difference - esp. the 1.8 km radius circles around each heliport that is registered in the CFS. I'll take it.

But the 75 m rule for 1 Kg drones is dumb. (My P4P is 1.4 Kg). If a Mavic hits someone at 50 km / hr the damage won't be much less!

I've been mapping the new rules in Google Earth - makes a huge difference - esp. the 1.8 km radius circles around each heliport that is registered in the CFS. I'll take it.

Do you have a public link to your map?
thanks in advance

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tenakeetwo