DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Canada No-fly zones map https://nrc.canada.ca/en/drone-tool/

I walk down to the lake, though, and fly from there over the water, not off the top of the Bluffs, so we may be talking about different parks.
It was quite a while ago when I was last there. But it was in the park below the bluffs, on one of the pathways out to the lookout point on the water.

It was quite a while ago when I was last there. But it was in the park below the bluffs, on one of the pathways out to the lookout point on the water.
Near the harbour? I flew there years ago and there was no sign then.

Usually I head down through Cudia park, east of the harbour and yacht clubs, where it's not crowded, and fly there. Also avoid weekends, because I dislike crowds.

I do want to get a shot of the harbour again, but I'll do that from a private yacht club (friend is a member) so park bylaws don't apply. Plus they have good coffee :)

• Haha
Reactions: Jagerbomb52
I disagree with you here. What we have works well, and it's not like you can easily get into a provincial park and not realize it — most parks (other than Alberta, IIRC) have entrance gates and require payment.

What about municipal parks? Conservation areas? There are lots of smaller authorities that have banned drones. But like Agustine said upthread, what they have banned is operating a drone from their land, not flying a drone over it, because they don't have that authority
There was a park in Toronto that started to be used for kite-fighting competitions. Strong string, often with added glass to cut other kite strings, and people were getting cut on abandoned string left behind by the competitors (not to mention the risks of low-flying fighting kites slicing someone).

Don't know if the Bluffs is where that happened or not. It was a couple of decades ago and I wasn't paying much attention.

I've flown off the Bluffs a few times. Didn't see any signs prohibiting drones (and I checked). I walk down to the lake, though, and fly from there over the water, not off the top of the Bluffs, so we may be talking about different parks.
You have to be there to see the entrance. For planning it is too late. I like to plan before I go to find where I can fly or not

I disagree with you here. What we have works well, and it's not like you can easily get into a provincial park and not realize it — most parks (other than Alberta, IIRC) have entrance gates and require payment.

What about municipal parks? Conservation areas? There are lots of smaller authorities that have banned drones. But like Agustine said upthread, what they have banned is operating a drone from their land, not flying a drone over it, because they don't have that authority.
You have to be there to see the entrance. When you plan at home the map is useless when it comes to provincial parks

This is an old thread but it is still relevant and never fully answered the critical question - is there a reliable source of provincial parks that shows the actual legal park boundaries in relation to roads that may run through the park. For example, it looks like Canada Hwy 16 runs through Mt. Robson Provincial park, but the road is not part of the park once it leaves Jasper National Park. If that is indeed the case then it should be legal to take off from the road side and fly within VLOS, as indicated by @Jagerbomb52

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glenn-S